PLEASE bring back the Topic Browser

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1562
PL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2010 8:27 PM

I'm seriously missing the true ability to do a topical search while trying to do a topical study!

I know this was raised as a gap before, but wanted to bring this to the forefront again to expedite the return of topical browsing / searching.

For some reason this didn't even make it to the Missing Features list: http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 9:00 PM

i agree.

The only topic browsing in L4 is in the passage guide. And that is a joke; this hurts my eyes and frustrates me.

Plus you can only type in a Bible passage.

You are right, there is no Topic Search tool. This is one reason that i keep L3

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 9:18 PM

I don't think anybody is satisfied with the current concept of doing a Basic Search and getting "topics" under certain conditions.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 9:28 PM

Although I like the Wordle Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1541
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:16 PM

PeterLi:

I'm seriously missing the true ability to do a topical search while trying to do a topical study!

I know this was raised as a gap before, but wanted to bring this to the forefront again to expedite the return of topical browsing / searching.

For some reason this didn't even make it to the Missing Features list: http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

Thanks,

Peter

It should be on the missing features list, I agree.

Posts 33246
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:50 PM

PeterLi:

Did I misunderstand? I thought Logos' explanation of the limitations of the topic search now was that we didn't have a true topic search in L3 and that we were getting a true topic search in L4 as books got retagged. I've certainly seen an increase in the material appearing under "Topics" and given that it came from places like "Topical Bible" it indicated that the tagging was being done.

[I think L3 used a head word search rather than topic search, but I certainly could be wrong.]

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:07 AM

The only topic browsing in L4 is in the passage guide. And that is a joke; this hurts my eyes and frustrates me

Petrli,as a Christian wouldn't it better to use a better language? 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:43 AM

MJ. Smith:
[I think L3 used a head word search rather than topic search,

In addition to headwords, L3 uses the subject index from the back of the original print resource (and maybe more?).

A wonderful feature of the Topic Browser is that it generates a list of topics from a "find" word.  E.g., I just looked up "narrative" and got a long list of topics that begin with narrative, e.g.,  narrative, Hebrew; narrative, rescue; narrative theology; narrative exegesis.  This is a great tool to help me both narrow my target and enlarge my thinking at the same time.

L4 is just not complete by not taking full advantage of the topic indexing that already resides in the resources.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 1562
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:07 AM

Mary-Ellen Vian:

MJ. Smith:
[I think L3 used a head word search rather than topic search,

In addition to headwords, L3 uses the subject index from the back of the original print resource (and maybe more?).

A wonderful feature of the Topic Browser is that it generates a list of topics from a "find" word.  E.g., I just looked up "narrative" and got a long list of topics that begin with narrative, e.g.,  narrative, Hebrew; narrative, rescue; narrative theology; narrative exegesis.  This is a great tool to help me both narrow my target and enlarge my thinking at the same time.

L4 is just not complete by not taking full advantage of the topic indexing that already resides in the resources.

Mary-Ellen, you're right.  I think so far L3 and L4 have offered 3 different ways to do a topic-like search:

1) Topic Browser - user types in a given topic, and Logos returns a list of "topics" based on the subject index of each book in the library - only available in L3; still missing in L4.

2) Topics section in the Passage Guide - user types in a Bible reference, and Logos returns a "wordle" of topics which are presumably head words from certain dictionaries and indexes in your library - new in L4.

3) Reading Lists - user types in a given topic, and Logos returns a reading list which was submitted by other users on the topics.logos.com wiki website - new in L4.

I'm requesting #1 to be re-introduced in L4.  Hope this clarifies it for everyone.

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:18 AM

Tes:

Tes, please be careful about trying to be the language police. I personally find nothing offensive in his language or their content.

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:35 AM

MJ. Smith:
I think L3 used a head word search rather than topic search, but I certainly could be wrong.

L3 used a topic search which yielded more results than a true headword search because of the loose connection of "topic" words to a serious discussion in the section with which they are associated. As I understand it, Logos want to construct  a database of topics and topic alternatives in order to gain more accurate results by matching them to resource headwords. Some dictionaries provide their own alternatives  eg. xxxxxxx: see yyyyyyyy.  I think Logos would prefer to list  yyyyyyyy in the Topic section  (of Basic Search).

The most obvious disadvantage of the current Topic search is that it may list 2 - 3 dictionaries whilst we have (and can find) 9 - 10 dictionaries with the same headword(s) for that topic.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:51 AM

Terry Poperszky:

Tes:

Tes, please be careful about trying to be the language police. I personally find nothing offensive in his language or their content.

Yes, nothing offensive there as far as I'm concerned. Maybe as a non-native English speaker, you mistook his words for something rude? (I've made the reverse mistake before in a language not my own; tried to say something and it came out meaning something embarrassing! Embarrassed)

By the way, it was Steve Clark you were quoting, not Peter Li.

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:40 AM

OK. If it so,I accept it.Thank you.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:47 AM

OK, thank you Rosie,you are right ,that does'nt go with my mentality ,I will try to ignore when I see such words for the future. Thank you all for having petience with me .I apologize as well.God bless you

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:59 AM

Tes:

OK, thank you Rosie,you are right ,that does'nt go with my mentality ,I will try to ignore when I see such words for the future. Thank you all for having petience with me .I apologize as well.God bless you

No worries. Blessings. We appreciate you.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:06 AM

Tes:

The only topic browsing in L4 is in the passage guide. And that is a joke; this hurts my eyes and frustrates me

actually using the words "that is a joke"  IS a bit demeaning sounding.  Better would be: "I have no clue how to make this useful to me."

That said, Tes, use the "Reply" button, not "Quick Reply" when you want to quote someone.  WHen the "reply" dialogue box opens, select the text you want to quote, and then click "quote" and that part of the text will appear on your reply. (if you want the whole thing to be quoted, no need to select/hightlight, just click "quote" without doing a highlight and ALL will be quoted)

The reason is two fold: 

• the way you did it above looks like YOU said "this is a joke" etc, because the quote is not attributed to anybody in your reply, and the text itself is as though you wrote it yourself
  • if you actually use "reply/quote" method I detail above, there will be no mistaking who made it.  In this case, you said Peter Li said something bad, and you really were referring to Steve Clark.  I searched Peter's comments and kept thinking "what on EARTH could have offended Tes?!"  Now, knowing what Steve said, i can see your point a little bit.

Dan

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:16 AM

PeterLi:

1) Topic Browser - user types in a given topic, and Logos returns a list of "topics" based on the subject index of each book in the library - only available in L3; still missing in L4.

2) Topics section in the Passage Guide - user types in a Bible reference, and Logos returns a "wordle" of topics which are presumably head words from certain dictionaries and indexes in your library - new in L4.

3) Reading Lists - user types in a given topic, and Logos returns a reading list which was submitted by other users on the topics.logos.com wiki website - new in L4.

I'm requesting #1 to be re-introduced in L4.  Hope this clarifies it for everyone.

Excellent recap, thanks!

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:12 AM

Peter, I appreciate how helpful the topic browser was to you. Personally, I found that it missed a lot of stuff and I needed to do other searches to mine my library for all its worth.

Here's a post by Sean Boisen http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3470/27363.aspx#27363 that explains some of the background of this issue.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:21 AM

The current 'topic browser' is woefully inadequate...  I'd agree the look of it is confusing...  While L3's topic browser might not have been searching efficiently (from what I've heard), I still have to use it instead of L4 when I'm needing to search a topic.

Posts 3195
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:27 AM

Dan DeVilder:
That said, Tes, use the "Reply" button, not "Quick Reply" when you want to quote someone.  WHen the "reply" dialogue box opens, select the text you want to quote, and then click "quote" and that part of the text will appear on your reply. (if you want the whole thing to be quoted, no need to select/hightlight, just click "quote" without doing a highlight and ALL will be quoted)

Thank you so much Dan for taking time to settle down the matter,and showing me how I have to use ,I really appriciate you!God blesss you!

Blessings in Christ.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS