A12 - Does it start downloading at some point?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 28 2010 6:34 PM

I just decided to trust Logos and bought the package upgrade that I kept being emailed about. I've downloaded the Mac A12 version, installed it and started it. Gave it my user info, logged into the server and then...

nothing.

I see people are getting their libraries downloaded. Is there something I have to do to initiate that?

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:11 PM

William

Welcome to L4. See the first link in my signature. Item six contains a link to a fine video about reporting bugs/problems with the Alpha. Your log files will provide much assistance in solving your problem.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:27 PM

Hi William,

Yes, it should start downloading immediately. Being alpha software, there are still a few bugs to work out, but generally, the download works. If you look at the link Jack referred to, or the FAQ link in my signature, you can find out some information on how to post log files that will help us track down issues.

That being said, sometimes what you can do is the hold down cmd+shift and click on the little blue Logos icon in the status bar and select "Cancel All". Then close Logos 4 when it opens and restart it. That should restart the download.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:06 AM

Ah. There's no icon in the status bar.

I downloaded the application, dragged it to the applications folder and started it. It sit there very happily on my dock doing nothing.

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:41 AM

Tried installing the program on my office computer. Same result. No status bar item. No activity from the program.

I'm guessing that version 12 is not able to be installed directly but has to be installed over an existing version for it to work.

I suppose I'll wait for the next version to see if that functions. I've got 30 days to decide whether or not to keep the program apparently.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:45 AM

William N Knisely:
I downloaded the application, dragged it to the applications folder
Instead of dragging it to your Application folder, try double clicking it from the window. (sorry I don't have a good screenshot)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 11:51 AM

From the window? You mean from the disk image? It won't run. It says that it needs to be copied to the application folder.

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 11:54 AM

Tom Philpot:

Hi William,

Yes, it should start downloading immediately. Being alpha software, there are still a few bugs to work out, but generally, the download works. If you look at the link Jack referred to, or the FAQ link in my signature, you can find out some information on how to post log files that will help us track down issues.

That being said, sometimes what you can do is the hold down cmd+shift and click on the little blue Logos icon in the status bar and select "Cancel All". Then close Logos 4 when it opens and restart it. That should restart the download.

I looked at the video. Since the program doesn't actually do anything on either computer, I'm not sure how to generate a bug report or a log. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:12 PM

William N Knisely:
It says that it needs to be copied to the application folder.
hmmm... maybe that instruction has changed since I last installed, but before I just double clicked on the icon and it launched the installer.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:18 PM

William,

1) What version of Mac OS X are you running on?

2) Do you have any files in /Users/<your_user_id>/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging/

3) If #2 is yes, can you post them here?

Thanks,

Tom

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:23 PM

William N Knisely:
I looked at the video. Since the program doesn't actually do anything on either computer, I'm not sure how to generate a bug report or a log.

Did the Logos icon appear in the Dock? How many times did it jump? If you submit the log files as described in the video, the Development Team may be able to see why the app did not start.

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:26 PM

Joe Miller:

William N Knisely:
It says that it needs to be copied to the application folder.
hmmm... maybe that instruction has changed since I last installed, but before I just double clicked on the icon and it launched the installer.

The disk image now contains the actual app rather than an installer. I have had to download and install the last 2 or 3 Alpha releases.

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:44 PM

Tom Philpot:

1) What version of Mac OS X are you running on?

2) Do you have any files in /Users/<your_user_id>/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging/

3) If #2 is yes, can you post them here?

1)  10.6.2

2) Yes - one log file - with 2 lines in it.

3) 2010-01-29 12:50:21.1438 1 Info LDLS4.Macintosh.OurApp Auto-detected UI language: en-US

2010-01-29 12:50:23.3533 1 Info LDLS4.Macintosh.OurApp Culture.Current.LanguageName: en-US

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:07 PM

Hmmm.... That's interesting. The only other time we've seen the app die that quickly is when a user is running 10.4

As for generating a log file, see Joe's post here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx

Step 1 below the video has the instructions for how to enable logging.

Posting logs  (steps 2 and 3) is the only way we'll be able to diagnose the issue and proceed further.

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:28 PM

Tom Philpot:

Hmmm.... That's interesting. The only other time we've seen the app die that quickly is when a user is running 10.4

As for generating a log file, see Joe's post here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx

Step 1 below the video has the instructions for how to enable logging.

Posting logs  (steps 2 and 3) is the only way we'll be able to diagnose the issue and proceed further.

Attached4135.Archive.zip

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 4:26 PM

William,

So it looks like the application cannot write to the /Users/NickKnisley/Library/LaunchAgents folder. 

1/29/10 3:19:06 PM Logos Bible Software 4[6330] Looking for indexer plist at /Users/NickKnisely/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logos.LogosIndexer.plist

1/29/10 3:19:06 PM Logos Bible Software 4[6330] Error: could not create /Users/NickKnisely/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logos.LogosIndexer.plist. Error code: -10

Can you run the following from Terminal and give me the output?

ls -ld /Users/NickKnisely/Library/LaunchAgents /Users/NickKnisely/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logos.LogosIndexer.plist

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:01 PM

Ah - that's seems to be the issue. For some reason my profile doesn't have explicit permission to write to launchagents. (I tested by trying to drag a file to the folder - I could only do that if I explicitly authenticated.)

I manually added my profile to the permissions, tested to make sure I now had write access, deleted my Logos4 preference files and restarted Logos.

Seems to be working now.

Not sure why I didn't have access to that folder. The only odd thing I noticed was that "Dropbox" was offered as a "write only" option. I installed dropbox a while ago, but I uninstalled after I decided I like mobileme better.

Thanks for debugging help.

Posts 44
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:37 AM

Just one more observation, in case you decide to put this issue into the support database, it appears that you must manually change the permissions on the user Launchagents folder. Running "Repair Permissions" via Disk Utility doesn't seem to reset them to default.

Which is probably by design, but it's confusing and unexpected behavior. Which is why I wouldn't have thought to check prior to this.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS