A thought on sets being made available as single volumes...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Jeremy Van Sant | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:25 AM

Hi All!

I recently began a new study on the book of Philippians. I called Logos three weeks ago looking for some further information on a few resources. On that call, I asked about the Reformed Expository Commentary and wondered whether it could be made available as a single volume purchase. I was told no, which was fine. I subsequently purchased a copy of that set's commentary on Philippians in paper form. Yesterday, I happened to be browsing through some of Logos' resources and saw that now the Reformed Expository Commentary was being sold as individual volumes. So, somewhere between three weeks ago and yesterday, these volumes were made individually available. I am obviously disappointed because I would rather have had this volume in my Logos library. 

But I am left with a question. Does Logos really have no idea when they will be planning to make such a change like that? Am I to believe that they weren't in the process of working out those details three weeks ago? It would have been beneficial to me for the sales rep to tell me to wait because this was all in the works. Maybe I don't understand all of the inner workings, but it would seem that better communication could be had between departments especially when you consider the small window that this all happened in.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And can Logos do a better job with situations like the one I described. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:31 AM

I can feel your frustration about this. Personally I try to avoid purchasing paper copies of resources it at all possible. My guess is that the sales person who answered the phone was unaware of this. As you said, it would be great if they knew this sort of information. Is there any possibility of you returning your paper copy?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4700
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:59 AM

As Bruce said it is likely the sales person knew nothing about it. I am not sure about how the process between FL and the publisher works, but it is possible that at the time of your call FL did not know. My understanding is that it is up to the publisher whether or not FL can break a set up.

As a side note, if it were me I would go ahead and spend the extra twenty bucks on the logos version.Wink

Posts 10429
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:03 PM

Well, Jeremy, you'e asking for comments, so, I'll do so.

Better job? Doubt it.  Each year, I'm in the the top flight of Logos-criticizers, but here I'll have to side with the Logos CEO. He has repeatedly noted that at any given time, they're working on 100s of resources, across many peoples desks. He notes the solution of a status report would be both crpippling and likely inaccurate.  Having managed in a much larger company, I'd agree.

I don't think there is a good solution. I'd say I have maybe a thousand dollars of paper purchased not much earlier than the Logos digital announcements.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS