Logos Atlas vs. Accordance

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:04 PM

I am not a big fan of Accordance.  I bought a basic package so that I could purchase their atlas/map system and the Sacred Bridge atlas.  Other than that, at least for my use, Logos is way above and beyond Accordance.  With that said, the atlas situation really bothers me.  Maybe I just haven't used the Logos atlas feature enough, but it doesn't seem to do much.  

For instance, I can't figure out a way to show sites in Sumer, such as Uruk, Eridu, and Ur, without searching one at a time, and then I just get a red dot.  Am I missing something?  

Also, in Accordance, I can right click on a place and select look up in map, and it will take me right to it.  Does Logos offer something like this?  I don't see it in the Look up menu.  

I really want Logos' atlas feature to be great, as I am a visual learner, and I need to see places mentioned in relation to other places.  This is my biggest issue with L6.  Is it just another example of a feature that is not yet finished?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 21364
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:25 PM

Joseph Turner:
Also, in Accordance, I can right click on a place and select look up in map, and it will take me right to it.  Does Logos offer something like this?  I don't see it in the Look up menu.  

In Logos, right-click on the place, ensure that the "place object" is selected in the right-hand menu and then click Atlas in the left

gives

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:30 PM

Ah, that is helpful.  the problem was I was looking for Uruk (biblical Erech), but only one of the two mentions is set as a place.  It also only provides a red dot.  I wish their were more layers to add other place names, like in Accordance's "all ancient" layer.  This does help though.  I will play with it more.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 173
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:30 PM

Joseph Turner:

I am not a big fan of Accordance.  I bought a basic package so that I could purchase their atlas/map system and the Sacred Bridge atlas.  Other than that, at least for my use, Logos is way above and beyond Accordance.  With that said, the atlas situation really bothers me.  Maybe I just haven't used the Logos atlas feature enough, but it doesn't seem to do much.  

For instance, I can't figure out a way to show sites in Sumer, such as Uruk, Eridu, and Ur, without searching one at a time, and then I just get a red dot.  Am I missing something?  

I really want Logos' atlas feature to be great, as I am a visual learner, and I need to see places mentioned in relation to other places.  This is my biggest issue with L6.  Is it just another example of a feature that is not yet finished?

I am getting this message. I keep retrying and the map never comes up.  

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:33 PM

On Windows, when I put in Ur and hit enter it does show me the place with a red dot.

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 2:46 PM

This is what I get in Accordance:

Posts 1611
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 3:44 PM

Joseph Turner:

Did you know that you can also use CTRL + F to find cities on a map? In this particular instance, Haran was not shown as one of the default locations on the map but by using CTRL + F, I was able to find it.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 1984
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 4:07 PM

Wish I had known about that Ctrl+F thing a long time ago.  Prolly did, and forgot.  I rarely used Logos atlases, but that will all change now!  

Thanks!

Posts 2116
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:16 PM

Gao Lu:

Wish I had known about that Ctrl+F thing a long time ago.

Yep, me too. I hadn't bothered much with atlas, but now that I know it's just a click or two away, I will.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 569
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:25 PM

Rick:

In this particular instance, Haran was not shown as one of the default locations on the map but by using CTRL + F, I was able to find it.

I have an issue with this too. There is only a selective set of information showing in the atlas. If Haran is there, why doesn't it show? Or why is there not a way to show more information, maybe by layers? My reaction is similar to others. I find the feature useless because I don't see what I'm looking for. I therefore hardly use it.

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:39 PM

This is my biggest issue as well.  

Posts 1915
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:40 PM

Rick:
Did you know that you can also use CTRL + F to find cities on a map? In this particular instance, Haran was not shown as one of the default locations on the map but by using CTRL + F, I was able to find it.

Even though I would still like to have the place names on the map without having to search, I did not know about CTRL + F.  That is a very useful shortcut!

Posts 2011
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 7:23 PM

Joseph Turner:
With that said, the atlas situation really bothers me.

Ditto. I appreciate Faithlife's effort to put together a nice map feature. Their work on the UI and look of the map is great. But it's usefulness is hampered by a bad design. OakTree's UI and rendering isn't as impressive, but it wins hands-down in usefulness and power. Vector based. Context menu. Layers. Layers. Layers. Let me see ancient cities next to modern ones, the area controlled by Assyria at it's height next to the area controlled by Babylon at it's height, Paul's journeys next to modern national borders. Let me turn on/off minor cities/place. Let me do all the things Accordance can do. Logos 6.x has been revolutionary, but maps has been the most disappointing feature. Mostly, because I expected so much more. There are a few things I want more, like reference links that automagically become active as resources are acquired without requiring manual retagging, but of the existing features, Atlas is the one that feels the most incomplete and lacking.

Posts 5209
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 7:41 PM

Joseph Turner:

Selecting all ancient or iron age sites brings up all of those at once.

-Dan

Posts 1578
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:22 PM

Randy W. Sims:
Vector based. Context menu. Layers. Layers. Layers. Let me see ancient cities next to modern ones, the area controlled by Assyria at it's height next to the area controlled by Babylon at it's height, Paul's journeys next to modern national borders. Let me turn on/off minor cities/place. Let me do all the things Accordance can do

👍🏽👌🏼 Bring it on!!😁

Randy W. Sims:
Atlas is the one that feels the most incomplete and lacking.

All three volumes are still marked with an asterisk on the products page, indicating that they are incomplete. There's been discussion elsewhere, where Faithlife indicated what would be included in each volume. IIRC volumes 2 and 3 contain only story maps, while volume 1 holds the atlas itself and maybe some maps(?). Bob has stated that the goal is to have a map for every story in the Bible that would require a (unique) map. I too, find the Atlas minimally useful in its current form.

Posts 1357
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 11:40 PM

Randy W. Sims:

Joseph Turner:

Ditto. I appreciate Faithlife's effort to put together a nice map feature. Their work on the UI and look of the map is great. But it's usefulness is hampered by a bad design. OakTree's UI and rendering isn't as impressive, but it wins hands-down in usefulness and power. Vector based. Context menu. Layers. Layers. Layers. Let me see ancient cities next to modern ones, the area controlled by Assyria at it's height next to the area controlled by Babylon at it's height, Paul's journeys next to modern national borders. Let me turn on/off minor cities/place. Let me do all the things Accordance can do. Logos 6.x has been revolutionary, but maps has been the most disappointing feature. Mostly, because I expected so much more. There are a few things I want more, like reference links that automagically become active as resources are acquired without requiring manual retagging, but of the existing features, Atlas is the one that feels the most incomplete and lacking.

I agree and just wonder whether Logos has any map expert, because the current approach is not the way it should be done, vector systems and layers have been around for many decades. 

It does not show the distances, probably fortunately Smile, because then it would be in miles, feet and inches. Metric system should be at least optional so that the user can turn it on once and then it stays there until the user changes it.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 12948
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 3:22 AM

Remember you can also use the Biblical Places interactive in Logos. Sometimes it's Biblical World map is a superior option.

The Atlas maps are great for showing places in different period of history, but (as you've discovered) it can be difficult to find the places you want, and I find that there's not enough detail at most zoom levels.

Remember you have the Factbook, too. There's an entry for Erech, which takes you to all relevant maps.

You also have Search Everything, which includes Atlas results.

Posts 1495
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 3:49 AM

Veli Voipio:

Randy W. Sims:

Joseph Turner:

I agree and just wonder whether Logos has any map expert, because the current approach is not the way it should be done, vector systems and layers have been around for many decades. 

I agree with these suggestions, and hope maps can be greatly improved in future versions. I would also like to be able to export custom maps (chosing layers / cities visible, etc.), see elevation, etc.

Veli Voipio:

It does not show the distances, probably fortunately Smile, because then it would be in miles, feet and inches. Metric system should be at least optional so that the user can turn it on once and then it stays there until the user changes it.

It can already do this - just Ctrl-Click and drag... in metric too!

Posts 10350
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 4:28 AM

Rick:

Is this a Windows only feature?

In the Mac version, I displayed the map Troas to Philippi. The map shows the barest minimum of place names. Cmd-F did not find any surrounding locale. When I began typing Thess, the find box went red indicating that no such location existed. The same thing happened when I attempted to find Berea. Same with Athens and Corinth.

Posts 4343
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2015 4:41 AM

Jack Caviness:

Rick:

Is this a Windows only feature?

In the Mac version, I displayed the map Troas to Philippi. The map shows the barest minimum of place names. Cmd-F did not find any surrounding locale. When I began typing Thess, the find box went red indicating that no such location existed. The same thing happened when I attempted to find Berea. Same with Athens and Corinth.

It would seem the maps are pretty picky. I can find Haran in the patriarchal map, but I see the same behavior as you describe above if I try the same search with any other map.  

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS