TDOT NOW ON PRE-PUB!!

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 9:51 AM

John Duffy:
I suspect, however, that it might not appear in any bundle or base package for a few years, after lots of individual sales.

I believe your suspicions to be what will happen. While TDNT was pre-pubed and produced ages ago, and does appear in base packages, the trend now seems to be for these higher end resources to be individual purchase only. If you feel you would use it, probably the price now is the best we'll see for some time. If it's not something you really care all that much about, wait. The price will go up after pre-pub, but you might score a deal in a few years. I've decided to jump in with the hope is won't be out until next year.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 482
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 12:48 PM

Kevin A Lewis:

Is there any news on the final two volumes of the series

Shalom

I'm assuming you are referring to Vol 16 and 17??  Hopefully they will be included in the set when published..  Taken from the google preview inside.

http://www.eerdmans.com/Products/2339/theological-dictionary-of-the-old-testament-volume-xv.aspx

Posts 706
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2015 1:51 AM

thanks for that - basically no one knows!

Shalom

Posts 3733
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:59 AM

Mark Smith:
you might score a deal in a few years

I'm afraid that this kind of thing is bound to happen from time to time and not completely predictable. One has to make purchase decisions based on what is available currently, one's needs, timing imperatives and weighing the pros and cons of each scenarios. If someone could wait a few years to get the TDOT although it would be nice and useful to have it earlier, one has to weigh this:

1. What if I get it now and it is available as part of a base package later or at a better price later? The answer, it seems to me, is that a new base package that includes the TDOT would not be free to upgrade to. If it is included in a base package, it could be one that is out of your reach (say you can only afford gold, but TDOT only comes in Diamond). The TDOT may come out as a Christmas deal in a few years and let's say you saved $100 as compared to the current price (it will never go out for peanuts), is it worth paying the extra for all the time you will be able to use it until this (hypothetical) deal comes along?
  2. What if I don't get it now and it never again comes available at such a good price? You can compare the pre-pub price with the estimated live price and decide whether you'd be prepared to pay the full price instead in order to have it. The question is also how long you think you would be willing to wait until you decide that there is no point in continuing to wait, and whether you want and can do without it for that long.

Personally, considering that (a) I wished I had been able to use it in Logos for several years already and (b) I know it will be an important resource for me to use when I have it, # 2 is the worse scenario of the two. Your situation may be different from mine though.

Posts 496
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2015 8:07 AM

Francis:
Personally, considering that (a) I wished I had been able to use it in Logos for several years already and (b) I know it will be an important resource for me to use when I have it, # 2 is the worse scenario of the two. Your situation may be different from mine though.

Hi Francis, I agree completely with you.  However, the other thing which needs to be taken into account, for some more than for others, is affordability.  If we can't afford it now, then #2 is the only practical option from a cashflow perspective, even if the least preferable option from a study or long-term value perspective.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 3:35 PM

Looks like it is coming quite a bit sooner than many anticipated.  I am likely going to have to cancel my pre-pub and hopefully pick it up down the road at some point.

Posts 2381
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 3:42 PM

I'd like to get it, and I'm sure it's a great price, but I just can't do this a month before Christmas.

Posts 1578
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 4:23 PM

Ron:

I am likely going to have to cancel my pre-pub and hopefully pick it up down the road at some point.

Me too, if I want to stay married... Wink 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 4:23 PM

Ronald Quick:

I'd like to get it, and I'm sure it's a great price, but I just can't do this a month before Christmas.

I wish I could get it too, but I did a couple of upgrades and Black Friday and Xmas are just around the corner. Hopefully the set will be included in a future base package :)

DAL

Posts 3214
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 5:11 PM

Looks like another pass by offer- glad I have it in dead tree.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 9:07 PM

Ron:
Looks like it is coming quite a bit sooner than many anticipated

A prime example of when an expensive resource like this pops up and catches us all by surprise. How could this possibly have beaten the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew which has been in production long before this one and is many volumes shorter?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1081
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 1:13 AM

It may be just the pre-pubs that I am watching ... but it seems that after a few months of inactivity ... three or four major releases in the space of just two weeks ... If I ignore them then I will probably never buy them ... the prices rarely get better than this ... If I had known in advance (as Bob once said they would do with Pre-pub) ... then I could have done something about it ... net result: probably lost sales for not having advanced warning.

$330 https://www.logos.com/product/53336/bible-speaks-today-old-testament-commentary-series

$320 https://www.logos.com/product/53670/new-studies-in-biblical-theology

$399 https://www.logos.com/product/49541/theological-dictionary-of-the-old-testament

$300 https://www.logos.com/product/49819/mobile-ed-learn-to-use-biblical-greek-and-hebrew-with-logos-6

$1400 between 20 Nov and 4 December ... and do not mention any spending that involves Black Friday or the 12 days of Christmas !!!

Just asking for some warning!

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 5:39 AM

Martin Folley:

It may be just the pre-pubs that I am watching ... but it seems that after a few months of inactivity ... three or four major releases in the space of just two weeks ... If I ignore them then I will probably never buy them ... the prices rarely get better than this ... If I had known in advance (as Bob once said they would do with Pre-pub) ... then I could have done something about it ... net result: probably lost sales for not having advanced warning.

$330 https://www.logos.com/product/53336/bible-speaks-today-old-testament-commentary-series

$320 https://www.logos.com/product/53670/new-studies-in-biblical-theology

$399 https://www.logos.com/product/49541/theological-dictionary-of-the-old-testament

$300 https://www.logos.com/product/49819/mobile-ed-learn-to-use-biblical-greek-and-hebrew-with-logos-6

$1400 between 20 Nov and 4 December ... and do not mention any spending that involves Black Friday or the 12 days of Christmas !!!

Just asking for some warning!

I ordered the top three that Martin lists and wish I had time to prepare to get them all. A warning certainly would have been nice but coming up with an additional $1000 for the month of December wouldn't have been likely anyway considering I still have 2 children in college. I will be able to get one of them and will probably keep New Studies in Biblical Theology but it certainly would be nice to add the TDOT. Hope my wife doesn't see this postZip it!

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:11 AM

If one already owns the New Testament Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (VanGemeren), what value added is there to also acquiring TDOT? Can someone do a brief comparison of the two in terms of their content, scope, etc? Thx!

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:23 AM

John Duffy:

I wonder, would it be better to jump in on this now at presumably its lowest price in Pre-Pub, or wait until it appears at better value as part of a bundle or base package later on which might be better value overall in the long run?  I suspect, however, that it might not appear in any bundle or base package for a few years, after lots of individual sales.

It's already part of one bundle. 

For the same price ($399.99), you can also get the TDNT included.

https://www.logos.com/product/55168/eerdmans-theological-dictionary-bundle 

Posts 151
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:30 AM

David Salazar:

John Duffy:

I wonder, would it be better to jump in on this now at presumably its lowest price in Pre-Pub, or wait until it appears at better value as part of a bundle or base package later on which might be better value overall in the long run?  I suspect, however, that it might not appear in any bundle or base package for a few years, after lots of individual sales.

Actually, no you can't. The $399 you list is a Dynamic Price, the Pre-Order price is $499.98...

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:32 AM

David Salazar:

John Duffy:

Interesting bundle.  How about dynamic pricing on the bundle since I already own the New Testament set?  At least make it cheaper  than just the Old Testament alone :)

DAL

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 8:58 AM

DAL:
 Interesting bundle.  How about dynamic pricing on the bundle since I already own the New Testament set?  At least make it cheaper  than just the Old Testament alone :)

As Dustin pointed out above, that is the dynamic price. The regular price for the bundle is $499.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 9:58 AM

Martin Folley:

I was hit by the same problem, so emailed my sales guy. He's been extremely helpful in allowing me to get these products without having to drop over $1,000 over a few weeks.

So, I'd suggest you emailing your sales person if you need help. If you don't have a sales guy, I recommend Mark Wheeler

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2015 2:33 PM

JH:

If one already owns the New Testament Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (VanGemeren), what value added is there to also acquiring TDOT? Can someone do a brief comparison of the two in terms of their content, scope, etc? Thx!

I'd like to know this as well if possible.

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS