SUGGESTION: Help me pronounce a word in Bible Study (in English) please.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 24 2015 12:14 PM

Wouldn't it be great if while reading a word in your NKJV Study Bible within logos, you double point to or doubleclick a challenging word and voila - it suddenly speaks it aloud (in English) for you on your device?

In my humble opinion, this would be a great basic - "please don't charge me extra" - everyone-will-come-running-to-buy Logos really cares about us common folk basic functionality feature.

Posts 4731
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2015 8:53 PM

At first blush, this seems like a reasonable idea, but I have some concerns about it.

Have you ever double-clicked on a word to see what happens--or by mistake? I've done the latter a number of times, so I know what happens.

Right now, if you or I double-click on a word in a book within Logos/Verbum, the program automatically runs a "Lookup word" command. This is a basic, common folk-friendly feature that I think (I could be wrong) is vastly more useful than a feature that reads the word out loud, which in many situations is undesirable or useless (because the computer's speakers are muted, for example).

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 2688
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2015 11:50 PM

Triple click or double right click might be an option though to trigger the speaking aloud.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 1:15 AM

Or add it to the right-click menu.

Posts 4122
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 7:42 AM

Were talking about english words here, being read out loud?

If thats what we are talking about (instead of transliterations from the original languages), then I'm not sure I'd be too interested in that.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 3027
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 8:55 AM

JoshInRI:
Wouldn't it be great if while reading a word in your NKJV Study Bible within logos, you double point to or doubleclick a challenging word and voila - it suddenly speaks it aloud (in English) for you on your device?

Yes.

I can see two (there are others...these are mine) intuitive ways to solve this.

First, on a right-click, add an option on the popup menu to Pronounce.

Second, highlight a word and choose Read Aloud from the Resource Panel menu, and only the text that is highlighted is read. (This might be a better option as it would do more than pronounce single words...I'm thinking place-name lists in the Pentateuch, for example.)

One caveat...this would depend on Logos knowing how to correctly pronounce words. In some cases, it contradicts itself. See my old thread here, for example.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3027
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 8:57 AM

abondservant:

If thats what we are talking about (instead of transliterations from the original languages), then I'm not sure I'd be too interested in that.

Remember, you are a pretty smart feller (by that, I mean educated). A lot of Logos users, not having had language training, or in some cases, any higher education, might not find Biblical names and places easy to pronounce. A feature like this would be valuable to many, even if not to academic users.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 11362
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:02 AM

Doc B:

abondservant:

Remember, you are a pretty smart feller (by that, I mean educated). A lot of Logos users, not having had language training, or in some cases, any higher education, might not find Biblical names and places easy to pronounce. A feature like this would be valuable to many, even if not to academic users.

I wouldn't recommend the OS Read Aloud feature for this, but https://www.logos.com/product/7299/thats-easy-for-you-to-say-your-quick-guide-to-pronouncing-bible-names-3rd-ed (which comes with audio)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3027
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:03 AM

BTW, the shortest shortcut I know is to right-click the word and open the Factbook. That has a speaker icon that will pronounce it if a personal name.

Are there shorter shortcuts I've missed?

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:25 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions and feedback fellow believers.  Perhaps someone somewhere in Logos-land (Faithlife) will throw us a bone and put in English pronounce functionality...that would be such a blessing.

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 5:41 PM

Rosie Perera:

Or add it to the right-click menu.

I agree with Rosie - the Context Menu is the place for it - still easy to get to whilst also being easy to ignore for those not interested :)

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2015 1:57 PM

This ought to be included on Biblical People/Places/Things tagging on the context menu. There is already English pronunciation for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Factbook entries, and there's no reason for this option not to be included on the context menu.

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2015 8:32 AM

Mark Barnes you are a gentleman and a scholar.

We are in agreement.  This would also show how much Faithlife/Logos cares about common, basic, built-in functionality.

They could film a Bible study group and someone fumbling on a word...and voila....Logos to the rescue...maybe have those with an apple iphone, a Windows Tablet, etc. all find it at once and push the button to say it.

How cool would that be?!!!

Posts 329
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 6:02 PM
Hi I have textaloud setup to read any word I click on in logos 6 And there is a setting ,which you can set to read a word out loud when You hover over a word in logos 6 , l use this setup to help me to over come My dyslexia problem's :-)
Mick
Posts 461
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 7:03 PM

Logos also has audio Bibles. This is superior to the read aloud feature because it is done by an actual human.

Posts 2084
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 11:01 PM

Mark Barnes:

This ought to be included on Biblical People/Places/Things tagging on the context menu. . . . [T]here's no reason for this option not to be included on the context menu.

Agreed. I put a case in for this a few weeks ago (without knowledge of this thread). Hopefully we'll be able to sneak it in in one of the next few releases.

Mark Barnes:

There is already English pronunciation for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Factbook entries . . . .

Over 5,300.

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 11:26 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Agreed. I put a case in for this a few weeks ago (without knowledge of this thread). Hopefully we'll be able to sneak it in in one of the next few releases.

As everyone waits for this potential functionality to be added, another way that you can work within the current Logos system to easily provide pronunciations of people and places in the Bible is to prioritize the resource That's Easy for You to Say in your library as your highest prioritized resource with English headword index. This will allow you to double click on any English word in your Bible to quickly launch That's Easy for You to Say directly to the pronunciation for that name or place.

Here is a link for a brief screencast I made to highlight this process: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRY16t-JYWuZVNIVW43UGRSTFE/view?usp=sharing

Hope this is helpful to some.

Mike

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 8
j fields | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2020 1:27 PM

Michael, I am new to LOGOS and I appreciate your help and video. However I cannot get it to work in Logos 8. I am doing exactly what you do in the video, but when double clicking the word "That Easy..." doesn't pop up.  Any suggestions.

Posts 8
j fields | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2020 1:29 PM

My Logos 8 does not show a speaker icon as you screenshot shows. I have seen this on others. Is there an option in Logos to enable this?

Posts 24012
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 11:01 AM

Hi

Sorry but I didn't see your post until just now. It is in quite an old thread and a lot of things will have changed in the software since then - though the basic principles are still the same.

I recomment you starting a new thread in the Desktop forum - https://community.logos.com/forums/155.aspx - explaining what you are trying to do and what isn't working.

We'll try to work out with you what is happening

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS