Bug: search for biblical phrases including footnotes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 141
Ken Guenther | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 30 2010 10:12 PM | Locked

I believe this is a bug that has appeared in Beta 6, because I am pretty sure this was working right in Beta 5 (see my question - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/10543/83008.aspx#83008).   Now when you search for a phrase in the Bible, the results will only show those occurrences where the phrase occurs without any footnotes in the text.   For example, when you search for the phrase "visions of God" in the TNIV, you get no results, although the phrase does occur in both Ezek 8:3 and Ezek 40:2.   In both places, there is a footnote attached to the word "vision".   Interestingly this bug does not occur in the ESV, but I believe it occurs in all other versions.    The bug also only occurs in search on biblical text, not commentaries, and it only occurs when the footnote is in the middle of the phrase, not when the footnote is placed at the end.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 3:01 AM | Locked

It seems like the NIV has a foot note at vision but it returns results of your search...I don't have the TNIV so i cannot check that.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:06 AM | Locked

I have duplicated this in TNIV, Ken is absolutely correct.

Posts 25862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:33 AM | Locked

Ken Guenther:
I believe this is a bug that has appeared in Beta 6, because I am pretty sure this was working right in Beta 5

It's a definite bug and I found the same in 4.0a.

The equivalent search is visions BEFORE 1 word "of God" and this also gets 0 results.

If you search visions BEFORE 2 word "of God"  you get the expected results, which shows that the footnote marker is effectively counted as one biblical word!

"visions of God" in NKJV Ezek 1:1 has an embedded footnote but is found OK. ESV does not appear to have the problem as "in visions of God" is found at Ez 8:3 and 40:2.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8689
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:35 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

It's a definite bug and I found the same in 4.0a.

Thanks for confirming this; it will be fixed in the next 4.0b Beta release. (You will need to rebuild your Bible index.)

Posts 25862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:56 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Thanks for confirming this; it will be fixed in the next 4.0b Beta release. (You will need to rebuild your Bible index.)

So the problem can only be fixed in 4.0b and we have to rebuild the bible index AFTER installing beta 7?

Will this fix the issue in all bibles or does it only address the TNIV?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8689
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 6:51 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

So the problem can only be fixed in 4.0b and we have to rebuild the bible index AFTER installing beta 7?

Will this fix the issue in all bibles or does it only address the TNIV?

The problem is caused by a bug in how words are determined in the indexer; any index built with the code in 4.0b Beta 7 will be free of the problem.

What Bibles other than the TNIV are affected?

Posts 25862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 8:06 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

None that I know of, but if other bibles have the same/similar issue with footnotes I was wondering if they would also be fixed in Beta 7.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8689
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 8:55 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Bradley Grainger:

None that I know of, but if other bibles have the same/similar issue with footnotes I was wondering if they would also be fixed in Beta 7.

Yes; any Bible that encodes U+FEFF as the first character in a superscript formatting run that includes a footnote marker will be fixed in Beta 7. Smile (The code didn't anticipate this, because no Bibles other than the TNIV are coded that way, and the TNIV (obviously) wasn't tested when the indexing code was developed.)

Posts 141
Ken Guenther | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 10:14 AM | Locked

Thank you Bradley.   I have checked several different versions, and I cannot reproduce the problem in any other.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS