Bug: 4.0b Beta 7: Logos ignores hyperlink color setting in Windows Control panel, while paying attention to Window text color

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2010 2:17 AM | Locked

This happens in Vista, and presumably Win 7. N/A in XP, as it didn't have this setting. I'm giving the steps in Vista since I don't have Win 7, but I'm guessing there will be a similar problem there.

• Open any Logos resource that has some hyperlinks in it (e.g., Revised Common Lectionary)
  • Open the Windows Control Panel
  • Type "color" in the search box
  • Select "Change the color scheme" under Personalization
  • Click Advanced
  • Click the Item dropdown and select "Hyperlink"
  • Click the Color dropdown and select a noticeably different color
  • Also select "Window" in the Item dropdown and choose a different color (contrasting with the hyperlink color you chose).
  • OK your way back out of there.
  • Go back to Logos and notice the hyperlink color did not change, but the resource window text color did.

We've been trying to help a user who has trouble seeing that the hyperlink text is a different color from the window text color (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10982.aspx), and it would be nice for her to be able to change the hyperlink color. Changing the window text color would help her, but one often doesn't want to change that away from the default black. It seems that ignoring the Windows color for hyperlinks (which is a new feature as of Vista), that is hard-coding that dark blue color in, is a bug, or at least non-polite Windows app behavior.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 3:16 PM | Locked

The 'Resource Panel Background' setting in Logos 4 under Tools > Program Settings must be set to "Windows Default" to see changes made to the Window color. Support for other color settings, such as Hyperlinks, are not included. I can submit this request.

In Windows 7, follow Rosie's steps above to change the window background color, but under Personalization, select "Change window colors and metrics" to bring up the Window Color and Appearance dialog.  

Melissa

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:00 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

The 'Resource Panel Background' setting in Logos 4 under Tools > Program Settings must be set to "Windows Default" to see changes made to the Window color. Support for other color settings, such as Hyperlinks, are not included. I can submit this request.

Thanks, Melissa! Smile Logos does support changing the default window text color (it's the bottom color control for the item "Window" in the Windows Control Panel settiings), even when I have my Resource Panel Background set to White (not Windows Default). So it appears to be getting the default window text color from Windows, but hard-coding the hyperlink color in. Logos should either get both settings from Windows, or it should allow both to be customized like the panel background can be, with the user being able to set it separately for Logos or use the Windows default.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 9:11 AM | Locked

That's the setting I changed, (I've always had mine set to a tan color to make windows less glaring), and I only see my Windows default when I have that chosen in Program Settings, in both 4.0a SR-3 and 4.0b Beta 7. I'd be interested to know whether anyone else is seeing the same thing as Rosie.

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 9:56 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

That's the setting I changed, (I've always had mine set to a tan color to make windows less glaring), and I only see my Windows default when I have that chosen in Program Settings, in both 4.0a SR-3 and 4.0b Beta 7. I'd be interested to know whether anyone else is seeing the same thing as Rosie.

I'm not denying what you're seeing. That is no different from what I'm seeing. But I'm talking about more than that, and I suspect it has nothing to do with my specific setup or the version of Logos I'm running. Nobody else might have noticed it or been bothered by it (except for Charlene who reported over at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10982.aspx that she was having a hard time distinguishing the hyperlinks from the rest of the text because the color was so similar and she couldn't change it). I'll admit it's minor. But I'm reporting it because I'm a stickler for details.

Let me be more pedantically descriptive. There are three different settings involved.

First off, this is the setting dialogue I'm referring to in the three items below.

1) The top color setting affects Logos's panel background color only if you have your Resource Panel Background set to Windows Default (which is what I'd expect, and is the same thing Melissa has been talking about; not a bug, not a problem, it works fine for me). You can control the background color in Logos independently from other Windows apps if you want to by using some other color than "Windows Default". This is a good thing.

2) The bottom color setting affects Logos text color no matter what, because there isn't a setting for text color in Logos, so it always uses this windows default. What I'm saying is Logos should add a text color setting to parallel the background color setting. This isn't a bug per se, just an extra feature that would be nice, because these two colors work inconsistently at present. One has more flexibility in Logos than the other. It's OK as is though, because at least I can control the text color in Logos through the Windows control panel. However it would be better if it worked just like the background color worked.

3) Finally, Logos always uses dark blue for the Hyperlink color, ignoring the Windows hyperlink color altogether (which you set by changing the dropdown above from "Window" to "Hyperlink" and then selecting from the bottom color palette control -- the top one is greyed out). This is a bug, IMHO. There is a setting in Windows for Hyperlinks, and applications should pay attention to it. Either make it work like text color does, i.e., get the default hyperlink color from Windows, and stop there (namely, fix the bug), or add the extra little feature like the one I'm suggesting for text color: that is, allow users to set the hyperlink color to "Windows Default" or anything else if they want Logos hyperlink colors to be different from what they are in other windows apps.

See, if I set my hyperlink color to red in Windows, Logos ignores that and still uses dark blue.

At the very minimum, the bug described in #3 should be fixed. But it would be nice if all three of the color settings had the full functionality that the panel background color currently has in Logos.

Hope I'm finally making myself clear and not describing something that you can't reproduce, Melissa.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:21 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Hope I'm finally making myself clear and not describing something that you can't reproduce, Melissa.

Yes, thanks-- I missed the word "text" in your earlier statement, " Logos does support changing the default window text color." 

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:39 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Rosie Perera:

Yes, thanks-- I missed the word "text" in your earlier statement, " Logos does support changing the default window text color." 

Thanks,
Melissa

I also am experiencing the fact that it is not easy to see the hyperlinks in the text in Logos 4 because of the dark blue color used.  Many times I've missed that there was even a hyperlink there.

Because of that, I would also request that Logos would make it easier to distinguish hyperlinks from the rest of the text.

Maybe a setting to make all hyperlinks bold. Or, as Rosie is suggesting, a setting to be able to change the color of hyperlinks inside the program.

Just some way to more easily see hyperlinks in the text.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:45 AM | Locked

Stein Dahl:

I also am experiencing the fact that it is not easy to see the hyperlinks in the text in Logos 4 because of the dark blue color used.  Many times I've missed that there was even a hyperlink there.

Because of that, I would also request that Logos would make it easier to distinguish hyperlinks from the rest of the text.

. . . as Rosie is suggesting, a setting to be able to change the color of hyperlinks inside the program

I so agree! It is difficult to see the hyperlinks, and I too am having a hard time seeing them in certain books. Please do as Rosie as suggested and allow us to be able to change the color of the hyperlinks!

Thanks!

Charlene

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2011 3:59 PM | Locked

Bump. This bug was reported over a year ago. What is the status on it? It has come up again here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/29634.aspx

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:26 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

Bump. This bug was reported over a year ago. What is the status on it? It has come up again here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/29634.aspx

As a feature request, this is under consideration for a future release.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:09 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Rosie Perera:

As a feature request, this is under consideration for a future release.

It seems that this has fallen by the wayside and is starting to grow thorns...... Can we get this from 'under consideration" to "Look for it in the next few updates"!!! Big SmileCrying Confused

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS