Same-Sex Marriage

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2015 7:59 AM

Edwin Bowden:

James Hiddle:

I'd like to point out a resource in this collection -  https://www.logos.com/product/50147/select-works-of-sean-and-josh-mcdowell called Same-Sex Marriage: A Thoughtful Approach to God’s Design for Marriage. It's not available individually but the package is not expensive though.

Thanks for pointing to that in a collection. I wondered why I couldn't find it in Logos.

YW and thanks for posting the resources you posted.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2015 9:38 AM

Thanks for the post, Edwin. That's really helpful.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2015 11:14 AM

A short youtube video showing N T Wright talking about definitions dealing with the word marriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxvOMOmHeI 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2015 11:33 AM

Searched Heading Text, Large Text in All Resources with match all word forms:

("same-sex",civil) WITHIN 5 WORDS (marriage,union)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:21 AM

JoshInRI:

I recommend GOD MARRIAGE AND FAMILY BY Andreas J. Kostenberger.  Its a vital resource - but I think currently missing from Logos.

It's in Vyrso

https://vyrso.com/product/14440/god-marriage-and-family-rebuilding-the-biblical-foundation

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:42 AM

Douglas Wilson is very thoughtful and articulate in presenting what marriage IS. Check out his works.

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 5:35 AM

JoshInRI:
By the way there is no such thing as same sex (insert other word here but I never will).

Yes

JoshInRI:
I recommend GOD MARRIAGE AND FAMILY BY Andreas J. Kostenberger

Joshua:  as I'm sure you already know, those who have jettisoned Sola Scriptura aren't interested in the kinds of things Dr. K. would say. And as I'm also sure you already know,  the next two battlefields: one concerns the rights of "conscientious objector" Pastors being compelled by judicial fiat to accommodate the dumpster-fire that SCOTUS ignited, and the other concerns the "B" in LGBT; the "B" demands polygamy. No, folks, this isn't over and it's going to get much, much worse. 

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 6:09 AM

Robert M. Warren:

...the "B" in LGBT; the "B" demands polygamy. No, folks, this isn't over and it's going to get much, much worse. 

Polygamy is not a concern, for sociopolitical reasons. The chief sociopolitical ally of the LGBT movement has always been those feminists who seek to socially, politically, economically, and physically displace and replace men with women. Polygamy does not achieve that aim, because polygamy has historically, sociologically, and anthropologically been expressed in the supermajority of cases as polygyny, one man with multiple wives, which necessitates the man being the head of the household without question. And no matter how the current immoral movements go about it, they won't be able to prevent that most common result if they advocate for polygamy, and they know it.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 2:44 PM

As a gentle reminder to all, from the forum guidelines:

"Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics." 

Instead, please go here to do that.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 2:47 PM

SineNomine:

As a gentle reminder to all, from the forum guidelines:

"Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics." 

Instead, please go here to do that.

Guilty. Thanks for heading us off.

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:56 PM

SineNomine:
or other controversial topics

You are correct.

But, isn't it interesting that observations in opposition to the profanation of marriage are considered controversial among Christians?

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 26303
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 5:25 PM

Or perhaps your statement was controversial for other reasons - it was, at least for me.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 5:38 PM

Robert M. Warren:
But, isn't it interesting that observations in opposition to the profanation of marriage are considered controversial among Christians?

The whole topic is controversial, no matter where one's beliefs lie on the spectrum. Mentioning book titles pro or con (which is what this thread had tactfully been confined to up until recently), is not really a "discussion" of a topic. But when it turns to advocating for one side or another of a contentious issue, then it has strayed beyond the forum guidelines. And it's not because forum guidelines favor one side over the other, or that someone is defending orthodoxy and the forum gives free reign to heterodoxy. It's simply because whenever anybody pushes for one side or the other, it quickly spirals out of control and starts turning ugly (name-calling and the like). We've seen it happen multiple times before on these forums. So we need to avoid those kinds of conversations, and that's why the forum guidelines were put in place. They remind us to keep it civil, even if we might encounter someone here that we would disagree with if we had the freedom to chat about it in person. Those sorts of discussions really are better had in person anyway, because you have the context of a relationship with the person you're disagreeing with and you can love them anyway even if you don't see eye to eye. Whereas in an online forum, it's all too easy to sling accusations and hurt people and bring calumny to the name of Christ. And arguing about something online never, never works to win someone over to your perspective. Really, believe me. It never works.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 6:17 PM

Robert M. Warren:
the "B" in LGBT; the "B" demands polygamy.

Bisexuality does not demand polygamy, that would be the equivalent of saying heterosexual men who find other women attractive must have them.... Although a challenge to Polygamy is more likely to be launched by splintered LDS sects that teach it as their God given right.

-Dan

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:30 PM

Robert M. Warren:

SineNomine:
or other controversial topics

You are correct.

Since you asked me, no, I think not*. Nor need it be to fun afoul of the guidelines: the nature of marriage is a topic for theology, and these forums, per the guidelines, do not exist for theological discussions. I have nothing against theological discussions, even on the Internet, but this is the wrong place.

*My reasons for thinking not are in fair part of a theological nature and thus are outside the purview of these forums.

Posts 2691
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 8:15 AM

Exegetically solid, available in Logos.

Homosexuality: Contemporary Claims Examined in Light of the Bible and Other Ancient Literature and Law by James B. De Young

homosexuality contemporary claims examined in light of the bible and other ancient literature and law

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 10:56 AM

Robert A.J. Gagnon

The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics

Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views

(neither is in Logos as far as I know)

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 7:37 PM

Ted and JRS...thanks for the solid suggestions.  Some of the others above are good too.  Special thanks to Edwin...great lead in Vyrso.

While purchasing the book you pointed me to which I used for class I also discovered this among others.

https://vyrso.com/product/41992/a-christ-centered-wedding-rejoicing-in-the-gospel-on-your-big-day

God help us rescue the perishing...

God be glorified...Jesus Lead On!

Joshua in RI

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:53 PM

I found this in my reading within Opening Genesis a Logos book I am using as I study Genesis 18 & 19.

I thoroughly recommend this book.  It offers Hope...and never holds back on Biblical Truth.

I think it may be valuable in the "unholy union" Topic this forum topic originally points to as well.

Joshua in Rhode Island

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 12:52 PM

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Gay_Gospel.html?id=-oW2afN9FWQC

This book and several others listed at the bottom using left and right arrrow may be useful to some.

Joe Dallas is pretty on target.

Then again any good book on the Sanctity of Marriage as God intended it in Genesis would be worth reading too.

I think keeping in the mind the whole of Scripture is vital too and NOT being afraid to open up a whole text and NOT just a few words from Scripture.

To me the operative question will always be: What did God design and intend and how are marriage/family kept holy Biblically?

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS