Pre-Pub Pricing (Baker Books)

Page 1 of 14 (264 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 263 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1385
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:25 AM

I was scanning through the new titles that are being produced from baker books. All the titles are prices as suggested retail. I thought the pre pub pricing was suppose to be cheaper. It says pre pub special but there is no special. Maybe I am just misunderstanding pre pub..

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:33 AM

That's strange. One or the other number must be a typo. Yes, pre-pub is supposed to be a discount off even the Logos "sale price" which is often lower than the SRP. Given that the SRP for the print version is $19.99 on Amazon.com (and you can get it for significantly less there), I think the "Pre-Pub Special" price must be a mistake.

Dan Pritchett? Are you reading this thread? (He'd be the one to look into this.)

Posts 1385
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:36 AM

It seems all of the books on this list are like that .

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 2:20 AM

You may remember that the Zondervan prepubs were also like this. Only the collections were discounted, individual books were offered on prepub at retail. Sadly, I expected to get taken for a ride by Zondervan - but I don't expect it from Baker. I do hope this is an error.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 3:44 AM

If I paid the suggested retail price, I would want to receive a paper copy along with the digital book.

If Baker is planning to do like Fortress and others, and sell the paper books at retail with a CD included, I am disinclined to sign up for a retail price prepub without the additional paper copy as at least an option.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 48
GS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 3:54 AM

It's interesting to see publishers' approaches to electronic publishing.  The Logos blog is encouraging users to pre-order Baker products to "send a message".  I for one won't pre-order an e-book at regular hardcopy retail prices to send a different "message": it's unreasonable to expect users to pay the same amount for an e-book as a hardcopy.  I understand there is formatting work that has to be done and that there are benefits of the e-format (shelf space & searching) but e-books don't require the investment in materials and distribution and that savings should be reflected in pricing rather than in the publisher's bottom-line.  I'm sure I'm over-simplifying but in most cases I won't pay more for an e-book than I would for a hardcopy through Amazon or CBD. 

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 4:32 AM

Rosie Perera:
I think the "Pre-Pub Special" price must be a mistake

If so, then they made the same "mistake" on all the new Baker pre-pubs.

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 4:50 AM

While I'm very pleased to have the Baker titles, calling them pre-pubs but at full price feels misleading. The fact they did it with Zondervan titles as well doesn't change that.

The Who’s Afraid of Postmodernism? title is about 80% higher than the same book on Kindle. (Didn't check the others.)

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:13 AM

Seems as though market success and dominance brings higher suggested retail prices with no discounts.  Freedom at work I suppose...Crying

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:30 AM

It appears to me that Baker's philosophy is that print edition sales are not to be sacrificed because of electronic editions. The plus is that electronic editions are becoming available much quicker than previously in publishing.

I like the availability of electronic titles so that I don't have the double expense of first buying the print edition and some time later buy the electronic edition.

Posts 3165
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:38 AM

ReneAtchley:

Seems as though market success and dominance brings higher suggested retail prices with no discounts.  Freedom at work I suppose...Crying

Thats free market- but also remember- if you don't buy because of the expense they sooner or later get that message as well, which is also part of the free-market.

I have not purchased many of the Zondervan products because of pricing- and unless they reduce the price never will. I have most in print that I already have a substantial investment in and do not intend on doubling the damage.

God bless America where retain the freedom to do with our money as we will, well for a little while longer any way, only 3 years of the Dictator left and His hinch men and women.

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:17 AM

ReneAtchley:
Freedom at work I suppose...Crying

My choosing not to sign up for them is also "Freedom at work". Big Smile

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:19 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
God bless America where retain the freedom to do with our money as we will, well for a little while longer any way, only 3 years of the Dictator left and His hinch men and women.

Your political slander is offensive and does not belong on this forum. 

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:26 AM

GreggShelton:
The Logos blog is encouraging users to pre-order Baker products to "send a message".  I for one won't pre-order an e-book at regular hardcopy retail prices to send a different "message": it's unreasonable to expect users to pay the same amount for an e-book as a hardcopy.

I intend to send the same "message." I will not purchase any Logos format book that is not equal to or less in prices than the already heavily discounted hard copy price. With the internet only fools pay SRP for anything, especially book and other media. If book, music and video publishers expect me to pay SRP they have another thing coming--NO SALES!!!!

It is a brave new world out there in retail. If Zondervan and Baker want to survive in it they better wake up and smell the coffee.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:28 AM

Terry: I fully agree.  Those kinds of comments are WAY out of line.  Obviously it was meant to inflame.  Why would anyone think this is the place for that?

Whinedell: just curious.  What are "hinch men?"

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:31 AM

GreggShelton:
in most cases I won't pay more for an e-book than I would for a hardcopy through Amazon or CBD. 

GreggShelton:
it's unreasonable to expect users to pay the same amount for an e-book as a hardcopy.

Yes I agree.

I don't think/like it should be listed as a pre-pub discount if it is going to be sold at regular price, especially SRP.  I'm glad Logos is gaining more licenses, but not a fan of it being at the cost of having us pay max prices for things. 

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:32 AM

Garrett Mercury:
Whinedell: just curious.  What are "hinch men?"

Garrett, as much as you want to, don't go there. It just doesn't benefit anyone. DAMHINT Wink

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:42 AM

Just to give an example of how ridiculous these prices are; one of the resources has a SRP of $17.99.

Logos eBook: $17.99

Amazon Paperback: $12.23

Kindle eBook: $9.99

I like having books in my Logos library, but NOT that much.

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:36 AM

With no pre-pub discount .... just might wait and see if a set of interesting books shows up in a discounted collection in the future.

Steve

Posts 466
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:52 AM

I will NOT pay full retail for ANY book (print or Logos). NOBODY pays full retail for books these days. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Page 1 of 14 (264 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS