Apple iPad and Logos

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:07 PM

As you probably know, Apple just announced the iPad today. We will be able to access our Logos libraries in a new way using that device. Although the iPod/IPhone app is wonderful, being able to read on a larger screen will be just fantastic.

Check it out and, as said in another post, if I've violated forum guidelines by posting the video, please forgive me Logos. It's just so exciting being able to utilize another tool to study God's most precious Holy word because after all, that's truly what it is about for us.

Blessings,

Christina

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-video/

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:16 PM

Oh goody a giant iphone! same price as a (good) laptop. I think this apple will remain the forbidden fruit for me.

John

Posts 97
Tom Gindrup | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:50 PM

Any word from Logos about updating L4 to use the entire screen of the iPad?

Posts 1058
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:23 PM

john joyce:

Oh goody a giant iphone! same price as a (good) laptop. I think this apple will remain the forbidden fruit for me.

I certainly won't be buying one either.

Posts 567
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:03 PM

Bigger, sharper, easier to read than the Kindle and in color, also full web access and email, AND it can read logos books!! seems like a good deal to me, especially compared to the Kindle DX.

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:35 PM

I'd love to see how Logos looks on it! I have an iPhone but for me the screen is a little small for extended reading. I can't wait to see what Logos does with it.

Posts 40
Gabriel Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 4:15 PM

Same price as a good laptop? I suppose its all in how you define "good" (and what you use it fore). It's just $10 more than a Kindle DX and has so much more functionality, not the least of which includes reading Logos books.

I would really like to see what the Logos app looks like on it, and I would probably buy the iPad for the primary purpose of being my Logos reader.

Laptop: Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600

Home: Vista Ultimate x86,  AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Work: Windows 7 x64, Intel Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1300/X1550

Posts 2963
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 4:31 PM

My primary purpose in getting one (when I finish school in 2 years) would be as a Logos reader.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1509
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:39 PM

This was good news for me today. I can see myself in the not-so-distant future buying an iPad. However, one of the big reasons would be to run L4. SO...........

To all the good people down at Logos...if your reading this...PLEASE update and improve the Logos iPhone app (or create a separate one) for use on the iPad and allow us to download our entire library on to the iPad. This way I don't need an internet connection to study. I'd like to be able to read any book in my library on the iPad like I would on a Kindle device.

Posts 44
A.A. van der Leij | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 12:21 AM

I'me very excited about this. I love Logos, but when I need to read, I prefer to sit in my comfy chair, instead of on my deskchair, behind my pc. I've been waiting a long time for this device. And on top of it, I get so much extra's. This is really a blessing for me. But now I need to figure out if I can simply buy one in America, and will I be able to use it in Europe. I mean, different powerplugs/voltage, does this give me problems. And what is this 3G, is it usefull for me to wait for this, or don't I need it. If anyone can give me any advice about this, I'm very greatful.

Mat 6:33

Posts 3861
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:05 AM

A.A. van der Leij:

I'me very excited about this. I love Logos, but when I need to read, I prefer to sit in my comfy chair, instead of on my deskchair, behind my pc. I've been waiting a long time for this device. And on top of it, I get so much extra's. This is really a blessing for me. But now I need to figure out if I can simply buy one in America, and will I be able to use it in Europe. I mean, different powerplugs/voltage, does this give me problems. And what is this 3G, is it usefull for me to wait for this, or don't I need it. If anyone can give me any advice about this, I'm very greatful.

3G refers to specific cell phone technology.  Faster, etc.  You guys in europe probably have 8G  Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:09 AM

JohnKaess:

Bigger, sharper, easier to read than the Kindle and in color, also full web access and email, AND it can read logos books!! seems like a good deal to me, especially compared to the Kindle DX.

By in large, I think the IPad will be a flop. That being said, it is perfect for our niche little group; Logos users. Logos already has solid footing with its Iphone App, so they don't have to start over. People have been asking for a Kindle/Logos marriage. The big thing is going to be how good ebooks/Logos looks on the screen. Will it be as pleasant on the eyes as e-ink? I wouldn't dream of it without first seeing how Logos is going to work on it and how many books Logos is ultimately able to make available on it, but it certainly has my ears perked. I can imagine myself studying on my computer, coming across a book I want to read through, quickly marking it as a Mobile "To Read.", picking up my IPad at night and reading myself to sleep. I think I'll call mine an Lpad....

Posts 570
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:28 AM

i may get one at some point if i get the cash to burn.  otherwise for the price, I can get a couple netbooks with more functionality and software available.  compared to the kindle, though i am not sure.  there really isn't a compare.  the kindle uses electronic paper format for the screen.  it was never intended to have color, it's not good for reading.  they dont' even have a backlight for that reason.  it is two different markets.  both pretty vertical.  I have a tablet PC already that works great with the full version of L4, so having an ipad isn't that tempting for me.  we'll see.  I am guessint the torches and pitchforks will come out from teh Blackberry users if Logos gets an ipad app going before a BB one, though. :)

Posts 8608
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:35 AM

TomGindrup:

Any word from Logos about updating L4 to use the entire screen of the iPad?

Only this (potentially tantalizing...yet equitably vague) tweet from Bob Pritchett

iPhone's size constrained design; harder (not impossible) to build ugly. iPad software could be more like desktop software....
--Twitter / Bob Pritchett

as for me... iyawn.Sleep

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:42 AM

Thomas Black:
iPhone's size constrained design; harder (not impossible) to build ugly. iPad software could be more like desktop software....
--Twitter / Bob Pritchett

Twitter is no excuse for incredibly poor English usage: harder (not impossible) to build ugly... Is Bob proud that they were able to make the application incredibly ugly even given the size constraints?

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:44 AM

Philip Spitzer:
By in large, I think the IPad will be a flop.

Philip Spitzer:
I think I'll call mine an Lpad....

Somebody seems to be of two minds here, what was the verse about a double minded man? Wink

I do not think that the iPad success will rival Apple's run with the iPhone or iPod. With that said, I think there will be a lot of people that will find that it will do enough things for them that make it worth while. I will be getting one, and after talking to my wife last night, we may have to get two Big Smile. The e-reader/email/web browsing combo make it something that will attract a lot of people, not to mention it's possibilities as a gaming console. Personally, I have been resisting getting an kindle, but with the investment that I have in my Logos library, I can see that there is going to be a lot less paper in my future.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:32 AM

Damian McGrath:
Twitter is no excuse for incredibly poor English usage: harder (not impossible) to build ugly... Is Bob proud that they were able to make the application incredibly ugly even given the size constraints?

I thought it must be a problem with my English that I didn't quite understand what it meant.  Now I'm feeling better... Smile

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:11 AM

My Sony PRS 900 has a bigger screen than he iPad, uses eInk pages which are clearer than LCD's, has a hard, cushioned case for travel and reading on the road and has a better virtual keyboard thant iPad.

I stick with the Sony PRS 900 but would like to see a Logos 4 Ap for it.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:29 AM

Sir Maru:
and has a better virtual keyboard thant iPad

Just curious how you are comparing the two, since all you have seen of the iPad is a video?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:57 AM

john joyce:
Oh goody a giant iphone! same price as a (good) laptop.

One overlooks the advantages this has over the iPhone, and I'd love to know how to get a *good* laptop for $500, or even $900.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS