Support for Kindle DX - or any other ereaders

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:40 PM

Well my Kindle DX was delivered today and I am very please!  I have done a copy and paste of Wiersbe's "Elements of preaching" and used the mobi file converter and I am reading with pleasure! 

I am very pleased with the eink technology.  It is obvious that Amazon's goal was reading and not bells and wistles. 

I can read on my HP22207 monitor for about an hour tops.  But with this Kindle I can see myself reading for hours and hours which is what I wanted it for!

Now if I could move books from logos to Kindle easier....but alas, reading good books is worth the effort and time!

I also like the wiki and dictionary anywhere and anytime....for free.

Yes my flesh wants bells and wistles, games and colors, but my spirit wants to read.....read....and read some more!

For those of you who want bells, whistles, games, and colors....remember "leaders are readers, and readers are leaders!"

Thanks for the discussion and if anyone knows of an easier way to move books to the Kindle DX please say on!

Excuse me for now....I am reading....  ;-]

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 5:16 PM

DavidCuff:
For those of you who want bells, whistles, games, and colors....remember "leaders are readers, and readers are leaders!"

I sat here and read, this and then I re-read it, and then I tried to talk myself out of responding. Obviously I failed. I am offended by the condescending attitude that says if I choose a different methodology than you do, I am less of a "leader" or a "reader". This is pride on your part. If you like the kindle, by all means use it, but please stop denigrating those of us who chose a different piece of technology to consume the written word.

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 5:26 PM

Hey Terry,

Did not mean to offend you...please forgive me...

Just excited to start reading all fo the content I have spend so much money to own.  Left paper books behind for some time now...

Have fun with your IPad if you choose it.....again pls forgive me if you have been offended....

Peace....

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 5:33 PM

DavidCuff:
Did not mean to offend you...please forgive me

Done.

Enjoy, your kindle. I have to wait 2 months to get my technology fix Wink

Posts 2915
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:19 PM

DavidCuff:

Thank you for this reminder. I do most of my reading on the computer and find that my flesh often finds the bells and whistles of Logos and my computer distracting. There isn't an inherent problem with them, but my flesh certainly is ready, willing, and able to take advantage of it. There is something sweet about the simplicity of the Kindle (that's why I like it sometimes). Even something sweet and simpler about paper; a nice break at times. But even then my flesh finds things to distract me with.

But your reminder is important and one that I need to hear and remember. Thank you for being used to remind me to be on guard against the temptations that come with technology. Praise God that we have the Spirit, so that we are no longer slaves to sin, and this potential temptation can be used in amazing ways to help us know God through His Word

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:17 AM

DavidCuff:

Thanks for the reply Kevin...

Hey BTW what process do you use to put your books into your Kindle?  I just got the DX and looking for the cleanest/fastest way.  Any thoughts?

I'm not going to tell you how to do that as it may be a violation of the the license. I haven't heard definitively that Logos is OK with that. But let's say you had a large file in any format that you could copy from - say a book you wrote in MS word or some other format. And you can copy it and past it into a Word file. Do so for the large book that you wrote and then send it to your kindle via the email address that Amazon has set up. You have two addresses when you buy a kindle. One sends it directly and costs a small amount. Mine have cost anywhere from ten cents to fifty or so. I am guessing because I cannot remember. I have done this with sermons and preached from it as well as other content.  The other email address sends it back to your registered email address as an attachment in Kindle format and you load it by connecting the Kindle via USB and then just load it as if it was an external flash drive.  No problem; works well.  I have put a number of things on my Kindle this way. Also, look at mobileread.com for more info on using the Kindle and getting more content.

Posts 4
Steven Thibault | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 3:42 PM

Hi David,

I agree totally with you about the Kindle Dx screen being very easy on the eyes. The Kindle Dx does not do much other than make reading easy on the eyes and that's it main purpose. Other devices offer many additional amenities/ bells and whistles but they also have to give up the (easy on the eyes simplicity) that comes from the most basic gray scale (paper book) like( non back lite) screens of the Kindle DX. Ipad does Oh-So-Much more but along with great technology comes that compromise of strain on the eyes. I just want to read-read-read my bible and Logos books with my Kindle DX. For those who haven't used the Kindle DX reading  books or those who  still have young  fighter pilot eyes, it's the (back lighting) that stains the eyes after about an hour. So, if anyone knows of an easier way to move books to the Kindle DX please chime in for us( Less is more) Kindle DX guys.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS