Free Book of the Month (June 2015) Live

Page 4 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 91 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2226
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 10:49 AM

This is the bestest freebie deal ever! Thanks FL.

As for the plight of you early subscribers, my heart goes out to all of you. My hopes are that Bob will do something like dynamic pricing, giving back the cost of these two volumes for those who supported the set early. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3643
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 11:12 AM

Beloved:
This is the bestest freebie deal ever! Thanks FL.

You might have forgotten a couple superlatives as in "the most bestest of them all forever!" Wink

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:07 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. While it is great to hear the positive excitement about these fantastic resources, I want to take a moment and acknowledge some of the concerns as well. 

I too have purchased the 44-volume set. I believe in this series, and am looking forward to receiving the rest of the volumes as they become available. And yes, the best way to get these incredible volumes is through purchasing the entire collection. 

Our goal with Free Book of the Month is two-fold: to showcase new and/or exciting resources for our current users, and to offer appealing opportunities for new users to explore our platform. By purchasing the entire set, you are already on the cutting edge of our user base. Let me assure you that the added attention and adoption of this commentary series helps us all. 

In the meantime, we will be working out a special “thank-you” to early adopters of the EEC. You’ve helped us see this project this far and we want to ensure that you remain as committed as we are. Watch your inboxes for details over the next few days. 

Posts 9954
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:16 PM

Jonathan, excellent.  I don't have the set but credibility matters.

Posts 1813
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:20 PM

Thanks Jonathan for the update. 

Posts 3643
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:32 PM

Jonathan J Watson:
In the meantime, we will be working out a special “thank-you” to early adopters of the EEC. You’ve helped us see this project this far and we want to ensure that you remain as committed as we are. Watch your inboxes for details over the next few days. 

I am not one of these series purchasers, but I am happy to read this. Yes

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:43 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

This doesn't apply to me, but I'm pleased to hear this for the early adopters.

Also, I think this gesture speaks volumes about kind of company FL is. Yes

Posts 2226
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 2:46 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

Righteous Yes

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 19
LogosEmployee
Justin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 2:50 PM

In case you all didn’t see it, here’s a link to the blog update we posted for the EEC in February: https://blog.logos.com/2015/02/whats-new-for-the-eec-in-2015/

Here’s some more current news:

• Jude: This volume will release next. Copy editing is nearly done (within 2-3 weeks!). From there it will go to post-production for tagging (3-4 weeks) and then it will be ready to ship! This might be the most in-depth commentary on Jude ever. Jude is only 25 verses in the Bible, but the commentary will be around 250,000 words.
  • 1 & 2 Samuel: We’re still on track to release this volume in the fall. Copy-editing is well underway. This will be a fantastic volume. Like Jude, it is also incredibly thorough (over 600,000 words).
  • Ephesians: The writing is done and the review is done. As soon as copy editing is finished for Jude, Ephesians is next. I’ve heard nothing but good things about this volume from Wayne House, Hall Harris, and Andrew Pitts (General Editor and NT Editors for the EEC). We can’t wait to get it out to you all.
  • 1 & 2 Chronicles: Eugene Mayhew has finished writing this volume and Bill Barrick (OT Editor) is currently reviewing it. Then it will go to Wayne House for review. It shouldn’t be too long before it’s ready for our copy editors.
  • Jeremiah: Walt Kaiser and Tiberius Rata are also done writing. JoAnna Hoyt (recently joined the EEC editorial team on the OT side) is currently reviewing it.
  • Philippians: Mark Keown is done writing. Andrew Pitts is currently reviewing it.
  • Numbers: Writing on this volume is progressing well. This volume won’t make the July 1 date, but the content will be better for it. It’s shaping up to be an excellent volume.
  • Others: All other EEC volumes are in various stages of authorship. We have an amazing team of authors and they’re all working hard to write content that will advance scholarship and enrich your study.

In an effort to quicken the editorial process we’ve recently added JoAnna Hoyt (mentioned above) as well as two additional copy editors to the EEC team.

Commentaries are incredibly intricate and often those complexities cause delays. We often hold out hope that we will reach the estimated dates and wait too long to extend them. In the future we will update our estimations sooner and post updates like the one above more frequently.

Thank you all again for supporting the EEC. Watch for Jude and 1 & 2 Samuel. We can’t wait to release them!

--Justin Marr, Associate Publisher, Production and Trade, Lexham Press

Posts 2300
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 2:57 PM

Thanks for the update.  I can't wait to see them.

Posts 8829
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 3:09 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

Wow, thank you. Faithlife always goes the extra mile to do the generous thing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 6:04 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

That is very gracious. Thank You.

Posts 10446
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 6:26 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

Big Smile I'm watching and I'm smiling Big Smile

Thank you Jonathan & FL

Posts 221
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 4:48 AM

Jonathan J Watson:

That's a really nice gesture. Thanks in advance!

Posts 221
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:10 AM

Justin Marr:
Here’s some more current news:

Thanks a lot for the detailed update, Justin! This really gives us a better idea of what's going on behind the ever changing dates mentioned on the website. 

Would you mind elaborating a little bit on what you wrote under "Others"?

Justin Marr:
Others: All other EEC volumes are in various stages of authorship. We have an amazing team of authors and they’re all working hard to write content that will advance scholarship and enrich your study.

There are about 13 volumes that say 'TBA' under 'Estimated Publication Date'. Does that mean that these volumes will be published even later than the latest date mentioned on the website (2019, Job)? Or might they be published sooner? Would it be possible to give an estimated year of publication (e.g. "2017, or 2017-2018")? It would give early adopters (and others) at least an idea of which commentaries volumes are actually being worked on and might come out sooner or later.

For three of those TBA-volumes, even the author of the volume is still to be announced (Romans, 2 Corinthians, and Amos/Jonah/Micah). Can you explain to us what this means? Does it mean that it really is still unknown who's going to write the commentary? Or has the author started on writing already but you wait with the announcement up to a certain point? 

One final question.The website says: "The entire 44-volume set will be available in 2019". Do you expect that to happen?

Posts 10446
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 10:24 AM

André Kamphuis:

There are about 13 volumes that say 'TBA' under 'Estimated Publication Date'. Does that mean that these volumes will be published even later than the latest date mentioned on the website (2019, Job)? Or might they be published sooner? Would it be possible to give an estimated year of publication (e.g. "2017, or 2017-2018")? It would give early adopters (and others) at least an idea of which commentaries volumes are actually being worked on and might come out sooner or later.

For three of those TBA-volumes, even the author of the volume is still to be announced (Romans, 2 Corinthians, and Amos/Jonah/Micah). Can you explain to us what this means? Does it mean that it really is still unknown who's going to write the commentary? Or has the author started on writing already but you wait with the announcement up to a certain point? 

One final question.The website says: "The entire 44-volume set will be available in 2019". Do you expect that to happen?

Very good questions. Others of us would also like to hear the answers to them.

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 11:14 AM

Jack Caviness:

André Kamphuis:

Very good questions. Others of us would also like to hear the answers to them.

Yes

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 12:16 PM

Paul Caneparo:

The free books of the month are getting better as are the Plus Ones. Probably makes up for the money I spend each month. It's much appreciated to have quality free books offered by Faithlife.

I'm looking forward to the day when they get so good that they'll offer the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew as a free book (or even for 99¢ (I can dream, can't I?  Big Smile).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19
LogosEmployee
Justin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 4:59 PM

André Kamphuis:

There are about 13 volumes that say 'TBA' under 'Estimated Publication Date'. Does that mean that these volumes will be published even later than the latest date mentioned on the website (2019, Job)? Or might they be published sooner? Would it be possible to give an estimated year of publication (e.g. "2017, or 2017-2018")? It would give early adopters (and others) at least an idea of which commentaries volumes are actually being worked on and might come out sooner or later

1. Yes, we will work on posting an estimated year of publication for the volumes currently listed as "TBA".
  2. We have authors lined up for the three "Author: TBA" volumes you mentioned, but there are still a few details to work out. Once the details are finalized we will post the author names (soon). For various reasons, a few authors have had to leave the series before completing their volume. 
  3. We're evaluating the 2019 date with our authors and editors and will send out an update once we have an answer to this question.
Posts 8829
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:11 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Jonathan J Watson:

Wow, thank you. Faithlife always goes the extra mile to do the generous thing.

It didn't take long for Faithlife to respond. I just received an email with a gift certificate because I purchased the entire set when it was first offered.

Thanks so much for your generosity!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 4 of 5 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS