Search within a forum

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
James Mol | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 5 2010 4:13 AM

Hi all, 

Being new to the forums, I can't seem to find how to search within a forum. I am trying to find an answer to the stagement:

User ID and Confirmation Code do not match

and I get results from every forum. Is there any way to narrow it down? The more search options does not seem to have that option. 

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 4:17 AM

Unfortunately, no. The search function is improved over what it used to be, however, I still find myself going to Google to search the forum.

Regarding your question, it sounds like you need to call or email customer support.

Posts 19
James Mol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:30 AM

Kevin Becker:

I still find myself going to Google to search the forum.

Ah, Google. I will give it a try. 

Thanks

Posts 7389
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:38 AM

James (and anyone else looking for search hints).  To successfully search the forums with google, insert your search terms and then end it with site:community.logos.com  That will restrict the search to the forums only.

e.g.

Handouts site:community.logos.com

Posts 19
James Mol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:55 AM

Doh, 

During install there is an option to have the license email to you. Selected that and all is up and running. 

Now to get Library 4 on my G4 mac...

Posts 19
James Mol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 5:55 AM

Thanks for the instructions!

Posts 1111
William Bingham | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:36 PM

Kevin Becker:

Unfortunately, no. The search function is improved over what it used to be, however, I still find myself going to Google to search the forum.

Regarding your question, it sounds like you need to call or email customer support.

How would searching in this forum be improved?  Is it just a matter of paying a different provider for such a service.  I personally would be willing to put up a couple of bucks per month to get a really nice forums area. 

Maybe my problem is that I really don't know how to search via google.  How do you'll search?  Would you give some examples? 

Posts 103
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 1:39 PM

William Bingham:
Maybe my problem is that I really don't know how to search via google.  How do you'll search?  Would you give some examples? 

I'd just add site:community.logos.com to whatever terms I want to find, and ask Google.  Then it will only return results from this site.

Posts 15775
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 2:16 PM

William Bingham:

William, Google Guide is an excellent site (not affiliated with Google) that teaches everyone from novices to advanced users how to use Google and all its many hidden features to do better searches: http://www.googleguide.com

Posts 5
edgy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:48 PM

Thomas Black:

James (and anyone else looking for search hints).  To successfully search the forums with google, insert your search terms and then end it with site:community.logos.com  That will restrict the search to the forums only.

Is there any way to use Google to restrict the search to a particular forum?

Posts 15775
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:43 PM

edgy:

I didn't think this was possible, but you've just spurred me on to figure out a way to do it. You can include the "breadcrumb" (that little chunk of text at the top of any post which shows you what thread you're in, in what forum, and how that traces back to the top level) in your search criteria. So, for example, at the top of this thread you'll see "Home > General > Search within a forum" -- thus you'd want to include "Home > General" in your Google search. For example, if I wanted to search for all my posts in the PC Beta forum, which happens to be a sub-forum within Logos 4, I'd search for this:

"Rosie Perera" "Home > Logos 4 > PC Beta" site:community.logos.com

Posts 5
edgy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:05 PM

Rosie Perera:

edgy:

I didn't think this was possible, but you've just spurred me on to figure out a way to do it. You can include the "breadcrumb" (that little chunk of text at the top of any post which shows you what thread you're in, in what forum, and how that traces back to the top level) in your search criteria. So, for example, at the top of this thread you'll see "Home > General > Search within a forum" -- thus you'd want to include "Home > General" in your Google search. For example, if I wanted to search for all my posts in the PC Beta forum, which happens to be a sub-forum within Logos 4, I'd search for this:

Bravo! Nicely done! Yes

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 3:58 AM

Rosie Perera:

Good catch! I've linked to this in the wiki under "Tips from the Forum"

Posts 381
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:37 AM

Thomas Black:
insert your search terms and then end it with site:community.logos.com 

Thomas, thanks for the instructions.I tried it an Google came up with fewer and more relevant hits than the generalized search provided in the forum.

Do you know of a way to only search say the Logos 4 form?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:42 AM

Jim McDaniel:
Do you know of a way to only search say the Logos 4 form?

SearchTerm "Home>Logos 4" site:community.logos.com (see Rosie's suggestion above)

Posts 381
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 10:08 PM

Firefox users:

I played around with using the keyword feature in Firefox to simplify searching the Logos forum. (I'm too lazy to type out everything needed). Here's how to create a shortcut in Firefox that will allow searches of the entire Logos forums.

• Find the bookmark and open its properties (right click on the bookmark you saved and select properties).
  • Replace the Name with   Search Logos Forum  or something similar.
  • Replace the Location with      http:// followed by www.google.com/search?as_q=%S%20site:community.logos.com
    (The reason I said "followed by" is that I can't get this post editor to not automatically convert the entry to a link. When it does, the underscore is obscured.
  • Fill in the keyword field with anything you like. I used   lform  (that's "L" forum). It must be one word.

Looks like this

• Save the bookmark.
  • Test it. Go to the location field at the top of the Logos window and type in  lforum followed by a space followed by something you want to search for, for example

lforum search forums

Of course you can replace "search forums" with anything you want.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 381
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:45 AM

This is a more up-to-date version of an earlier post. The forum software will not allow me to edit or replace that earlier post - don't know why.

Firefox users:

I played around with using the keyword feature in Firefox to simplify searching the Logos forum. (I'm too lazy to type out everything needed). Here's how to create a shortcut in Firefox that will allow searches of the entire Logos forums.

• Find the bookmark and open its properties (right click on the bookmark you saved and select properties).
  • Replace the Name with   Search Logos Forum  or something similar.
  • Replace the Location with      http:// followed by www.google.com/search?as_q=%S%20site:community.logos.com
    (The reason I said "followed by" is that I can't get this post editor to not automatically convert the entry to a link. When it does, the underscore is obscured.
  • Fill in the keyword field with anything you like. I used   lform  (that's "L" forum). It must be one word. Note: I found that adding a colon to the search keyword helps distinguish it from tags which is a new feature in Firefox 3. So it should be lforum:

Looks like this

• Save the bookmark.
  • Test it. Go to the location field at the top of the Firefox  window and type in  lforum followed by a space followed by something you want to search for, for example

lforum search forums

Of course you can replace "search forums" with anything you want.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 381
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:15 AM

James Mol:
how to search within a forum

If you use Firefox, you can set up a shortcut for searching within a forum using the keywords that Firefox allows for bookmarks.

Create a book mark to any site (you are going to change all the parameters, so the site doesn't matter) and put it somewhere convenient.

Find the bookmark and right click on it, then select properties. Fill in the properties entries like so:

Name:  Anything you want. I used L4 Forum Search

Location:  http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%S%20%22Home%3ELogos%204%22%20site:community.logos.com

Tags: Any tag you want

Keywords: A keyword you want to use to invoke the search. I used  l4forum:    That first letter is an "ell"

Description: Any reminder you want.

It should look like this:

Save it.

Test it. Go to the Firefox location bar and enter   l4forum: followed by a space followed by anything you want to search for. The search terms can be one word or  multiple words without quotation marks.

Hope this is helpful.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 16834
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:39 AM

Jim:
Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful, Jim

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 1290
JimT | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:51 AM

Peter Venable:
I'd just add site:community.logos.com to whatever terms I want to find, and ask Google.

Does anyone have much idea of how often Google updates content?

The search tool here in the forum will find content right away. Google will only find it if its updated its feed, so very fresh content will be missed. Unless Google knows some new trick I'm not up with ...

(I remember the Good Old Days of Altavista, and how it was the only game in town. It used to drop by every fews days or weeks, for any updates.)

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS