Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 821
JRS | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 4 2015 9:45 AM

There are so many features in LogosNow that at times it is hard to remember which features are LN and which are not.  And new ones are added every six weeks.

I don't know if this has already been suggested or not, but it would be nice if the LN features could be distinguished in some way so that they stand out from the other features of L6.  For example, italicizing "Concordance" would make it stand out from the 'normal' tools in the drop down menu.  Ditto, datasets and mediasets in the Library.  Or, underlining. Or, an "LN" superscript.  Or, highlighting. Or, whatever.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 9:51 AM

Yes - I have written about the  same issue would love to see a separate "logos Now" under tools.

Posts 30200
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 1:10 PM

Do the tools show if you don't have a Logos Now subscription? I wouldn't mind them Logos Now tools being italized but I wouldn't be willing to give up logical location for a LN only section.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 1:25 PM

Even having those resources showing up in 'red' would be better than now- but still prefer a "LN" as drop down in tools menu.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 1:57 PM

I don't think this would be a good idea. While good for people not using Logos Now, for those who use it, any sense of organization would be lost over time. Logos Now features/functions spread across all the areas of the current menu, so for example Interactive resources would be in their existing place plus in a Logos Now area? This would be true possible for guides, tools, maybe settings, who knows. The menu would be a mess.

Imagine in Microsoft Word going to one place to File Open a Word document, and somewhere else for opening other types of files - it would result in a very non-intuitive software program.

Maybe there is a way Faithlife can ADD an area so non-Logos Now users can see the features that are in subscription - and those who subscribe can ignore it. The idea of a different color, or font, or bold might work as the features/functions could be where they belong not in some unique area.

Logos/Verbum are challenging to get up to speed on, we don't need menus that are even more non-intuitive to the user.

Posts 30200
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 10:43 PM

Can anyone answer whether or not the Logos Now tools show for someone without s Logos Now (or Cloud) subscription. From several comments in the forums, I thought not ... or that if any did it was by error.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 11:09 PM

My wife's account does not have any tools, nor Interactives, nor manuals, nor datasets from NOW. Both the software and the customer licensing are capable of making these distinctions!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 30200
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 11:19 PM

Thanks Dave. That confirms what I expected. The only reason I see for being able to distinguish Logos Now features is to see what you would lose by cancelling your subscription. That doesn't put it high on my personal priority list. JRS & Whyndell, why do you want the feature i.e. how would it make your app more useful to you?

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 3:30 AM

Yes - make the LN items easier to locate - there is really no reason not to have them centralized under their own tab or drop down- Logos Now is a separate feature even though it has different components.

Basically instead of saying "where was that at?" you get "ahh its all here!."

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 3:31 AM

but to each its own- I'm not one of the special kids - so whatever they decide- I can live with.

Posts 821
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 7:28 AM

MJ. Smith:

The only reason I see for being able to distinguish Logos Now features is to see what you would lose by cancelling your subscription. That doesn't put it high on my personal priority list. JHS & Whyndell, why do you want the feature i.e. how would it make your app more useful to you?

In one sense, you are correct, M.J.  It would serve to highlight what one would lose by cancelling the subscription.  This is obvious and perhaps of more benefit to FL than to the user by helping to keep those subscriptions active.

But it would also be useful while demonstrating the software to someone.  Without it, "Here is a feature that is not yet adopted in the base packages but should be in the next major upgrade ... I think."  Ran into that situation just the other day and wasn't quite sure if what I was showing was indeed LN or not and had to go and hunt it down in the forums to confirm.

In addition, undoubtedly there are many non-power Logos users who are not as immersed in the software as are the forum-ites.  They are similar to a youngster learning to swim - they dogpaddle at a 40 mph clip, but move forward at just 1 mph, while barely keeping their nose above the waterline.  Keeping the constantly evolving subset of special LN features distinguished might be valuable in terms of helping maintain their bearings in the midst of what can be a very daunting piece of complex software.

Bottom line for me:  I like Whyndell's line, "I'm not one of the special kids - so whatever they decide- I can live with."

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 30200
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2015 10:40 AM

Thanks JRS. I understand. Given the response when I asked for something to  help in demoing I suspect you need to make a compelling argument to get Faithlife's attention. Certainly something subtle like italics would do not harm.

Posts 812
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 9:38 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. It's really unlikely that we'll do much within the software to highlight Logos Now/Cloud features.

Logos Now isn't a feature but a way to purchase access to an ever-growing bundle of software features and content. We try to avoid additions to software features that aren't directly related to the purpose and function of that feature. If we, for some reason, canceled the Logos Now program, then we'd have to roll back all of those interface changes specific to highlighting Logos Now features.

We try to avoid having features change where they live in the application. If you move from subscription to permanent license, we certainly don't want program features to move around. For that matter, we may sometimes arbitrarily decide that a Logos Now feature should have been a free updated for everyone, and change it from subscription to free. I expect this would be very rare, but it is possible.

Some features delivered by Logos Now are parts of larger features that were shipped a long time ago. For example, several guide sections. We wouldn't want to put a banner or some other visual indicator on multiple sections of a guide. What if Logos Now ships a new Copy Bible Verses style? Or a new panel menu command? Or a new button on the resource toolbar? I could come up with a way to indicate all these things, but it would rob from other, more productive work, and it the ways of indicating would be so various that they would require significant user learning to master anyway.

(We did add the permanent/temporary license distinction to resources in the Library. The main reason we did this is because you could possibly have both a permanent and subscription license to the same resource, so looking at a list of resources in, say, a Logos Cloud subscription description wouldn't actually tell you much about YOUR library. Also, there are thousands of resources, where there are only a few features. Interactives are resources, so there's that.)

I'm going to suggest that we keep a comprehensive list of Logos Now features easily accessible from http://logos.com/now from now on. That will be a straightforward way to get the information you seek.

Posts 2043
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 10:39 AM

Eli Evans:
I'm going to suggest that we keep a comprehensive list of Logos Now features easily accessible from http://logos.com/now from now on. That will be a straightforward way to get the information you seek.

The sticky thread in this forum is intended to serve this purpose.

The Logos Now product page is also a good place to see the content and some feature (basically, anything with an explicit resource ID behind it).

The features page also has a Logos Now section, but it won't include content. It looks like it needs to be updated.

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 11:47 AM

Anyway to keep logos now features on the home page

Posts 2043
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 4:51 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
Anyway to keep logos now features on the home page

I assume you mean the desktop app homepage, and I assume you mean in a fixed/pinned homepage tile. Am I right?

Is so, can your provide a little rationale for your request? Just a quick at-a-glance reminder of what value you're getting by staying subscribed to Logos Now?

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 8:33 PM

Yes the desktop- keep them up front- so those of us who work 60- 80 hrs a week don't lose touch with what we are paying for- just a request.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 7:22 PM

Instead of listing them "on the home page", the "About Logos" dialog mentions "Logos Now" in the dialog for those subscribed. Faithlife could hyperlink it to the Logos Now website so one-click takes you to the page that mentions all the latest features.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS