El Capitan beta Can't open Logos 6

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 12
db | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 8:22 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

David Browning:
**Editorial remark: I find it absolutely infuriating (insert choice words here) that Logos won't run on a beta OSX, especially since it has in the past. There really is no reason for this (yes, I know there are reasons for it, but none of them are good ones, not least because it leaves customers in the lurch). If Faithlife thinks this is necessary they should have sent a mass e-mail to customers, alerting us that the overpriced software won't run if Apple users update to a public beta. Seriously, I don't know about anyone else, but I personally feel that after paying thousands to use Logos this should not happen!

If you're implying that we deliberately coded Logos 6 to not run on a beta OS, then that is a false charge.

When we say "we don't support it", we simply mean "you're on your own". If Apple introduces a change in their public beta that breaks our application (which they did), our customer support team can not help you with that problem, because you're running a pre-release OS.

We recommend not installing pre-release OS versions; or, if you must, install them on a dedicated testing computer/partition.

I see...In that case, i apologize. I was actually responding to posts by what looked like a logos rep. the posts indicate that it is "Logos policy" to not run in Beta OSX. I'm not sure if it was even an actual rep at this point (though it looked 'official'), so, apologies - thanks for the clarification/correction! I appreciate it.

Posts 8022
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 10:11 PM

Apology accepted. Smile

We were as surprised (and frustrated) as anyone else. Since Logos 6 had been running OK on the Developer Beta, we weren't expecting any problems. It would seem that something changed in the first public beta, but we had no advance warning from Apple nor time to prepare a fix before the public started downloading the OS X beta.

David Browning:
the posts indicate that it is "Logos policy" to not run in Beta OSX

Our only "policy" is that we don't provide support for Logos on a pre-release OS. We consider this an advanced testing scenario, and that users who choose to download a beta OS are aware of the potential problems of doing so, and run at their own risk. We do test the latest builds of OS X and Windows 10 internally and endeavour to make sure that the latest version of Logos is compatible with them when they are released.

Posts 59
FrMoses | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 11:23 PM

Today, Apple released a supplemental update to El Capitan Public Beta 1, which addressed instability and crashes with 32-bit applications, but unfortunately, the update did not fix the Logos issue.

I use Verbum with an 8-Core Mac Pro (2013) and a MacBook Pro (2017)

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 11:28 PM

FrMoses:

Today, Apple released a supplemental update to El Capitan Public Beta 1, which addressed instability and crashes with 32-bit applications, but unfortunately, the update did not fix the Logos issue.

Logos is 64 bit on Mac. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 82
Ed Stone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2015 6:23 AM

After discovering Logos wouldn't run on Capitan, I recovered by holding down command r while restarting and then chose the restore from time machine option. Although it took several hours, everything restored perfectly back to Yosemite and Logos is working once again. Other than the time it took, it was pretty easy and not a pain for me.  

Here are the instructions from Apple's beta unenroll page: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2015 11:40 AM

Thanks Ed! Smile

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2015 3:28 PM

I too have upgraded to El Capitan, and I'm now hosed. Thanks for all the suggestions, but can't I access my library online?  I notice there is https://app.logos.com, but it wants me to sign up for a subscription. It says the first month is free, but afterwards it's $8.99 per month. This might be a good alternative while waiting for either apple to fix their OS or Faithlife to fix Logos. If only I would have looked here before getting the beta. Hind sight is 20/20.Blessings in abundance,

Bruce

Apple MacBook Pro 16G macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 Beta
Logos Bible Software 8.3 - 8.3.0.0034
http://fcov.org (Faith Church of the Valley)

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2015 4:08 PM

Bruce Lundquist:
Thanks for all the suggestions, but can't I access my library online?  I notice there is https://app.logos.com, but it wants me to sign up for a subscription. It says the first month is free, but afterwards it's $8.99 per month.

You can't access ALL of your library, but you can access MOST of your library. The OLD site is free (www.biblia.com). The NEW site, which isn't there but is working towards a more L6 style online experience, requires a "Logos Now" subscription. Since the first month is free, you might want to try it... or wait until you need your passage guide since that isnt on biblia.

Posts 1
TylerV | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2015 9:12 PM

I have the same issue with the El Capitan beta. However until it is fixed I am able to use my iPad to supplement for the time being. I would encourage all of those on the beta to submit the bug report feedback to Apple so that they can fix whatever it was that "broke" Logos.

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2015 4:28 AM

TylerV:
I have the same issue with the El Capitan beta.

Sorry to hear that. Tongue Tied

TylerV:
I would encourage all of those on the beta to submit the bug report feedback to Apple so that they can fix whatever it was that "broke" Logos.

That is a good idea, but it might not be a "bug." It may be that Logos will need to adjust something to make their software compatible with the new version of OS X. 

Posts 302
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2015 10:14 AM

So this is probably a "stupidly obvious" question, but I assume you will have things working by the time El Capitan comes out?

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2015 11:38 AM

David Wanat:
I assume you will have things working by the time El Capitan comes out?

The standard response is something like "wait to update until you hear." As Apple keeps issuing beta releases, FL will work on compatibility, but some issues take longer to code than others. If you don't read a green light from one of the FL employees, you should proceed with caution.

Posts 92
Felipe Chamy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2015 8:46 PM

Another "stupid obvious question": will we find the fix in a new service release which we will need to download? 

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2015 9:19 PM

It could also come with a major update like v6.5. Watch the "...Service Release" or "...available for download" thread from Faithlife in the Logos 6 forum and check the Release Notes

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 6
Jason Hovde | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 7:29 AM

Hi, for all experiencing the crash when trying to open on El Cap public beta, please send a description of the problem to Apple through the feedback assistant. I just did, and I hope that if enough people report on this it may get fixed from Apple's end. I was beta testing Yosemite last summer and had no issues with Logos, so I am frustrated like many of you about it not working, but I do realize that was my risk I took with using a beta version, so figure by sending a crash report, at least I may help the beta process to improve the final product. For those of you like me that are freaking out a little by not having Logos on the big screen, may He grant you peace that passes understanding. IN the meantime, I will have to suffer for Jesus with the iPad app. 

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 8:08 AM

Jason Hovde:
N the meantime, I will have to suffer for Jesus with the iPad app.

You could also use biblia.com to read, or the web app in Logos Now. If you haven't taken a "test drive," now might be a good time. You can use the passage guide. Better than nothing! Tongue Tied

Posts 6
Jason Hovde | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 8:09 AM

Thanks, I will give it shot later today. 

Posts 2
Peter H. Davids | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 8:27 AM

Obviously one takes a chance when installing a beta of any type, including a public beta. iOS 9 on my iPad has not been a big problem in public beta, but El Capitan has crashed Logos. But Logos is not alone in this. Apple Mail also has its problems (like putting all incoming Apple mail in a spam folder). Furthermore, El Capitan public beta is heating up the computer more, for my fan is running much more than before. And some other programs do not work well. 

My concern with Logos is not that it is not working (I can run it on a Windows machine running on Parallels or on a separate Windows computer - I am not Logos-less), but that if the problem turns out to be a Logos problem rather than an Apple problem (or, to put it another way, Apple wants Logos and similarly affected app developers to shift to El Capitan's way of doing things rather than change El Capitan) and Logos develops a fix, I will need an email notification from Logos with a link to download the updated engine, since I cannot run Logos to get Logos to update itself.

For what it is worth for the developers, I attach my Logos log files. While you may need to wait to see if Apple changes first, I hope that your programming skills are sharpened by divine insight and the ideal solution jumps into your minds. (My son is a computer programmer and I know from him what a headache such problems can be.)

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 9:00 AM

Peter, I can't remember a time when Logo/Verbum was totally unprepared for a new release of OS - there may have been a last minute bug or two, but things worked. All the threads that in a way insist that Logos jump on beta testing with El Capitan now should be considered in light of this. It will work when OS X is updated, almost certainly before. Let's let Faithlife keep the priorities they have instead of wondering why they aren't pushing beta testing with Apple ahead of features, functions, and bug fixes that are in process and affect many more users. They have been managing and dealing with updates to OS for what, 20 years now - I think we can trust they have this figured out.

Beta software is what it is, you have no worries that it will be dealt with - their timeframe not ours.

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 10:13 AM

Just a quick note to Peter: the CPU intensity and fan blowout is normal for all of us, I checked into what was triggering it. All the contacts are re-syncing. In my case, I have five accounts but only one was set previously to sync contacts. When I updated to the Public Beta of El Capitan, the settings were changed and ALL the contacts were syncing. It took maybe 20 minutes to clear out, and now all is calm.

As for Logos 6 on El Capitan: another option for those that use virtual machines (parallels or fusion, etc) .. you could run another instance of Yosemite as a VM and point to your current Logos install on your main home folder (so as not to duplicate the entire library unnecessarily in the VM.) This would work, but just be a little slower.

PS - I'm secretly hoping that Logos 6 gets scratched and updated to become actually intuitive and properly responsive! It's like the best Bible app, and the worst.. oh well, make the best of the tools we have. =)

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS