Anyone using Logos on a small inexpensive 8 inch Windows Tablet?

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 13 2015 2:01 PM

JoshInRI:
but I think if I wait something better and more powerful that runs Logos well may be on the horizon.
You are undoubtedly right about this. ... BUT ... I seriously doubt it will be an inexpensive, budget Windows device. Power costs money. Squeezing power into a small package costs even more money.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 1:26 AM

Paul C:

I have a Lenovo x220 tablet (convertible) It has i7, 8 GB ram, 128 GB SSD, and so on. (Very snappy indeed)  But I leave it at home and take the Dell to Bible study. The portability is worth more than any performance boost provided by the bulkier Lenovo. I don't want to do in depth, extensive study/research on an 8 inch tablet. However, in the right environment, I see it as the cat's meow. Big Smile

I have a Lenovo X60 Tablet with Win 8.1 Pro, 3GB RAM and a 320 GBHDD. Logos does make it run pretty hot and the fan is doing hard labour Otherwise responsiveness is pretty good.  Our bible study is around a table so the X60's size doesn't bother me. What is annoying is I can't write directly into my study notes as Logos won't accept text from the handwriting input panel. It well accept text elsewhere though. AFAIK I'm the only one who has posted about this. Can this problem be replicated on your Dell?

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 5:42 AM

Genghis:
Can this problem be replicated on your Dell?
Yes. I think it is a problem no matter what machine you use. I have given up trying to use Logos note function. I now use OneNote. I choose to keep it open and switch between it and Logos. An extra step, But still a much more usable and less frustrating way to take notes.

Posts 9
Wade Wickman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 9:00 PM

I use OneNote as well for all my note taking. Check out the Logos "Copy location as URL" (keyboard shortcut Ctl+Alt+c) feature to paste a link into OneNote for the resource you have open. When you click the link, Logos will start if it's not already open and navigate you to the exact resource location. Very slick time saver for me.

Posts 2817
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 24 2015 7:13 AM

Wade Wickman:

I use OneNote as well for all my note taking. Check out the Logos "Copy location as URL" (keyboard shortcut Ctl+Alt+c) feature to paste a link into OneNote for the resource you have open. When you click the link, Logos will start if it's not already open and navigate you to the exact resource location. Very slick time saver for me.

Thanks Wade.  That is helpful.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 24 2015 7:39 AM

Paul C:

I use a Dell venue 8 pro. It performs flawlessly. The 64G version can be found for under $200. I consider that cheap. How 'bout you?

Can you please provide a link to this? If I could get a windows tablet that runs the full Logos software flawlessly for under $200 I'd seriously consider it! Thanks in advance!

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 24 2015 7:55 AM

I have Logos 6 running on a Surface Pro (the original). I have a huge library so I purchased a 128G flash drive (thumb drive) and it works great. It is a little slow but not too bad.

I picked the surface pro up on ebay for about 200 and added a few other things. All in all was about 300 total. So it is possible.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 24 2015 4:01 PM

Tim Taylor:
Can you please provide a link to this?

As stated, I got mine on the Dell Outlet site (refurb) They are $219 right now but they occasionally offer them for under $200. That includes a year warranty. 

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&puid=b23483f5 

eBay has many offerings from used through new. Here is one example. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181809929075?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Again...It is imperative to get the 64 GB version. 32 simply won't do.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 11:10 AM

Thanks, Paul. That's really helpful. One last thing... can you please post a screenshot of Logos 6 running on your Dell Venue 8 Pro? I'd like to see what it looks like and how that small of a screen handles it. Also, have you tried plugging it into an external monitor at all? I have a USB adapter for an external monitor I could try it with.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 11:26 AM

I have not tried to connect a monitor to it, but another forum user said he had great results. Be aware that you can not charge the tablet while using the usb port for anything else.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 7:06 AM

Paul C:

I have not tried to connect a monitor to it, but another forum user said he had great results. Be aware that you can not charge the tablet while using the usb port for anything else.

Thanks, that really helps! I'm pretty stoked, I grabbed one off eBay for $107 late last night! I hope it works well! :) Thanks for your positive reviews.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 7:11 AM

Paul C:

Be aware that you can not charge the tablet while using the usb port for anything else.

Paul, have you seen this? Would this work with the Dell Venue 8 Pro, do you know? Perhaps this could let you use the USB while charging?

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=470-abes

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:08 AM

I had not seen the dongle. The description seems to indicate that it would solve the issue. I, personally,  don't have a need to use it as a desktop. But it's cool to know the option exists. I bought it for a specific purpose. .....A pocket rocket. It excels at that. 

One last thing. ... You may (most certainly will)  experience issues with highlighting and mouseovers. ... Touchscreen issues that FL has not seen fit to address. You can solve this in one of 2 ways. Use a bluetooth mouse, or download touchmousepointer. (free) It allows you to use the whole screen as a touchpad.

Enjoy

EDIT: ( The last, last thing) Windows 10 works flawlessly on the Venue. In fact it improves the touch experience. I strongly encourage you to get the upgrade when it becomes available.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:36 AM

Ok, thanks again for the input, Paul. I will definitely keep that in mind. Do you have a stylus with yours? Do you recommend it? Does/would that help with the highlighting and mouseover issues?

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:50 AM

I chose not to spend $30 on the stylus. I really don't see it solving the issues I cited. I still have faith that FL will address those issues as the touch crowd (market) increases.  If you want to play with handwritten notes, get a generic (99 cent) stylus off eBay. They work ok with the handwriting input panel. 

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 1 2015 5:32 AM

So I got my Dell Venue 8 Pro, loaded windows 10 on it, and Logos 6 on it, and wow! I love it! The experience is AMAZING! I wanted to let you know that I also went ahead and bought a Dell stylus off of eBay for $10 and I'm really glad I did! It seems to solve the highlighting issues. Smile Thanks so much for the recommendation, btw. I'm very pleased so far!

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 1 2015 5:54 AM

Great! I'm very happy you are pleased.

It certainly is one of my favorite toys.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 1 2015 8:00 AM

Are they planning an update to this device soon?  Would dislike buying what looks like a deal only to discover a newer model soon after with better functionality and a low price.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 1 2015 8:42 AM

JoshInRI:

Are they planning an update to this device soon?  Would dislike buying what looks like a deal only to discover a newer model soon after with better functionality and a low price.

Now, Josh;

That is a rhetorical question. You have a surface pro, which was replaced by a surface pro 2...then 3...and soon to be 4. That is just a sign of the times. If you wait for a machine that is future proof, You will be a very old man.

Tim bought his venue for $107. If/ when they upgrade the venue, It will undoubtedly cost 4 or 5 times that much. .....  Similar to the evolution of the surface.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2015 7:24 PM

Paul C:

I chose not to spend $30 on the stylus. I really don't see it solving the issues I cited. I still have faith that FL will address those issues as the touch crowd (market) increases.  If you want to play with handwritten notes, get a generic (99 cent) stylus off eBay. They work ok with the handwriting input panel. 

Paul (and others), after having my tablet for a while now and pretty much exclusively using it for Logos, I finally found a decent way to highlight without a stylus, mouse, or external keyboard using Windows 10:

1. Set keyboard shortcuts for your favorite highlights (if you haven't already)
  2. Switch to reading mode. This switches to a full screen, paging interface instead of the usual scrolling interface, and using your finger now will select text instead of scroll)
  3. With your finger, select the text you want to highlight.
  4. Swipe in from the left edge of the screen to pull up the app switcher. This is so you can now have access to the keyboard icon in the taskbar.
  5. Tap on the keyboard icon to open the on-screen keyboard
  6. Select Logos from the app switcher
  7. Use the keyboard to apply your favorite highlight style(s) with the keyboard shortcuts you have created.

I know it might sound complicated, but once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. Ideal? Admittedly, no. But until Logos implements better touch support on Windows 10, it is a pretty slick workaround. I hope it helps. And really, steps 1 and 2 only have to be done once, then steps 3-7 are all that need to be repeated, and they really are pretty quick and simple.

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS