Apple Watch App

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:59 PM

Any plans to offer some form of Logos app for Apple Watch? I know you can't do too much with the little screen, but I believe YouVersion is doing some type of Apple Watch app with quick verses and devotionals. I guess you could do Verse of the Day, quick devotionals, etc. I'm getting an Apple Watch myself which is why I'm asking. :-)

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 438
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:43 AM

It would be possible to read entire books on it if they integrated some technology like Spirtz. Probably will never happen though. I don't see Apple Watch ever being a very big thing. Not enough of an "install base". As the watch currently stands, you need to have an iPhone in order to get the most useful features. That means $500 for a phone and $500 for a watch. Nope Tongue Tied At this point it's just a $500 luxury item. It fills no necessary gap. 

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 1:01 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

It would be possible to read entire books on it if they integrated some technology like Spirtz. Probably will never happen though. I don't see Apple Watch ever being a very big thing. Not enough of an "install base". As the watch currently stands, you need to have an iPhone in order to get the most useful features. That means $500 for a phone and $500 for a watch. Nope Tongue Tied At this point it's just a $500 luxury item. It fills no necessary gap. 

Interesting technology. The main reason I got the Apple Watch was to improve my health. I spend way too much time behind a desk, and with the Apple Watch telling me when to stand up, as well as better track how much I walk each day, I'm hoping it'll help me better improve my health and not be as sedimentary. It was a bit pricey, but it's cheaper than a doctor bill if I keep neglecting my health. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 438
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:44 PM

Nathan,

I should qualify my claims. While the apple watch may be a luxury item for some it isn't necessarily for others. I used to work for a company that provided me with a top of the line smartphone. The phone was truly an essential item for me due to the nature of the work. There may be many other cases where a phone (or other piece of technology) fills a practical need while, for me, it no longer does. At the same time there are many items that we buy which could be understood as luxury items. I buy coke every week. That's a luxury item. So I hope you (or anyone else) don't think that I'm trying to condemn you or anyone else for having an apple watch. 

My point was not so much that people shouldn't own the watch but, rather, that I don't foresee the watch being a success. But I tend to be wrong about many things....  

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:44 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Nathan,

I should qualify my claims. While the apple watch may be a luxury item for some it isn't necessarily for others. I used to work for a company that provided me with a top of the line smartphone. The phone was truly an essential item for me due to the nature of the work. There may be many other cases where a phone (or other piece of technology) fills a practical need while, for me, it no longer does. At the same time there are many items that we buy which could be understood as luxury items. I buy coke every week. That's a luxury item. So I hope you (or anyone else) don't think that I'm trying to condemn you or anyone else for having an apple watch. 

My point was not so much that people shouldn't own the watch but, rather, that I don't foresee the watch being a success. But I tend to be wrong about many things....  

I do understand what you're saying completely and agree with you. I don't see the Apple Watch being as mainstream as the iPhone or even the iPad. Since the majority of people need a decent cell phone anyway, using a smartphone like an iPhone makes a lot of sense. The iPad has also been excellent in what it does in the enterprise and education fields it's been placed in, and it's also been a great way for people to read Logos books on it without being tied to a computer or on the smaller screen of a phone.

A smart watch like the Apple Watch, on the other hand, isn't as ubiquitously needed and probably won't take off quite as much as the iPhone did. There are some definitely solid uses for it (activity tracking, etc.), but not everyone will want one. I personally was very much on the fence about the Apple Watch when I first saw it. I've always personally loathed wristwatches, and I wasn't even sure if the Apple Watch would do anything that would warrant me getting one. It took a lot of research to convince me to go for it, and I'm glad I did. However, the Apple Watch still probably won't have the full appeal the iPhone did, or at least not for a while.

Nathan Parker

Posts 114
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 1:19 PM

id like a logos app as well! 

so far the only 'christian' apps i have on the watch are you version and the crossway esc app. the you version is kinda limited but the crossway app is actually pretty good i think. you can choose any chapter in the bible to read. it may seem tiny but it actually isn't that bad. i guess with the length of the lines being pretty short you can read pretty fast and turn the digital crown as you read down.

not sure what all logos could fit into a watch app but id like to see them try.

Posts 1
sherryvan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:50 PM

I have a Crossway app on my Apple watch. I can find a specific paragraph or listen to today's reading plan. At other times, I use a smartwatch like you to track my health.

Posts 438
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 5:59 AM

Who keeps drudging up these old posts with wrong opinions of mine?

4 years later and the Apple Watch is now (optionally) much less tethered to your iPhone.

And Apple has implemented health benefits (heart rate monitoring, fall monitoring, ECG) that make it a much more useful device. When the latest watch was announced, the local sellers around me were, literally, packed with old people wanting to buy this thing because they had heard about the fall monitoring and heart monitoring features. 

The path Apple is going down right now with the watch could make these essential health items in four years and completely independent of your phone (no one dig this up in 2023 to see if I was right though). 

Having said that, I still think the use-cases for a Logos app on the watch are pretty limited aside from integrating a Spritz-like reader. You can already listen to the phone app read to you and control the playback through your Apple watch.

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 7:31 AM

J. Remington Bowling:

Who keeps drudging up these old posts with wrong opinions of mine?

Wow, that's funny. I was just going to respond until I read the 1st line of your reply. I actually thought this was a new post. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS