Screenshots - How do you capture/make one?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:14 PM

Logos 4 on my laptop still isn't working. Unfortunately, I am unable to activate logging and cannot figure out why. Can someone please tell me how to capture a screenshot? I notice that many people include them in their posts on the forum, but I'm unable to figure out how.

Thanks!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:23 PM

Good question Christina

First off, windows has the ability built in.    So you can hit the print screen key, open Microsoft paint, paste the picture in, crop it down and save it in order to upload it. 

OR

you can use a specialized program for screenshots like Windows 7's built in snippet tool, or jing which many of us, myself included use.

All of these tools take screenshots and allow for markups like arrows and overlaid text on the picture.

To upload the picture click the paperclip in the toolbar of the text editor here and find the picture you just took and click upload.

(Note to self/or someone else - this needs to go on the wiki)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3846
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:25 PM

Christina:
Logos 4 on my laptop still isn't working. Unfortunately, I am unable to activate logging and cannot figure out why. Can someone please tell me how to capture a screenshot? I notice that many people include them in their posts on the forum, but I'm unable to figure out how.

I use Gadwin System's print screen utility.  They have both a free and a paid version - the free version works well.

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

I know others use other utilities.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:49 PM

type snipping in search on start menu if you are running windows vista or higher, its built in

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:03 PM

Another tool which I like is SnagIt, made by the same company that makes Jing. Though it's not free (as Jing is), it does have some extra functionality. My favorite is the ability to do edge effects like this (which conveys that you're showing part of something which continues but you're not showing the whole thing):

I use a variety of different screen capture tools, depending on how I plan to use the results. CaptureWiz is the quickest way I know to get into the clipboard or save to a file a rectangular region of the screen. Snippy allows you to capture an arbitrary region by hand-drawing a lasso around it:

Oh, and then there's Camtasia (also made by the same company that makes Jing) if you want to capture a video of something happening on your screen, e.g., to demonstrate a bug occurring.

I guess some of us just like accumulating all sorts of geeky tools! Geeked

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:24 PM

I've been using FastStone Capture v.5.3 (the last freeware version) - one of the techs I work with recommended it to me for a documentation project I'm working on. It does markup and annotation, and also the ragged edge effect. You can see some sample screen caps in my previous posts. You can grab it at http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Capture/3000-2192_4-10645361.html

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:46 PM

Thanks, Christina, for asking the question.  I've wondered that, too!

And thanks, everyone, for all the great info!  Super helpful!

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:28 PM

Rosie Perera:
Oh, and then there's Camtasia

isn't that a new Disney film?

Anyway, i keep avoiding this, but doggone it, George Allekveytyaberzhanistan has asked me for a screenshot.  i did not know Win 7 has such a tool.  I have Win 7.  Great!  I need to screen snip George's name, too.  i thought my name was tough for people.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:30 PM

Dan DeVilder:

George Allekveytyaberzhanistan

Big Smile ROFLOL Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS