Using Volunteer Programmers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:23 AM

I often read Logos employees here saying, "Haven't had time ..."

I get that. I appreciate it. Why not utilize volunteer programmers? I bet there are people here with the chops to help with some of the things that we as users are clamoring for, but you as programmers do not have time since these are not as high a priority. Why would you not let a volunteer program small simple things for fun or the pride of saying,"I worked on Logos XXXX" or for trade of resources.

OK programmers - line up here to say you are in to show that this would work.

One example. Getting the logos log in to work on Kindle. Sounds like something a volunteer could do since you don't have time right now but many of us would love to do this.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:49 AM

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Charlene

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 4:38 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me...

I would definitely be interested, given the opportunity.

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 7:15 AM

I would love to as a developer/software engineer, infact I'd do anything (even emigrate just to volunteer to be the Barrista for the coffee machine) if it meant helping the company out (sadly I cant because of the need for that funny colored card...), buI that said, on a really serious note, I cant see any part of the code leaving the offices at Belingham, even with a NDA, its still too bigger risk IMO.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 7:26 AM

DominicM:

I would love to as a developer/software engineer, infact I'd do anything (even emigrate just to volunteer to be the Barrista for the coffee machine) if it meant helping the company out (sadly I cant because of the need for that funny colored card...), buI that said, on a really serious note, I cant see any part of the code leaving the offices at Belingham, even with a NDA, its still too bigger risk IMO.

Why should you be concerned about a "green" card?  Thousands here aren't concerned about that !  Angry  [I put "green" in quotes since it is no longer green)]

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:32 AM

Wonder about volunteer efforts to improve open source software used by Logos ? (e.g. Mono)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 10:42 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Wonder about volunteer efforts to improve open source software used by Logos ? (e.g. Mono)

Unfortunately Mono is not a viable alternative, nor will it be based on Mono's current roadmap of development plans.  Logos 4 relies heavily on Windows Presentaiton Foundation, a subsystem of Microsoft .NET. Unfortunately, Mono does not, nor do they have any plans to implement WPF on their open source .NET platform.  This is stated on their web site.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 12:50 PM

Dominick Sela:
Unfortunately Mono is not a viable alternative, nor will it be based on Mono's current roadmap of development plans.  Logos 4 relies heavily on Windows Presentaiton Foundation, a subsystem of Microsoft .NET. Unfortunately, Mono does not, nor do they have any plans to implement WPF on their open source .NET platform.  This is stated on their web site.

The Mac UI is built on Mono http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7939.aspx

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:15 PM

Dominick Sela:
Logos 4 relies heavily on Windows Presentaiton Foundation, a subsystem of Microsoft .NET.

I believe that Mono is used in the Mac version.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS