If you ignore Android, you ignore the future.

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2010 7:57 PM

The Android mobile operating system was introduced to the world on November 5, 2007. It's adoption rate was slow at first but has been increasing dramatically in the past year.

In the past few months there have been increasing reports of developers turning their back on the iPhone app sotre (partly due to Apples flawed app approval process; do an internet search for "Google Voice iPhone App" for more details). The development of Android apps has been outpacing the iPhone since at leaste January 2009 (http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/android-growth-outpaces-iphone/), and it is well known that the app store is what keeps the iPhone alive.

Android devices are currently offered by Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon in the United States alone with AT&T to follow with three Android devices the first half of 2010 (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-sales/promotion/ces.jsp). Android has also been widely adopted world wide. To date, Android has already surpassed Windows Mobile and is tied with RIM for Mobile Operating System popularity world wide. In October 2009, Gartner, Inc. predicted that Android will be the second most popular mobile operating system in the world, second only to Symbian OS (the current number one), by 2012 (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139026/Android_to_grab_No._2_spot_by_2012_says_Gartner).

I am increasingly disturbed by how many companies are only developing for iPhone OS and pretending that Android doesn't exist. I understand that they are going where the market is, but the market is only iPhone heavy today. It won't be for long. Android ought not be ignored, for by doing so these companies are ignoring both the future and a growing number of their users. This is both unwise and short-sighted.

It is therefore not only recommended, but it would behoove Logos to develop for Android sooner rather than later. In this way they will not leave their growing Android user base out in the cold.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:17 PM

This may very well be true, but it looks like spam. This was Roger Peters' first post on the Logos forum, and it's written in a journalistic/editorial/marketing tone, speaking of Logos in the third person, not with any sense that Peters himself is a Logos customer. The links are mostly promotional links to sites that sell Android devices or support.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:24 PM

Roger Peters:
In this way they will not leave their growing Android user base out in the cold.

This is a great point. I think Logos went from having 3 Android users last year to 5 this year. 

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 8:33 PM

Android is a fragmented platform in which the software that works for Android 1.6 won't work for Android 1.5.

"A slew of problems have made managing Android apps a “nightmare,” they say, including three versions of the OS (Android 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0), custom firmware on many phones, and hardware differences between different models.

For users, it means apps in the store could be buggy, might not work well depending on their handsets, and could deliver a frustrating experience. Unaware of the increasing back-end complexity, they would then be more likely to leave bad reviews for those apps — a potentially lethal blow for small businesses, say developers."

That's why is not easy to get as many developers as with the iPhone platform...

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/android-fragmentation/#ixzz0eRaTKdka

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:20 PM

Rosie Perera:

This may very well be true, but it looks like spam. This was Roger Peters' first post on the Logos forum, and it's written in a journalistic/editorial/marketing tone, speaking of Logos in the third person, not with any sense that Peters himself is a Logos customer. The links are mostly promotional links to sites that sell Android devices or support.

Rosie, I very much doubt that it is a span unless Google (who makes Android) and ATT have somehow teamed up to promote an alternate platform. This would also not make sense for ATT since this would mean cannibalizing its IPhone ans Itouch products.

Many of us would like to see apps in different platforms but from a business perspective iPhone/itouch is the safer bet for Logos now (it is much easier to program for iPhone because the product is highly standardize and you do not have a myriad of models and brands using that OS like what you have with Android, and Windows Mobile), once any of the other platform grabs a sizable or dominant share of the market as the dust settles, Logos will develop an app for that platform.  

It is all about numbers including market share 

Alain

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:57 AM

No, it's not spam. Yes it's my first post but that's because I joined the forum yesterday after discovering that Logos has no plans on developing for Android. Everyone has a first post.

I use the tone I did because I was presenting my premises which describe Android which lead up to my conclusion which describes what I believe would be best for Logos. That's how deductive reasoning works.

I use the third person to refer to Logos because I am not Logos and neither are you.

I posted the links that I did in order to substantiate my claims. Your claim that "the links are mostly promotional links to sites that sell Android devices or support" is false. One is an Android blog, yes, but the other two are AT&T (cited to substantiate my claim about them) and Computerworld (Technology News, cited as a source for the given information). Yes AT&T will soon sell Android devices, but that was the point I was making.

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:38 AM

"Android is a fragmented platform in which the software that works for Android 1.6 won't work for Android 1.5."

This is a noted frustration of the Android community. This fragmentation is the result of three major factors.

1. Verizon gave Google a bunch of money so that the Droid is the only device ever to run Android 2.0

2. HTC and other manufacturers have been dragging their feet in releasing updates for their devices.

3. The G1 (the first Android phone) is physically limited by the built in memory and is incapable of updating past 1.6.

All this will go away, however, when Android 2.1 is released. HTC is already poised to push 2.1 to all it's devices (save the G1) upon it's release. The G1 will be the only exception, but all of it's users should soon be eligible for upgrades soon.

To summarize, this will soon be a moot point, and therefore there is no reason it should keep Logos from developing or Android.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 6:53 AM

Roger Peters:
o summarize, this will soon be a moot point, and therefore there is no reason it should keep Logos from developing or Android.

Why shouldn't Logos develop for the Blackberry instead? There is a much larger user base, a well established track record of growth and innovation, it seems to me that that would make much more sense than Android. Oh, wait. Logos doesn't charge for their mobile apps. So that can't be the reason. I remember! Bob has an iPhone, maybe if someone sends Bob (and the rest of the pritcherts) new 2.1 Androids they will develop for that platform instead. I doubt it though since they have already made a commitment to develop for the iPad.

Roger, everyone has a favorite platform and everyone has their reasons as to why it is best and how badly Logos is losing out by not creating a custom app for it. But I don't know of anyone that bought L4 because of iPhone support and that is where their money is at. Frankly, I think they are missing a bet because the developed L4 for Windows before Mac, but that is because I choose to use a Mac (it is clearly superior to Windows Big Smile). But when you look at the installed base, it would have been business suicide for them to focus on Mac first. Logos made a business decision based on a number of reasons, one of which I am sure is installed base and the demographics and spending habits of the users. They may develop for the Android one day, when it has grown up and has a substantial user base willing to layout the dollars for L4 (or L6 by then). In the mean time, they have provided library.logos.com, for ALL the other mobile platforms out there, including Android which can make good use of it because it does browsing quite well.

Roger, you have chosen a good phone, with a great future (IMHO), but my job provides me with any phone I want, as often as I want. I carried the Droid for about a week and then went back to my iPhone. My boss has had a droid since it came out, but he won't give me his iPhone back Sad . But the Android is the only platform that has any where close to the user satisfaction that the iPhone does in our company, but it still has a lower satisfaction rate than the iPhone. One day it will catch up, and probably pass the iPhone, but that day isn't here.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 7:13 AM

Terry Poperszky:
But I don't know of anyone that bought L4 because of iPhone support

Er, actually, count one, me Wink I saw the iPhone app, got it on top of all the Olive Tree resource I had and then got hooked on Logos (and the sooner all the Silver material is available, the better, as I loath having to use Parallels on my MB Big Smile

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 7:52 AM

Chris Farwell:
Er, actually, count one, me Wink 

Which is why I didn't say "No one has" Big Smile Now the next time I will have to say "One guy claims to, but I don't know whether to believe him or not" Stick out tongue

Actually, I personally think the whole iPhone, Library.Logos.Com idea is a shrewd business move on the part of Logos. They are building more and more value into the resource infrastructure (i.e. search engine) that the cost of the resources becomes more and more reasonable. I can't count the number of believer's that I have shown both the app and the web access to. They are much more likely to check out L4 now after seeing me accessing my resources in SS, than they would in other circumstances. I agree with a lot of the comments about Logos needing a 49.95 base package though to allow people to get their feet wet.

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:06 AM

Terry, I believe you're misinterpreting the intent of my orriginal post. I'm not trying to say that they should stop developing for iPhone and develop for Android instead. I'm not even saying that they shouldn't have developed for iPhone first. I'm addressing the issue that there are currently no plans to develop past the iPhone.

The only reason I even brought up the iPhone is to address the reason that most developers develop for the iPhone first because it's popular. I was citing Android's growth to show that it too will soon be popular and there will likely be more people asking for Android than there will be for iPhone. Why not develop for RIM? Because it's not as popular, and won't be. I never intended to start an iPhone vs. Android battle. What I want is for companies, in this case Logos, to be aware of Android and the looming demand, and start developing early.

Local apps are best because you're not dependent on your 3G or Wifi connection to get your bible. I want my content to be stored locally on my phone so I can use it no matter where I am or what connection I have. Isn't that the whole point?

Posts 2807
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:20 AM

I'm guessing the primary reason Logos is on the iPhone and not X platform is that aside from money the Logos folks don't use that platform. It has become very clear they are mostly using windows and mac/iphone. So they are users and see the potential market to make this available. The mobile web version is their answer to the call for it on X platform where X=all other mobile devices besides iphone. And it is actually quite good and going to be better. Go to the Logos 4 beta forum and look for a post about the mobile web beta to discover why i say that.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:43 AM

Roger Peters:
Terry, I believe you're misinterpreting the intent of my orriginal post. I'm not trying to say that they should stop developing for iPhone and develop for Android instead.

Actually I didn't pick it that up, although my post might seem like I might have.

Roger Peters:
Why not develop for RIM? Because it's not as popular, and won't be.

I have to disagree with you there, Rim is extremely popular in the smartphone market and will continue to be for the near future.

Roger Peters:
I never intended to start an iPhone vs. Android battle.

I have to admit, I am probably a little gun shy on this point since the plethora of posts "Yelling dump iPhone, develop for Android"

Roger Peters:
Local apps are best because you're not dependent on your 3G or Wifi connection to get your bible.

Agreed at the current state of technology, but as a truism as time goes by this may become less so. I am really enamored with the library.logos.com beta for the desktop and where I see it going.

Roger, glad to have a chance to talk with you, as I said I believe that Android has a great future and I think you have made a good choice.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:47 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
It has become very clear they are mostly using windows and mac/iphone.

I know, it is really sad. I was looking at the sysadmin posting and wondering if I wanted to work in a pressure cooker again, but given their reliance on MS, I decided no. 

Disclaimer: Yes this is a swipe at MS products, but it is not a swipe as you a user choosing them.  Smile

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 9:12 AM

So it is not intentional that your statement:

Terry Poperszky:
Disclaimer: Yes this is a swipe at MS products, but it is not a swipe as you a user choosing them.

is followed by the first line of your signature block?

"The best thing God ever did was to tell me it is OK for you to be wrong?"Wink

DP

<><

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:59 AM

David A. Peterson:

is followed by the first line of your signature block?

"The best thing God ever did was to tell me it is OK for you to be wrong?"Wink

Isn't that what I said? I wasn't taking a swipe at them for using MS products? Angel 

Posts 9
Roger Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:25 AM

Terry Poperszky:
I have to disagree with you there, Rim is extremely popular in the smartphone market and will continue to be for the near future.

I'm just following the data where it leads me. As far as mobile data access goes, in October 2009 Android was at 27% and Blackberry had 10% (http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/android-os-gains-7percent-market-share.html) That combined with the analysis of Gartner cited in my orriginal post both show that Android has a future of being much more popular than RIM.

Terry Poperszky:
I have to admit, I am probably a little gun shy on this point since the plethora of posts "Yelling dump iPhone, develop for Android"

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I would just like to reiterate that while I've cried "develop for Android," never have I cried "dump iPhone." This thread is about why Logos should develop for Android.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:47 AM

Roger Peters:
both show that Android has a future of being much more popular than RIM.
 Predictions, do not carry as much weight as sold units. I was reading some predictions the other day that said that the Apple iPod was a total failure and would never last into the second generation. 

Roger Peters:
I've cried "develop for Android," never have I cried "dump iPhone."
Alas,  many (not all) headed down the path of  not "and", but "instead of". I was admitting that I may have allowed a little history to color my post.

Posts 1118
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 12:12 PM

This whole thread makes me glad that there are only two main computer OS and that M$ has such a large market share. If the computing world was as fragmented and as incompatible as the smart phone market we would never get anywhere. Back in I think 1991 I bought my first PC and was making the choice between an Apple IIe and an IBM PS/2 Model 30. The IBM won out because DOS had more programs and you could chose from a range of hardware manufacturers. I have never regretted going with M$ over Apple and I find it hard to believe that so many people are willing to buy such overpriced hardware just so they can run OSX or whatever.

The smartphone market is worse than video game consoles. At least all the most popular games are available for every console. When you throw in the fact you are tied to a particular cell phone carrier and/or app store it boggles the mind. Personally, I hope that Android dies a quick and cruel death for being totally incompatible with itself nevermind other software. My two favourite pieces of software are now available for iPhone, Logos being one of them but the other is also available for both Windows Mobile and Palm OS so I prefer the versatility. That other program is not working on an Android version because of the difficulty in programing and lack of standardisation.

I could buy an iPhone but they are still highly over priced and the mandatory cell phone plans are outrageous. I will probably go with Windows Mobile even if it means I cannot use Logos.

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 12:34 PM

TomReynolds:
Back in I think 1991 I bought my first PC and was making the choice between an Apple IIe and an IBM PS/2 Model 30.

Heh...perhaps you meant 1987.  I had a Mac by 1991.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS