Gestures by Default on Logos 6.4 Service Release 2

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 155
Alan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 6 2015 9:30 PM

"Gestures can now be toggled on or off. They are off by default, and can be toggled by entering set use gestures to yes/no in the Command Box" as read in the release notes.

I was a "victim" of this new default when one day was unable to use gestures until some kind person point me to this toggle on or off.

Would it not be more practical, if not logical, to set default as "ON".  If one is indeed using gestures, then there is no further action to be taken.  Conversely, if one is NOT using gestures, then this feature is kind of non-existent, irrespective of on or off.

Some food for thoughts for future ..... ? Wink

Posts 8006
LogosEmployee

We've learnt (from customer feedback) that it's easy to inadvertently trigger a gesture on a Windows touchscreen device or a Mac trackpad. Since very few other programs use gestures, it's very confusing (for the user who doesn't know what gestures are) to understand what just happened. When you don't even know what the ‟feature might be called, it's extremely hard to search the documentation to find if there's a way to turn them off.

Conversely, if you are used to using gestures, and know what they're called, and suddenly find that they're not working, it's easy to search the documentation or forums to find if there's a way to turn them back on. (Note: I just found out that the set use gestures to yes command wasn't documented, so I've added it to our Help resource source; it should be in the next update.)

Gestures were a fun and novel feature when we added them to Libronix in 2005. However, they never saw much use in our software, and never became popular in the industry, so we're turning them off by default.

Posts 155
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 10:16 PM

Thank you for the explanation, Bradley.  Glad that FL has indeed thought of the issue before implementation.  Well done !!

Posts 9
Karl Flentje | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2015 11:29 PM

The reasoning for setting the default to 'off' makes perfect sense, but it was confusing for me when I wrote to customer service to ask what had happened and I was told to look in the Wiki and there was nothing there.  I looked in the program's help.  Again, nothing.  Fortunately I found this post on the forum and was able to find out what to do.  If it is being documented now, that should take care of the problem, but customer service really shouldn't be referring people to an article that doesn't address the problem that was asked about.

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 5:35 AM

Karl Flentje:
customer service really shouldn't be referring people to an article that doesn't address the problem that was asked about.

+1

I hate when I hear of users being directed to the forums because CS didn't know the answer. That makes it customer DIService.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS