Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 17 2015 5:12 PM

I really like the idea of the Logos Cloud.  I don't personally have a need to own resources as long as I can have access to it for a reasonable amount.  I have a question about Notes and Highlights with resources in the cloud.  I noticed recently that I have access to Spurgeon's Morning and Evening on my phone through the mobile app.  I have been taking notes and highlights on a document dedicated to the book.  When I go into the Desktop App to view my notes/highlights (I may search for something since I can't do that on the phone well) it says "unavailable resource".  I can't click on the note for it to show me the text I'm writing about.

So while I don't care if I own the resources, I do want to own my highlights/thoughts and ideas, and access to the snippets of information that I was writing about.  What happens if a resource is changed or taken out of the cloud?  If I stop subscribing I guess these notes would be useless because I can't access the resource anymore to see what I was highlighting?  I don't really know the answer to making this better, but just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone else has thought through it.  

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 1:18 AM

There are some free resources on the web or apps that are not free on the desktop. I suspect that is what is happening with Spurgeon.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3044
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 4:53 AM

As a practical note, you can pick up this resource here.

I own it, so at some point it must have been free through some special or something. Someone else might know.

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 6:22 AM

When you take notes in a resource, they go into an annotation file. So even if the resource is not available on a specific platform or ceases to be available, you can access your notes by opening that annotation file. Of course, this means that you cannot navigate the notes through the resource itself. This could mean that you would lose the context of some of your notes. You can use the "Quotes" viewing option in the annotation file and if the note was created by selecting text in the resource, the Quotes mode should show you what the selection was. I have not had opportunity to see whether Quotes still works if a resource ceases to be available, so something to double-check. But in any case, the notes themselves should remain. The highlights go also in file where again, you can use the Quotes mode. If the resource is no longer available, you cannot see the highlights in it of course. But my understanding is that should you own the resource again, it would show up where you had put them.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 8:40 AM

Rustamania:

So while I don't care if I own the resources, I do want to own my highlights/thoughts and ideas, and access to the snippets of information that I was writing about.  What happens if a resource is changed or taken out of the cloud?  If I stop subscribing I guess these notes would be useless because I can't access the resource anymore to see what I was highlighting?  I don't really know the answer to making this better, but just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone else has thought through it.  

I work around this by not only highlighting the text but copying the highlighted bit into the content area of the note. That way I still get to see what I highlighted even if I can't access the resource in the desktop application:

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 8:46 AM

Yasmin, since your post shows that you do have notes on resources that are no longer available to you, may I ask what happens if you display the notes in Quotes mode?

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 9:47 AM

Francis:

Yasmin, since your post shows that you do have notes on resources that are no longer available to you, may I ask what happens if you display the notes in Quotes mode?

I have highlights from two separate resources in this note file; one is a resource I own and the other is a resource only available to me on the iOS app. In Quotes mode, it shows me the highlights for the resource I own but none for the unavailable resource.  

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2015 9:54 AM

Good to know. Thank you.

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2015 7:29 AM

Thanks Yasmin.  I suspected that was the best I can do.  

No, I don't own Spurgeon's book and that is why I was asking the question.  If Logos Cloud operates like Netflix and moves resources in and out, I just want to know what happens with the context of my notes and highlights.  If Logos doesn't change resources then I just need to know what will happen if I stop paying.

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2015 7:46 AM

I am not sure what the long term plans are in terms of the stability of content. However, there are a couple indications that you may not be able to rest entirely secure here: (1) There have been resources dropped from the Logos catalog over time, so conceivably this could happen to some included in Logos Now; (2) It seems to me that both Logos Now and Logos Cloud are in a sort of beta phase, so to speak, with longer term details probably still be to be ironed out. So it is well possible that there may be a number of changes in content as the products stabilize. 

Nevertheless, I would also assume that FL knows that the success of subscriptions is related to the ability to woo longer term subscribers and to do that, these subscribers need to have a sense of security that what they subscribe to next month will continue to provide what they had last month perhaps with additions, but certainly not with constant changes. They don't want subscribers to evaluate on a monthly basis whether they want to subscribe to this month's offering. All this to say that I would assume that the resources offered would be fairly stable, although it may indeed be unavoidable, if publishing rights change, for some titles to disappear. This is a risk when you don't own the resource. Those of us who purchased some of the products that have been dropped out since still enjoy them. But if we had been renting them, they'd be history to us.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS