New resources under the tree this morning

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 4 2015 3:17 AM

Look what downloaded last night - 8 new resources of documentation on new-ish features! I have started to look at the Systematic Theologies resource and it looks good. Thanks Faithlife!

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 7:19 AM

I am thankful for the additional documentation.  I especially appreciate the inclusion of lists for which resources have been tagged for certain features. I like the recent focus on datasets, as they are a perfect fit for digital study.

Posts 1477
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 8:04 AM

Matthew:

I am thankful for the additional documentation.  I especially appreciate the inclusion of lists for which resources have been tagged for certain features. I like the recent focus on datasets, as they are a perfect fit for digital study.

I too really appreciate having documentation for the datasets available in the library.  I want to get a better handle on all of them in regard to what they contain, how they are utilized by Logos and how to make the best use of them, but I've always struggled in my effort to do that. 

Posts 102
Lane McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 8:32 AM

I know that I don't have Logos NOW or Logos Cloud, but I would like to see the documentation on these additional features, like the Concordance, the Systematic Theologies, etc.

At the moment, I am hard-pressed to sign up for these features without having a TRUE need for them.

BTW, I am an Apple fan, iPhone 6+ and iPad, but can't justify at this time the Apple Watch. Same with the added NOW and Cloud.

Thanks.

Posts 2769
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 11:18 AM

Lane McKay:

I know that I don't have Logos NOW or Logos Cloud, but I would like to see the documentation on these additional features, like the Concordance, the Systematic Theologies, etc.

I was just thinking the same. Trying to hold out a little while on the Logos Now free trial month until I can see sustaining the monthly subscription cost, but I may just try it anyway, cancel if I have to, and resume at a later time. The Systematic Theologies and Concordance are at the top of my interest at the moment.

Posts 25813
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 12:11 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Trying to hold out a little while on the Logos Now free trial month

The free trial is the clue to getting the documentation i.e try and see! If you don't like it you can cancel and also completely remove any trace of its resources (the Command delete unlicensed resources).

There is no documentaion for the Concordance - see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105207.aspx and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/103273.aspx + https://community.logos.com/forums/p/106320/736358.aspx#736358

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2769
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 4:38 AM

Dave Hooton:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Trying to hold out a little while on the Logos Now free trial month

The free trial is the clue to getting the documentation i.e try and see! If you don't like it you can cancel and also completely remove any trace of its resources (the Command delete unlicensed resources).

There is no documentaion for the Concordance - see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105207.aspx and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/103273.aspx + https://community.logos.com/forums/p/106320/736358.aspx#736358

Thanks Dave;

Well, the hunger got the best of me. Praying that there will be rain for the harvest before the free trial runs out. Smile

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 11:30 AM

Dave Hooton:
There is no documentaion for the Concordance -

Concordance won't get a stand-alone documentation resource, but will have an entry in the updated on-board Help resource (which I understand to be shipping this week if all goes according to plan).

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 11:34 AM

I keep hearing about "Logos Now".
I'm still trying to understand, but don't.
It is really starting to scare me that my heavy investment in Logos may soon be a waste as Logos now gets all the attention or, things are so "messy" that Now gets some features, actual software gets others etc- really confusing and, wondering if many of us have made a mistake.

I am not complaining about anything specific, just saying I'm so confused about this, I don't know whats going on.
sigh

Posts 8330
LogosEmployee

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I keep hearing about "Logos Now".
I'm still trying to understand, but don't.

Does this "What is Logos Now?" post help? https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105147.aspx

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
It is really starting to scare me that my heavy investment in Logos may soon be a waste as Logos now gets all the attention or, things are so "messy" that Now gets some features, actual software gets others etc- really confusing and, wondering if many of us have made a mistake.

I am not complaining about anything specific, just saying I'm so confused about this, I don't know whats going on.

Since the launch of Logos Now, Logos 6 has continued to receive new features and bug fixes for all users, not just Logos Now subscribers:

The software is being updated to make sure it's ready for Windows 10, OS X 10.10.4 and OS X 10.11, so that your investment will not "soon be a waste".

In addition, hundreds of new and updated resources have shipped under the "permanent ownership" model.

I think there's no evidence showing that the launch of Logos Now has been detrimental to existing long-term Logos customers.

Posts 5
Jeremy Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 12:01 PM

Charles,

I look at it like this (simplified of course). Logos releases major versions approximately every 2 to 3 years, Logos 4 - Nov 9, 2009, Logos 5 - Nov 2012, Logos 6 - Oct 2014. We are getting some features that would not show up for another 2 years by subscribing to Logos Now.

With that said, Faithlife needs a better revenue stream so some new features will be subscription only, but that works to us users benefit, since without the added revenue stream many of those "new" features would not see the light of day because of costs involved producing them. So in the end we will end up with more customized content and more unique customized hand curated biblical datasets than would have been produced otherwise, and that really works for me. I would prefer a totally pay to own model, but Bob P has convinced me he is not taking away the model we currently own but has actually added to it with "Logos Now" for those who want it.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 12:37 PM

Eli Evans:

Dave Hooton:
There is no documentaion for the Concordance -

Concordance won't get a stand-alone documentation resource, but will have an entry in the updated on-board Help resource (which I understand to be shipping this week if all goes according to plan).

And it's out:

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:01 AM

Thanks guys: Here is how I feel about it currently:
1. The advertising makes me feel like I bought a second level program and for a little over 100.00 a year ( if paid monthly ) I can now get to the better software program. This would be fine except for the fact i already went on the payment program to get the best they have, and updated that when the new and better came out, and did it again.
I upgraded my computer specifically to run Logos-the old one ran everything else just fine, even audio and video recording editing software.

Each time a new version has come out, I have upgraded to the fully featured software and, upgraded resources as well.

Now, on a three year cycle, If I join this new way to make money for Logos, I will pay out 300.00 in three years, plus , I will have to pay again for Logos 7. Surely we don't think they are going to give that to us for having Logos Now do we- that would negate having a new income producer in Logos Now.

The advertising indicates I'm running software that isn't up to date, isn't the best they have, yet, thats exactly what I paid for. I see no indication in the advertising ( though I will look again) that my 100.00 a year assures me of always saying current and not having to pay, yet again, to upgrade, yet again.

We spend a "lot" of money on Logos and, honestly, I'm not sure this sounds good at all.

I just double and then triple checked- unless I have forgotten how to read, the keyword is there repeatedly- [content, tools , data sets " Exclusive" to Logo's Now) . The language says pretty bluntly Logos Now isn't logos 6 is transition to 7 or, just getting ready for new Operating systems upgrades. This is a stand alone product and therefore, they are withholding certain " content, tools, datasets " from the installed versions in order to create yet another income stream.

Thats not what Logos has done in the past and it certainly isn't what was advertised prior.
I resent being pushed into a business model where I have to pay for the premium  program and then lease it for a 100.00 a year if i want to actually have the companies premium product.

Thanks for the input guys.

Logos- I'm not at all happy with this change.
I think you are going to have many that feel the same come upgrade time- only those leasing the software on top of paying for it will ever  have a full Logos install.
A sad day me thinks.

Posts 25813
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 3:35 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I just double and then triple checked- unless I have forgotten how to read, the keyword is there repeatedly- [content, tools , data sets " Exclusive" to Logo's Now) . The language says pretty bluntly Logos Now isn't logos 6 is transition to 7 or, just getting ready for new Operating systems upgrades. This is a stand alone product and therefore, they are withholding certain " content, tools, datasets " from the installed versions in order to create yet another income stream.

The NOW page states:-

"Think of Logos Now as an Add-On to your Logos 6 base package. A base package is still the best way to build a library of resources you own. Logos Now provides additional value to your library with the latest features, datasets, interactives, and media." +

"Logos Now only provides access to additional content, tools, features, datasets and media not available in Logos 6"  +

"Logos Now is a membership to a growing library of content and tools for serious Bible study that gives you access to the future of Logos Bible Software, today."

I don't see any withholding when you would otherwise have to wait 2 - 3 years to get it with Logos 7. Logos 6 had a slightly different interface compared to Logos 5 but its features were available in Crossgrades (some features like Inline Search later came for free with the Core engine). Think of NOW as the Logos 7 Feature Crossgrade coming out of your annual subscription; and you should also expect the Logos 7 software to be another NOW benefit (there was some discussion about differentiating the NOW features from Logos 6 features but FL aren't keen to do this when they would have to reverse it eventually i.e. Logos 7). OK, I'm presuming somewhat, but it has a better foundation than your "withholding" statement.

Logos NOW isn't a software transition to Logos 7 but your Logos 6 software is getting ready for new Operating systems upgrades.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 1:12 PM

Thanks Dave and, I see all your points.
Experience in life informs me when I see "exclusive to" something- I'm pretty sure whats coming.
I could be wrong, we shall see.
My best guess- One won't have a full Logos experience again unless one is willing to pay the yearly lease fee.

We shall see.
Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it and, all your help on the boards.

Grace and Peace,

Posts 2931
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 2:06 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Experience in life informs me when I see "exclusive to" something- I'm pretty sure whats coming.
I could be wrong, we shall see.
My best guess- One won't have a full Logos experience again unless one is willing to pay the yearly lease fee.

Charles,

Others, and more specifically I, have voiced the same thoughts on this as you. The response from the forums has generally been, "You are not listening", "You don't know what you are talking about", "Stop your pointless rant", and so on. (I'm sure I'll get more of it for responding to you, here, in this post.)

It is pointless to protest. FL is going to do what they are going to do, and many in the forums are content to send all their discretionary money to Bellingham. All you and I can do is keep our money and grab our ankles at the appropriate time. Don't let FOMO empty your wallet.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 28461
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 2:30 PM

Hey Doc... Stop your point... uh... never mind. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2931
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 3:43 PM

alabama24:

Hey Doc... Stop your point... uh... never mind. Stick out tongue

Big Smile

Yes, I have my Alabama-shaped slap mark still on my hand!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS