A12 Indexing Failure

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2010 4:41 AM

EVERY time I start up Logos4 it starts indexing for a while, then indexing dies later on. 

5481.A12-indexer-fail-on-doc318.zip

Posts 67
LO | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:56 AM

Mike,

I had the same issue in both A11 and A12. Check out Tom's reply to me with these three command bar commands related to fixing the index:

1. Rebuild index
  2. Merge indexes
  3. Rebuild Bible index

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9941/84414.aspx#84414

I was able to fix my indexing problem with a clean install (i.e. remove the whole program and start over with a fresh install), but I'd recommend giving the three commands a try first.

Posts 6
Matt Singleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:54 AM

How do I follow these steps? I can find anywhere in Logos how to Rebuild Index, Merge or Rebuild Bible index.

I'm having the same issues as Mike S. and I have reinstalled and nothing fixes the problem.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:03 AM

Go to the command bar (by the magnifying glass) and type the commands without quotes.  Don't hit enter.  Wait for the dropdown list to populate and select the appropriate command from the  tools section of the drop down menu.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:04 AM

Note that this process will take many hours to complete, and your computer will run REALLY slow.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 11:27 AM

I looked at your log, and the problem is that you are running out of disk space.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:57 PM

So that's pretty scary, because I have 135GB free space when I start (I left it as the only open app when indexing).

Either it's not reading free disc space correctly, looking for a specific kind of "free", or the indexing processes is using up 135GB temp space. 

Sound right?

Posts 6
Matt Singleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:09 PM

Thanks, I found it. But it does nothing when I click on it.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:43 PM

Sorry, I took another look and I'll have to retract my statement.  I think I was fooled by the CR-LF translation so I didn't see the whole log file.  Rebuilding your index should fix this.  It's trying to merge with a corrupted index, which will never work.

Posts 67
LO | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 2:29 PM

Matt,

The current Mac Alphas do not provide any indication that the commands are actually doing stuff. (I'm told the Windows version does.) So, you have to let it cook in the background for a bit--even up to 5-10 min, in my experience, before the little blue tray icon will pop up indicating that indexing is happening....

Cf. http://community.logos.com/forums/p/8791/72611.aspx#72611

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 3:42 PM

While Mac Alphas not show indexing information on screen, log files do - including indexing progress status and when complete, elapsed time.

By the way, remember seeing yellow bar above Logos 4 home page in Windows with message about initial library indexing.

Have Fun :)

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 3:50 PM

Clicking on the indexer icon in the menu bar will give you status and approximate time remaining

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 3:54 PM

Cool, that is an update that I have not noticed.  Nice job team! Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 6
Matt Singleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 4:44 PM

Thanks LO

Posts 41
MajorCedar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 4:50 PM

Gosh, gosh, gosh.  I've tried using A12 for the first time (given that program is so unusable - sorry for beating the same "I'm so upset and am complaining" drum - BUT I AM!!!!!!!!).  I'm experiencing the same problem mentioned here, that is, it keeps 'indexing'.  WHY?  WHY?  Someone said the index file is corrupt?  How?  I don't even use the program?  I still use the other (broken) Mac version.  

Hands in the air (and mumbling/grumbling) needing help.

-----

By the way, each time I try and enter "Rebuild" and then choose the "Tools > Rebuild Index", the program crashes.

Thanks in advance. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:00 PM

Wonder what logs show for Indexing ? (other log posts lead to resource identification and corrupt index issue)

Observation: signatures for Tom Philpot and Joe Miller includes links for enabling logging and how to post logs along with associated console messages.

Personally Thankful for Logos development team - Alpha software can be frustrating and rewarding - like Ecclesiastes 3.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:03 PM

MajorCedar:
Someone said the index file is corrupt?  How?  I don't even use the program?

I believe the corruption was in code that was building/modifying the index.  It happens.  My suggestion is to calmly remove your hands from the air onto the keyboard and type rebuild index into the command box.  After this process is complete type rebuild bible index.  Do not hit enter in either case, but wait for the list of suggestions to appear and select the appropriate command.  NOTE: running the rebuild index command at night should reduce the occurrence of sudden outbursts of grumbling due to a slow and unresponsive machine.  Big Smile

Hope this Helps

Michael Kares

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

When you find a reproducible crash, the best thing you can do for yourself and us is to submit your logs immediately after the crash (don't restart the app; that'll clear the app logs). If you're not familiar with the log submission process, there are instructions in my signature.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 41
MajorCedar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:53 PM

Okay.

The problem, in this case, is that I don't know that there is a crash.  Well, in fact, there is no crash.  I think I'm done indexing so I restart the app and then it starts over.  It completes, no crash, and I think it might be fixed.  I restart and it starts indexing all over again.

As for the steps to Rebuild, Merge, Rebuild..., can you provide more instruction.  Do you "Rebuild"; wait for it to finish (how will you know?) then "Merge", etc.?

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:06 PM

Enter the commands in the order listed in Tom Philpot's post near the top of this thread.  Wait for the previous command to finish before executing the next one.  When the Logos icon disappears you will know that that particular process is finished.  Also, if you have the indexer.log file open while the indexer is running, this will give you more information about what is going on.  If you see any errors popping up in the log, leave the indexer running, make a copy of the log file and post it to the forum.  Note: you may want to zip the log file before posting it.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS