J.I. Packer, Knowing God

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 934
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:18 AM

Why doesn't Logos have this classic book?

Posts 3051
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:22 AM

Josh Hunt:

Why doesn't Logos have this classic book?

It has been requested many time, including by me.

I think the audio version is in pre-pub. I also seem to recall someone posting a docx file so you could PB it, but that was some time ago, and I might have it confused with something else.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:00 PM

They used to have it years ago. I have no idea why it was pulled. Maybe there was a new version coming out and the intention was to get the new version, but contract negotiations got held up and then they forgot about it after a time.

It is way past time to try again!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:34 PM

Rosie Perera:
They used to have it years ago. I have no idea why it was pulled.

It was published in Libronix format and distributed by E4. Maybe there is a licensing issue dating from back then.  Maybe....

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 12:54 PM

I've just emailed Leigh Vander Woude who is the employee currently responsible for collecting all the book suggestions from the Suggestions forum and getting them onto their "candidates" list to make sure she bumps this one up to HIGH priority if it isn't already. I pointed out to her 11 threads where this book has been requested (and there might be more). I'm guessing it is the #1 most frequently requested book in Logos format. I hope that counts for something and gives Faithlife more of an incentive to work with the publisher on this to get it into pre-pub ASAP. It's been way too long that we've been waiting for this.

If it's any consolation, it's not available in Kindle format either, so maybe it really is that the publisher doesn't want to go digital on this anymore. Or maybe Packer himself put his foot down about it (he's well known for refusing to use a computer, even an electric typewriter; he used a manual typewriter throughout his career). But even Harper Lee (author of To Kill a Mockingbird, and still living) finally caved and allowed her book to be put into digital format: Harper Lee OKs e-book version of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. So maybe that's what it'll take if Knowing God is going to come out in digital format in Packer's lifetime. (Incidentally, Harper Lee and J.I. Packer were born a few months apart, both in 1926.)

EDIT: Leigh has responded already, and she wrote:

I can guarantee this is on our radar and has high priority. Bill’s out of the office this week so I’m not able to ask why exactly, but I would assume it’s probably a rights issue and we’re working with publisher to get it sorted out. I agree that it would be awesome to have it back on Logos.com before Dr. Packer departs from this world!

Posts 934
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:25 PM

Rosie Perera:

It is way past time to try again!

I guess that was my real point!

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:26 PM

Rosie Perera:
So maybe that's what it'll take if Knowing God is going to come out in digital format in Packer's lifetime.

It is actually available in Kindle format, Rosie, and a number of his other books are available in Logos, so I suspect your previous theory is probably closer to the mark. Given that it's probably one of the most-read books (at least in evangelical circles) of the twentieth century, and one that a lot of seminaries ask students to read, it is very surprising that it's not available in Logos now. Hopefully it'll be there in time for the JI Packer 90th birthday sale next year Party!!!

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:41 PM

GregW:
It is actually available in Kindle format, Rosie

Not when I searched for it earlier, it wasn't. Nor again just now. If you can provide a URL for the Kindle format on amazon.com I'll believe you. Otherwise I'll assume you're remembering it from some past time.

Posts 934
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:49 PM

Logos version: http://amzn.com/B006NZ66RC

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:51 PM

It might not be on amazon.com, but it's on amazon.co.uk. Here's the screenshot. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 1:52 PM

Josh Hunt:

Logos version: http://amzn.com/B006NZ66RC 

You mean Kindle, I presume. Maybe it's just not available to me because I'm in Canada, but I'm not seeing a Kindle version at that link:

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 2:08 PM

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 3:00 PM

Rosie Perera:

You mean Kindle, I presume. Maybe it's just not available to me because I'm in Canada, but I'm not seeing a Kindle version at that link:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but isn't the image of the product page you posted showing the Kindle version?

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:45 PM

Rosie Perera:
I can guarantee this is on our radar and has high priority. Bill’s out of the office this week so I’m not able to ask why exactly, but I would assume it’s probably a rights issue and we’re working with publisher to get it sorted out. I agree that it would be awesome to have it back on Logos.com before Dr. Packer departs from this world!

Great news that they are trying to work something out. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 12:22 AM

Yasmin Stephen:

Rosie Perera:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but isn't the image of the product page you posted showing the Kindle version?

Yes, you're right, I did overlook the word "Kindle Edition" next to the title, but that doesn't change the fact that this title is not available in Kindle format to me, in Canada. The screenshot I included was incomplete. I should have included this part on the far right.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS