Anyone using Logos on a small inexpensive 8 inch Windows Tablet?

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 59 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2015 8:03 PM

Tim Taylor:

Paul C:

I chose not to spend $30 on the stylus. I really don't see it solving the issues I cited. I still have faith that FL will address those issues as the touch crowd (market) increases.  If you want to play with handwritten notes, get a generic (99 cent) stylus off eBay. They work ok with the handwriting input panel. 

Paul (and others), after having my tablet for a while now and pretty much exclusively using it for Logos, I finally found a decent way to highlight without a stylus, mouse, or external keyboard using Windows 10:

1. Set keyboard shortcuts for your favorite highlights (if you haven't already)
  2. Switch to reading mode. This switches to a full screen, paging interface instead of the usual scrolling interface, and using your finger now will select text instead of scroll)
  3. With your finger, select the text you want to highlight.
  4. Swipe in from the left edge of the screen to pull up the app switcher. This is so you can now have access to the keyboard icon in the taskbar.
  5. Tap on the keyboard icon to open the on-screen keyboard
  6. Select Logos from the app switcher
  7. Use the keyboard to apply your favorite highlight style(s) with the keyboard shortcuts you have created.

I know it might sound complicated, but once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. Ideal? Admittedly, no. But until Logos implements better touch support on Windows 10, it is a pretty slick workaround. I hope it helps. And really, steps 1 and 2 only have to be done once, then steps 3-7 are all that need to be repeated, and they really are pretty quick and simple.

Thanks for the update, and suggestions. If a full featured right click menu was integrated into the reading view it would solve even more issues. ... Like the ability to search directly using a highlighted phrase ...instead of having to copy and paste and then add quotes. I still have faith they will address the touch issues ....eventually.

May God continue to bless your studies.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 5:27 AM

Paul C:

Thanks for the update, and suggestions. If a full featured right click menu was integrated into the reading view it would solve even more issues. ... Like the ability to search directly using a highlighted phrase ...instead of having to copy and paste and then add quotes. I still have faith they will address the touch issues ....eventually.

May God continue to bless your studies.

Paul, I am able to use the full featured right click menu in reading view. This allows me to search directly using a highlighted phrase, etc. Just select the text, and then tap and hold (long press) on the selected text. Here's a screenshot.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:02 PM

You are correct. Don't know how I missed it. This does make things simpler on the tablet. Wouldn't it be sweet if it worked in any window?

Thanks again Big Smile

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 3:57 PM

Paul C:
Windows 10 works flawlessly on the Venue. In fact it improves the touch experience. I strongly encourage you to get the upgrade when it becomes available.

Paul, (or anyone else...) Based largely on this thread I have just ordered a refurbished 8 Pro 64G for a silly price and it should be with me in as few days. Do you know how much space your Win 10 took over your Win 8? Just the increase in total space due to the installation would be a big help. Do you also have any idea how big your Logos folder is for comparison purposes? On my desk top mine is about 31 G. I can see I might have to do a bit of pruning Sad

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 5:33 PM

Hi, John;

I don't recall the specific size of the 10 upgrade. I do have a smaller library than you. (<20 GB) However I still have 19 GB free and the recovery partition is still in place. If I were in your position, Having no files or settings to be concerned with... I believe I would do a clean install of W 10. including reformatting the drive.   This will give you the maximum drive space to work with, and no leftovers from 8.1. If you have any inclination that you would want/need to revert to 8.1 you could back up the recovery partition before proceeding. If you decide to go this route, You can download the ISO file and create an install disk here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Having the disk pre-recorded will drastically reduce the time involved in installing 10. Be sure to get the 32 bit version. I am confident you will enjoy your new toy. Please keep us updated.

Edit I said install disk, but if you don't have an external dvd drive , you can accomplish this with a usb flash drive image, but it may well be a bit slower.

A micro usb to standard usb adapter is invaluable for migrating files to and from the tablet.

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:51 AM

Thanks very much for all the information - especially the link. I will definitely save the recovery partition - very much a believer in  "If something can go wrong it will" . I will also remove/save the MS office. I do have an external DVD drive for use with my old Samsung N120 netbook.

Dell have informed me that delivery will be in the next 14 days but I do not really need it to be working fully until the second week in November when I am due to fly to Peru for three weeks so I can afford to take it steadily and learn to be patient rather than start playing a soon as possible! I was planning to take my (comparatively heavy) netbook but if this works it should do nicely if I can squeeze Skype in as well.

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:54 AM

Just thought, if I am do a clean install I will need the Windows product key. Do you know where to find that on the Dell?

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:43 AM

All refurbished units do not include office. If yours does, there will be a disk and product key in the box. Mine came with Office loaded but not activated. I guess the disk is for back up. If it is not found in the box, I don't think Dell keeps a record of the windows keys.  W 10 includes a somewhat streamlined version of OneNote. If I didn't already have office home and student loaded. I would just make do with that. I rarely use anything but OneNote on the tablet. The drivers provided by W 10 should be sufficient. But Dell has drivers available for download should you have a problem.

Edit: I assumed you meant the key for Office. You do not need a key for the OS. It will be stored in the bios and 10 will not require activation.

A reloaded Office suite will.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:58 AM

JohnB:
I was planning to take my (comparatively heavy) netbook but if this works it should do nicely if I can squeeze Skype in as well.

If You are patient enough to use Logos on a netbook with the early Atom processor, You will be ecstatic with the Venue. It literally runs rings around my netbook. Just as an aside. I managed to force W10 to install on the netbook (which originally came with XP) It handles the new OS just fine. It may be slightly snappier, but again the venue is far superior.

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:59 PM

Paul C:
If You are patient enough to use Logos on a netbook with the early Atom processor, You will be ecstatic with the Venue. It literally runs rings around my netbook. Just as an aside. I managed to force W10 to install on the netbook (which originally came with XP) It handles the new OS just fine. It may be slightly snappier, but again the venue is far superior.

I see that we have been traveling a similar path but me currently trailing you. Big Smile  It was the Win8 not Office that I was thinking of. I created my win 10 DVD today using my notebook to be able to download the 32 bit version. Come on Dell, don't keep me waiting too long!! Thanks again for your encouragement.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 2:56 PM

JohnB:
I see that we have been traveling a similar path
JohnB:
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Glad to share. As you know, The pioneer's road can be a bit rocky. I only ask you share with the next pilgrim.Smile

Posts 418
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:57 AM

I know I'm late to the party here, but I wanted to let people know that it is possible to charge a Dell Venue 8 Pro while using the usb port for something else. You need a couple of inexpensive cables.  Check this out: http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=478

Posts 1735
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 10:25 AM

Thanks Mark...late to the party that still gets visitors and appreciates your input is A - ok!

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 2:12 AM

Since updating to Win 10 has been mentioned on the thread the following info on free upgrade to Win 10 might be of interest if you are wanting to do a clean installation of Win 10.. .....

"First, you must — at least temporarily — upgrade your current Win7/8 system to Win10, the standard way. During this initial upgrade, Microsoft's activation servers create and store a unique and permanent machine ID that's based on your old Windows key plus the system's hardware.

During the upgrade, Microsoft will also automatically issue you a new, generic Win10 product key. But it works only after your PC has been successfully upgraded to Win10 and activated. (This is how Microsoft intends to prevent piracy of the free Win10 upgrade.)

After your system has successfully completed an initial upgrade to Win10 and it has been registered with Microsoft's activation servers, you then can wipe out the Win10 upgrade setup and perform a thorough, from-scratch, clean install.

(But When the upgrade's done, check that Win10 is activated. Open the Win10 Start menu and select Settings/Update & security/Activation. If the window displays Windows is activated, you're good to go — your system is ready for a clean installation.For safety's sake, make note of your Win10 product key. It's easy to find using free tools such as NirSoft's Produkey (site) or the hideously named Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. (site).)

At the end of that process, your PC will again check in with Microsoft. But because your system was previously whitelisted on the MS activation servers, your new clean-install setup will pass muster — recognized as 100 percent legitimate."

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:38 AM

Thanks, John, for taking time to clarify this. I wasn't aware of the extra steps. Do you intend to do it anyway ... or just accept the upgrade?

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 10:27 AM

I plan to back up the recovery partition onto a self booting usb drive

then back up the system on a self booting usb drive,

delete the recovery partition and install win 10 into the existing win 8.

When  have got this working properly I will chose the Reset this PC option in win 10 (Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started) which will get nearly the same result as a clean install.

I could have deleted the installation and do a full clean install instead of the Reset this PC option but I don't think the extra stage is worth it to me. The missing bits that I had not already gleaned fro the internet are at  http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-clean-install-a-windows-10-upgrade/      . I like what I see of the Venue 8 Pro so far but I will get it sorted properly with Win 10 before I try installing Logos.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 3:49 PM

I think you are being very logical. As you say, deleting the recovery partition will give you almost the same as a clean install.  Sorry if my suggestion caused you any inconvenience.

Posts 1059
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:11 AM

None at all!! Without your suggestions and getting me to think I would not be holding a lovely piece of kit! I am dying to see Logos on it but I need to have patience! This will need to see me through several  weeks in Peru with no access to a desk top to sort any problems out. Now to decide if I buy a screen protector that may effect touch performance .....  

Posts 244
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 3:24 AM

JohnB:

Since updating to Win 10 has been mentioned on the thread the following info on free upgrade to Win 10 might be of interest if you are wanting to do a clean installation of Win 10.. .....

"First, you must — at least temporarily — upgrade your current Win7/8 system to Win10, the standard way. During this initial upgrade, Microsoft's activation servers create and store a unique and permanent machine ID that's based on your old Windows key plus the system's hardware.

During the upgrade, Microsoft will also automatically issue you a new, generic Win10 product key. But it works only after your PC has been successfully upgraded to Win10 and activated. (This is how Microsoft intends to prevent piracy of the free Win10 upgrade.)

After your system has successfully completed an initial upgrade to Win10 and it has been registered with Microsoft's activation servers, you then can wipe out the Win10 upgrade setup and perform a thorough, from-scratch, clean install.

(But When the upgrade's done, check that Win10 is activated. Open the Win10 Start menu and select Settings/Update & security/Activation. If the window displays Windows is activated, you're good to go — your system is ready for a clean installation.For safety's sake, make note of your Win10 product key. It's easy to find using free tools such as NirSoft's Produkey (site) or the hideously named Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. (site).)

At the end of that process, your PC will again check in with Microsoft. But because your system was previously whitelisted on the MS activation servers, your new clean-install setup will pass muster — recognized as 100 percent legitimate."

Thank you JohnB for sharing this very useful information.

Though I Have upgraded my Asus Vivotab Smart Me400 to Windows 10 without any problem and everything is working well, the information may become handy another time.

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS