Faithlife Should defend or counterattack.

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 9 2015 7:35 AM

I think  Faithlife should defend the Forum from attackers or counterattack to destroy their capability of bombarding  the Forum with their ugly weapons . It is better to take a measure of offence before they reach the Headquarter. 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1011
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 8:54 AM

As tempting as it might be, I don't think offensive counter-hacking would be the most appropriate response. My hope would be that FaithLife is working with law-enforcement to address the problem - as well as bringing all of the defensive measures to bear that they can.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 10:06 AM

EastTN:
My hope would be that FaithLife is working with law-enforcement to address the problem - as well as bringing all of the defensive measures to bear that they can.

Defensive measures indeed. This spamming may be consternating but I'm not aware of any laws that have been broken. If any have been I would find the specifics personally helpful to know.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 10:10 AM

Today was a terrible day in the life of FaithLife.  Today I had over 1000 of these unwanted spam emails in my mail client.  This needs to be attacked ferociously to stop altogether.  The way I counter is to create rules.  In the subject area of the message there are some English characters/numbers.  I delete all other chars in front of and behind them, ie. T O P 0 15 , COM and I have the rule send all emails to trash.  Yes, this helps to sort and delete sometimes hundreds to the trash bin,  then I have to create another rule for whatever change in the subject area.  While this works, it still takes time to create the rules, let them run, repeat until all these spam emails are trash binned.  With over 1000 today it took over 30 minutes in the creating, sorting, and deleting.  Logos/FaithLife please try to have something at server level to help.  Censorship or some kind of creative rule setting needs to transpire for these unwanted, deliberate attacks.

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 1011
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 11:44 AM

JAL:

... This spamming may be consternating but I'm not aware of any laws that have been broken. If any have been I would find the specifics personally helpful to know.

You may be right.  I was thinking of the CAN-SPAM act, but I'm not an expert in the area - it may not apply to forums like these.  If the activity is not illegal, then it would seem even less appropriate to somehow try to counterattack.

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 1:44 PM

Junk emails/forum posts are not easy to deal with. They can be dealt with, but the dynamic nature of some won't allow a simple rule to be created that is effective for any length of time.

Posts 26297
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 1:57 PM

Tes:

I think  Faithlife should defend the Forum from attackers or counterattack to destroy their capability of bombarding  the Forum with their ugly weapons . It is better to take a measure of offence before they reach the Headquarter. 

Becoming as lawless, irresponsible, unethical and impolite as the aggressor is never the best answer. Logos is doing the best job of stopping the spammers as their software allows, i'm quite certain. Spammers are ruthless, cunning and unrelenting ... I closed my site because the draconian measures required to ban the spammers interfered with the site's purpose. I let others handle the fight now.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 146
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 2:28 PM

Been a while since I registered but does the forum have simple checks in place to make sure it is a human registering? Entering numbers or phrases from an image is a popular one.

I believe Logos is deleting and disabling the accounts, but if you can mass make new accounts with little effort this won't stop.

I participate in a lot of forums in many different domains, and sorry this is the worst I have ever seen a forum in a long time.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 2:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

Becoming as lawless, irresponsible, unethical and impolite as the aggressor is never the best answer. Logos is doing the best job of stopping the spammers as their software allows, i'm quite certain. Spammers are ruthless, cunning and unrelenting ... I closed my site because the draconian measures required to ban the spammers interfered with the site's purpose. I let others handle the fight now.

Yes

Dustin Pearson:

Been a while since I registered but does the forum have simple checks in place to make sure it is a human registering? Entering numbers or phrases from an image is a popular one.

I believe Logos is deleting and disabling the accounts, but if you can mass make new accounts with little effort this won't stop.

I participate in a lot of forums in many different domains, and sorry this is the worst I have ever seen a forum in a long time.

They do a fantastic job most of the time. Which you'll see if you stick around a bit. Like everything stuff ebbs and flows, the bad guys escalate, and then the good guys implement more robust rules to deal with it. its been two or three years (prior to maybe the end of june?) since I've seen robot spam on this forum.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 2:48 PM

MJ. Smith:

I closed my site because the draconian measures required to ban the spammers interfered with the site's purpose.

Thanks for having your site.  I learned a lot there.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 3:17 PM

Tes:
I think  Faithlife should defend the Forum from attackers or counterattack to destroy their capability of bombarding  the Forum

Through my contacts at the NSA, I've learned that Faithlife is indeed planning a counterattack, though the timing is still unclear.

We were able to get a copy of their tactical map showing which units would proceed where during the initial phases of the attack.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 3:32 PM

Doc B:

Tes:
I think  Faithlife should defend the Forum from attackers or counterattack to destroy their capability of bombarding  the Forum

Through my contacts at the NSA, I've learned that Faithlife is indeed planning a counterattack, though the timing is still unclear.

We were able to get a copy of their tactical map showing which units would proceed where during the initial phases of the attack.

Hey Snowden how are ya? Stick out tongue

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2015 11:47 PM

Why not restrict forum posting to users who have purchased any resources?

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 1:03 AM

MJ. Smith:

Tes:

The aim of my starting the thread was not to blame to Faithlife , it is clear they are the most  victim of the attack and they are doing their best to rid out of this problem. I have never been in the USA in my Life. I am sure there is a barrier of language and mentality. I am very grateful to be a part of the forum. Even my self sometimes when I see some posts they are  strange for me , but over the years I have learned to respect any ones idea they way it is. Even though I am not happy to see couple of words which make me less comfortable on the top of my post. I have great respect for you and I will never forget what I have benefited from you. I have learned a lot from you about the Software. I would like to thank you again for taking the courage to teach me to humble myself.   

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 26297
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 1:37 AM

Tes, I apologize if I came off as harsh. I'll admit that I get very frustrated with users telling Faithlife what to do without knowing what they are doing. This is because of an interesting personal experience. My expertise is not security, however, I worked at a university with a person in charge of security who was considered one of the best in the country. She would tell of then unpublicized case where 3 major research universities in the US were hacked by someone in a major Asian city. Said hacker seemed to only wish to steal computer power for math problems. However, they were finally forced to reject all traffic from said Asian city even though some had staff currently there doing research. Eventually they found a way to block the hacker but it was weeks of work but some top security researchers.

My point is that spammers and hackers can be very hard to stop and most of the ideas that we who are not experts come up with are probably already being used and filtering out much of the spam ... the spam visible to us as users is a small portion of the spam actually hitting the site. Yes, the forum software is relatively old and probably needs to be updated to provide a better first line of defense. And yes, Faithlife probably has not invested in state-of-the-art security ... and probably can't afford to ... but they probably can afford some improvements.

Thus far tonight it appears that Logos has finally foiled, at least temporarily, this particular attack without interfering with our ability to use the forums. We'll see if the spammer tries to break the current security or moves on to target another site. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 2:08 AM

MJ. Smith:

Tes, I apologize if I came off as harsh. I'll admit that I get very frustrated with users telling Faithlife what to do without knowing what they are doing. This is because of an interesting personal experience. My expertise is not security, however, I worked at a university with a person in charge of security who was considered one of the best in the country. She would tell of then unpublicized case where 3 major research universities in the US were hacked by someone in a major Asian city. Said hacker seemed to only wish to steal computer power for math problems. However, they were finally forced to reject all traffic from said Asian city even though some had staff currently there doing research. Eventually they found a way to block the hacker but it was weeks of work but some top security researchers.

My point is that spammers and hackers can be very hard to stop and most of the ideas that we who are not experts come up with are probably already being used and filtering out much of the spam ... the spam visible to us as users is a small portion of the spam actually hitting the site. Yes, the forum software is relatively old and probably needs to be updated to provide a better first line of defense. And yes, Faithlife probably has not invested in state-of-the-art security ... and probably can't afford to ... but they probably can afford some improvements.

Thus far tonight it appears that Logos has finally foiled, at least temporarily, this particular attack without interfering with our ability to use the forums. We'll see if the spammer tries to break the current security or moves on to target another site. 

Dear MJ Smith, I appreciate for responding and explaining much which I have never been aware of the background of the Logos system. Thanks a lot I feel like a family it reminds me the Joy I had when I started the thread " We have become friends through the Forum" . Yes I am glad it seems that Faithlife has now succeeded to stop the attackers. Thanks again!

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 548
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 9:54 AM

MJ. Smith:

uhm, wait, this isn't facebook, I can't click the like button, so - here:
"like"

great reply MJ.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 10:09 AM

Jan Krohn:

Why not restrict forum posting to users who have purchased any resources?

This sounds like an ideal situation but it may end up causing issues... A husband and wife may share an account.. if they both wished to be int he forums that may be in possible unless you turn off duplicate accounts which would then might defeat the purpose. Also people who have only the mobile device and those wishing to make a purchase have come on here asking questions, I do not think FL wishes to exclude potential customers from getting the information that will lead them to possible purchase of a base package. And these attacks seem very pointed I mean we all know spam happens but not usually on this scale, for all we know the person behind this attack may well have a FL account and feels disgruntled. I sincerely hope this is not the case, but I am not understanding how on earth this level of SPAM could be considered beneficial to a business.

-Dan 

Posts 777
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 3:06 PM

Tes:

I think  Faithlife should defend the Forum from attackers or counterattack

...in Christian love, of course.  Smile

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS