From Logos 4 to Kindle DX

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2010 4:54 PM

Anyone out there got a clean fast way to get your logos 4 books to a Kindle DX. 

Looking for any insight as mine is coming Thursday by UPS.

I just want to read my 1000+ library without going blind b4 I turn 50!

Thanks.....

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 5:59 PM

There is not a fast way to get your Logos books to a Kindle DX.

There might not even be a legal way to get your books there at all, Kindle is not the way to go if you want  to read your Logos books.

Alain

Posts 550
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:04 PM

The new iPad costs $10 more than the kindle DX, it has color, is clearer and sharper than the Kindle for reading, has full internet access, email, can use any iPhone app, CAN legally read your Logos books (Kindle probably can't, and certainly not simply) and can play games.  You have 30 days, send that Kindle back.

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:18 PM

Not really....the IPad has a monthly fee and has a standard VGA type screen...

Do you guys work for Apple?  ;-]

Posts 550
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:43 PM

1.  I do not work for apple, in fact, I don't even like apple, but the iPad seems made for logos.  I've been using Logos since the 90's and own the Platinum version.

2.  There is NO fee to use the wi-fi version of the iPad.  The monthly fee only applies to the 3g version which is completely unnecessary for reading books and almost all other uses of the iPad as long as you access to wi-fi

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:49 PM

DavidCuff:

Anyone out there got a clean fast way to get your logos 4 books to a Kindle DX. 

There's an experimental web browser, it should work with library.logos.com, though I cannot confirm it since there's no international wireless access for the my Kindle DX, and when I was in the States last year there was no library.logos.com.  Wink

Posts 2916
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:54 PM

My kindle (normal one) doesn't load library.logos.com well. That is an option, but not an efficient one.

My use of my kindle with Logos basically involves copying and pasting a selection into a word doc and emailing it to my kindle. Not sure of the legalities of this, but it makes it easy to read large chunks of text without printing it or taking my computer.

That's probably what I would recommend. Hopefully library.logos.com becomes more friendly with Kindle

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:04 PM

Hey Thanks Jacob,

This is helpful...I never knew there was a web based connection to my library....My Laptop will not run logos 4 so still has 3x.

Also I assumed the copy/paste option....I was hoping a screen macro or something would help....

Also what way do you convert them to your Kindle?   straight copy of PDF file or do you use a conversion program?

Thanks for the post!  and for not telling me I should have gotten an IPad!

Posts 2916
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:17 PM

David- 

If you want to make a book directly that compatible with your kindle the best way is to use mobipocket creator (mobipocket.com). The outputted file the native format for the kindle. Mobipocket creator works best with an html file, second best with a Word file (which it just converts to an html file), and it will do it's best with a pdf. 

So I would say your best 2 options would be to send a pdf over (since you have pdf reading capabilities in the DX) or to convert your file in mobipocket creator.

I use Mobipocket when I copy and paste large contents of text. This lets me create a navigable table of contents which is pretty nice when trying to jump to a particular place.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:18 PM

Jacob Hantla:

My kindle (normal one) doesn't load library.logos.com well. That is an option, but not an efficient one.

That doesn't surprise me very much since the Whispernet has been slow for browsing when I was in the States last year.  Sad

Jacob Hantla:

My use of my kindle with Logos basically involves copying and pasting a selection into a word doc and emailing it to my kindle. Not sure of the legalities of this, but it makes it easy to read large chunks of text without printing it or taking my computer.

Does the Kindle support searching with Word documents? 

I've scanned a number of my own books to read in my Kindle and on my computer; I'm not sure about the legality of this either (is this considered "format shifting"?). But anyway, it is a pain in the neck reading them on the Kindle - the processor is very slow for rendering the PDF's, and it doesn't have PDF TOC or bookmark support (though it supports custom bookmarks it doesn't allow you to edit them and give them meaningful names), doesn't support searching on PDF documents which makes navigation way too slow and inconvenient. 

Now I think if Amazon doesn't do something to improve the PDF support of the Kindle it will get into trouble soon (like, March 1 Wink).

Posts 2916
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:19 PM

JohnKaess:

1.  I do not work for apple, in fact, I don't even like apple, but the iPad seems made for logos.  I've been using Logos since the 90's and own the Platinum version.

2.  There is NO fee to use the wi-fi version of the iPad.  The monthly fee only applies to the 3g version which is completely unnecessary for reading books and almost all other uses of the iPad as long as you access to wi-fi

I agree with you on both points. The iPad may be the perfect mobile Logos platform. We'll see...I'm excited about the possibilities

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:11 AM

Amy Leung:

Jacob Hantla:

That doesn't surprise me very much since the Whispernet has been slow for browsing when I was in the States last year. 

It is not a problem with the network on the kindle but the way logos has set up the site. I asked about this and they do not have current plans to fix it either. Many of us begged but did not get a response or at least have not since the last time I looked in that forum.

I watched the iPad announcement via the Twit.tv network and my thought was Logos! and the other iPhone apps that I have including the Kindle app. I may actually sell my Kindle or give it to my wife.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:28 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

It is not a problem with the network on the kindle but the way logos has set up the site. I asked about this and they do not have current plans to fix it either. Many of us begged but did not get a response or at least have not since the last time I looked in that forum.

When I was in the States in the end of June the Whispernet was painfully slow for web browsing (web pages loaded slowly) though books downloaded in a snap, so my thought was that this must be deliberate, on one hand to reserve bandwidth for books downloads and on the other to make sure that the network does not get bogged down by free net surfing by the Kindle users.  Well I may well be mistaken, plus it's been quite some time since then so maybe things have changed for the good.  Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:07 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I may actually sell my Kindle or give it to my wife.

How about SELL it to your wife? Smile 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:34 AM

Alain Maashe:
There is not a fast way to get your Logos books to a Kindle DX. There might not even be a legal way to get your books there at all, Kindle is not the way to go if you want  to read your Logos books.  Alain 

Both are good points. The legal issue falls by the wayside because the practical issue is overwhelming. I you really want to read your LOGOS library don't bother with the cut & paste/email process. If you think that wouldn't be a headache ask everybody how badly they want a print option in Logos 4.

I don't philosophically agree with banning file format conversions for strictly personal use (8-track to cassette to cd, OR txt to PDF to PBB) But my philosophy isn't germane to the question of legality. Most software EULAs prohibit disassembly, reverse engineering or conversion of the files.

DAVE, If you were just planning to read your Logos library on the Kindle, get the refund and buy the iPad.  (I don't like Apple computers either - just being practical.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:33 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Kevin A. Purcell:
I may actually sell my Kindle or give it to my wife.

How about SELL it to your wife? Smile 

She didn't like that too much.

Posts 10524
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:39 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I watched the iPad announcement via the Twit.tv network and my thought was Logos! and the other iPhone apps that I have including the Kindle app. I may actually sell my Kindle or give it to my wife.

Careful, Kevin, you may be tempted to become a full Mac user. Geeked

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:45 AM

Jack Caviness:
Careful, Kevin, you may be tempted to become a full Mac user.

Might? It has happened. I am tempted to get a Mac, but not to become a full Mac user if that means always using a Mac. I am a Windows guy. I like Windows. I don't settle for it I enjoy it. I think it is the best OS in terms of usability and power. Some say Mac is easier to use. That may be. But it is still a Windows world and that offers me more choices than I get with a Mac.

That said, I do some video and photo editing and I doubt that the majority of people in those  fields are wrong. Most people in those fields use Mac. So I am tempted to get one to do those two things.

Posts 10524
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:06 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
 I am a Windows guy.

We all have our handicaps Big Smile. See you in Henderson.

Posts 19
Tom Traubitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 2:41 PM

Not to derail the conversation, nor start down an iPad vs. Kindle discussion, the a critical value to Logos to me is the automatic coordination of resources (e.g. bibles with commentary and each other.)  I do have a Kindle DX (which I love and use considerable for when just reading books "linearly", that is from start to finish) but I wouldn't see it as a great platform for Logos for a couple reasons.   First, it doesn't have the processor power to quickly correlate resources and second the screen doesn't make for convenient examination of multiple resources simultaneously.  I don't know of any e-Ink based reader that is there yet.  I would, however love to see Logos offer away of exporting a book via USB (e.g. save the book in Kindle's native format) so that I could read it linearly on my personal reader.

The alteranitves for portability today then come down to some compromises.   For linear reading of books, and minimal searching, then the iPad (and to a much lesser degree the iPhone) should work well, though the 10 hour battery life (my Kindle gets about 2 weeks with wireless off and 4 days between charges with 3G wireless on.)

For my comprehensive Logos use, my preference is for a traditional laptop or perhaps some of the newer, lighter laptops such as the Fujitsu lifebook http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4410.   Weighing in an 4lbs and they can deliver in the range of 9-10 hours of online service, use a gestural interface, and can run the full Logos application as well as several of my other critical applications (Microsoft Office, for example.)

For now, I don't see my laptop and my eReader converging, but I think that give Apple another 12 months (and maybe some more magic from Logos programming team) they'll convince me.  ;)

-T

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS