OT - Surface Pro 3 on Sale from MS ...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 29 2015 11:28 AM

... until 3 PM PST.  It appears that you can get $200 off of the 256GB SSD/i5/8GB Ram version. 

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 12:24 PM

Still too rich for meSad

Posts 110
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 1:50 PM

Would this be good for a pretty large library? I have been trying to save up for a 512 i7 version, but if 256 or i5 would be just as good, I may cave and jump on this deal. 

By as good, I mean would I notice significant speed improvements between i5 and i7, or between 256 and 512.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:41 PM

That depends on what you mean by "large". I have about 4000 resources (not including the hidden resources) and my Logos folder is just under 40gb. That could be reduced by about 6gb if I clean out the web cache folder containing the media I have downloaded. Check the size of your Logos folder and that will give you a better idea of what size Surface to go for.

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 6:13 PM

I have nearly 12,000 and my library is right at 40gb.  I recently purchased the surface pro 2 512gb i5 8gb ram.  The speed is similar, if your check the benchmarks it is not a super noticeable difference from the i5 to i7, in  fact the i5 in turbo can hit slightly higher than the i7.  I went through the dilemma of trying to choose and the price difference ($1000) just wasn't justified.  Depending on what else you put on it 256 should be plenty, please remember you can add a chip to increase size for storage of other programs, documents etc.  I needed to replace a laptop that the mother board fried and compared a lot of things and decided on the smaller footprint and portability of the surface pro 2 (beside, Amazon had a great sale at the time).  Android, I have, and the app is just too far reaching in comparability to Logos Windows.  Apple lost out due to cost and the Ipad lost out due to cost and not going over 128 gigs.  I wanted to ensure that I would have room for other Bible programs and MS Office, plus a multitude of pdf documents and other electronic books.  Thinking ahead some, I wanted room to grow, decent speed and portability, so surface won, just not the i7 models with 256 or 512 since prices jumped very steeply.,

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2015 6:43 PM

Tanner Thetford:

By as good, I mean would I notice significant speed improvements between i5 and i7, or between 256 and 512.

I can't find any reviews that identify a difference in read/write speeds between the 256 and 512 SSDs. The i7 will come with better Intel graphics and will probably help indexing finish sooner. But, in real world use you probably won't find much perceptible difference between the i5 and i7. I had the i5/256 and it ran Logos beautifully. My library has over 4,000 resources.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS