Page 3 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 27776
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 10:36 AM

Peter H. Davids:
if the problem turns out to be a Logos problem rather than an Apple problem

Peter H. Davids:
I will need an email notification from Logos with a link to download the updated engine, since I cannot run Logos to get Logos to update itself.

Sorry you are having troubles. Tongue Tied You won't likely get an email notification from Logos, but you always have access to download the new engine. Instructions can be found in my signature line under "install." 

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4
Padre Dave | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 1:15 PM

Well, if there is any comfort in not being the only user here who just trusted that Logos was on top of the new OS X 10.11, then there is that.  In the meantime I guess I will go home where my Time Machine backups are stored and try to undo my El Capitan so I can get access to my Logos/Verbum.

I'm even trying to install Verbum on an old clunker MacBookPro with only 6GB of RAM, and you can imagine how that is going.

So, rather than playing with "trust not" thoughts, I shall just go forth and figure out how to get to use my $6,000 investment in Logos/Verbum.

Blessings from the evangelical catholic in the desert.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 1:38 PM

Padre Dave:
trusted that Logos was on top of the new OS X 10.11

It seems clear in the  Apple guidelines for OS X beta software, this is in no way Faithlife's issue or responsibility to deal with right now. Faithlife knows, report it to Apple, let's move on:

Posts 26850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 1:57 PM

Padre Dave:

Well, if there is any comfort in not being the only user here who just trusted that Logos was on top of the new OS X 10.11, then there is that.  ...

Blessings from the evangelical catholic in the desert.

from Macnn's web site last Thursday:

"Public beta begins despite long list of issues, problems

Apple has made available public betas for iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, according to reports. The new software, based on the issue-laden third developer beta released yesterday, is available to users previously registered with the company's Beta Software Program. While the company normally waits until there is a fairly stable developer beta existing before issuing the first public beta, today's releases are fraught with issues and missing functionality."

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 2:08 PM

55browning:

To be clear: I was not blaming apple

. . .

I did take issue with the notion that "Logos policy" was to not run in Beta OSX, which made no sense and (if true) seemed shady...since it is not,

Why aren't you blaming Apple - that appears to be whom Apple oriented-sites are blaming. Seriously, I think you misunderstood a point. I know of absolutely no company that supports their product in a beta environment - and I wrote my first program in 1965 and never completely left the field.  Logos participates in developers' betas and judges with a fair degree of accuracy where Logos needs to modify their code and where the flaw is in the beta software. When El Capitan goes live, Logos will provide support and ensure their Logos/Verbum/Noet software "plays nice" with it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 17
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 2:24 PM

Glad I stumbled on the warnings before installing.  I will be installing on a separate partition where I can install and test software without causing any serious issues.  Faithlife will iron out all the issues before the Public Release; I have faith!

Posts 233
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 5:15 PM

The same "blame game" is going on right now in the Apple Mac forums.  Users who have trashed their system by installing the El Capitan public beta on a production machine are casting blame on Apple.  It's very obvious and up front when you sign up for the Public Beta you're warned several times by Apple of the consequence of using the beta.  

I've been critical of Logos myself but only when something they have done (service release) breaks an item I depend on when using my copy of Logos 6.  But to their credit, they have always responded as quickly as they could to make repairs.

In Christ,

Charles 

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 27776
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 6:09 PM

MJ. Smith:
While the company normally waits until there is a fairly stable developer beta existing before issuing the first public beta

This is hilariously bad journalism. The FIRST EVER "public beta" was only last year. It's kind of hard to say that Apple "normally" does anything when something is brand new.

I think Apple is in a strong position, but this (Public Betas) is something that never would have happened under Jobs. 

Posts 38
Bryan O Clements | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2015 7:35 PM

First two rules of beta - Never install on a production box and always have a backup. I loaded El Capitan, it crashed my Logos. Created a boot drive on USB and restored from Time Machine. Not Logos' fault.

Know the risk but don't blame Logos for a problem with a beta.

Posts 2
Peter H. Davids | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 8:59 AM

I do not and will not blame anyone for the issue between Logos and Apple. A public beta is a risk, a risk I have taken a number of times, but still a risk. Generally El Capitan is working fine, but you put out a public beta because you think that the product is about ready for the big time, but want it tested on a number of systems. Some companies do more of this than others. Apple did have a beta program for Yosemite in which various updates were tested. At any rate, I knew that Apple was getting the crash reports, and I wanted to be sure that Logos had the log file, for not knowing what type of an issue it was, I did and do not know who needs to do the fix. Is it a general enough problem that Apple needs to make a change? Would a change in El Capitan fix this problem but mess up other software? Or does Logos need to make an El Capitan compatible version? My concern was in making sure that the data was available to both Apple and Logos and that whoever fixes what I am able to get Logos going again on my Mac. And if Apple does not think that it has a problem and Logos finds it must make an El Capitan compatible upgrade, then I also wanted to be sure I was able to get it, since without Logos running one would have to download it anew. I have my questions answered for now and hope I somehow get the news that the fix is done on one side or the other. If you like playing with computers, as I do, you take risks. I took this one and for one or two programs it did not work out well. Such is life. Maybe my crash reports will be part of making El Capitan better. 

Posts 4
Padre Dave | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 10:56 AM

Just a follow up to my post last night, I elected to wipe my hard drive and restore it using an image I stored on my Air Port Extreme from June, before installing 10.11 Beta.

I was pleasantly surprised that my Air Port Extreme backup gave me choices to restore images going back months ago and the option of installing an image that predates Yosemite.  Interesting and comforting.

My restore took all night, and I kept waking up to see if it was still restoring.  By this morning my hard drive was fully restored to June 26th and both Logos and Verbum work perfectly.

Oh, on another note, the Public Beta of iOS 9 works great and there are no issues with Logos/Verbum on my iPad Air or iPhone 6.  All is well on that front.

Bottom line:  BACK UP often!

God's richest blessings to all of you as we live and learn....

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 12:46 PM

Padre Dave:

Just a follow up to my post last night, I elected to wipe my hard drive and restore it using an image I stored on my Air Port Extreme from June, before installing 10.11 Beta.

I was pleasantly surprised that my Air Port Extreme backup gave me choices to restore images going back months ago and the option of installing an image that predates Yosemite.  Interesting and comforting.

My restore took all night, and I kept waking up to see if it was still restoring.  By this morning my hard drive was fully restored to June 26th and both Logos and Verbum work perfectly.

Oh, on another note, the Public Beta of iOS 9 works great and there are no issues with Logos/Verbum on my iPad Air or iPhone 6.  All is well on that front.

Bottom line:  BACK UP often!

God's richest blessings to all of you as we live and learn....

Can I simply restore without installing Yosemite or is this a double procedure?

Posts 16
Jimmy morales | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 7:32 AM

I took one of my computers back to Yosemite. It was not as simple as going back to an old Time Machine backup but it was not too much more difficult. I had to reformat the computer and then reinstall the Yosemite backup. It is a bummer that Logos does not play well with El Capitan beta. It is the only program that I am having trouble with in the beta. Unfortunately, I need Logos so often that I have no choice but to go back and wait for it to deal with the issue.

El Capitan does not seem to offer much over Yosemite anyway, so it isn't like we are missing a whole lot of incredible features or anything.

Posts 59
FrMoses | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 8:50 AM

Thank God, I was able to revert back to Yosemite, as well. It wasn't entirely painless. For some reason my backups were not 'system backups', i.e., they only had apps and user files, so I had to wipe the drive, install a fresh copy of Yosemite, and then restore all the apps and user files. When it was done, however, I was impressed by how well it restored everything. 

As for this thread, may I make a suggestion? Obviously, complaining about Faithlife's handling of this issue is fruitless, because its policy is clear. I would be happy to see more technical information from Faithlife or experienced users explaining why it's not working, whether it's a simple fix, how we can help, etc. 

I use Verbum with an 8-Core Mac Pro (2013) and a MacBook Pro (2017)

Posts 27776
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 8:56 AM

FrMoses:
I would be happy to see more technical information from Faithlife or experienced users explaining why it's not working

Faithlife generally doesnt take time to provide that info in the forums. The people "in the know" are hopefully working on a fix. Wink

FrMoses:
whether it's a simple fix

Bradley just mentioned that a FAITHLIFE fix will bring it to compatibility... so it is on FL's side (not their fault, just their side). I <hope> the fix will be simple enough so that beta testing can complete its course and be up and running by El Capitan release date.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 11:42 AM

Thank you Jimmy Morales and FrMoses! The information you provided was very helpful in deciding what to do next

Posts 16
Jimmy morales | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2015 7:59 PM

I just installed Logos 6.5 beta 3 on my El Capitan machine. Life is good again. Everything works perfectly so far. Thanks for getting that out Logos.

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2015 8:21 PM

I'd like to install this straightway! Would you pass along a direct link?

Posts 1589
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2015 8:30 PM

See this thread for links to the release notes and download: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113235.aspx 

Posts 27776
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2015 8:31 PM

Jacques:

I'd like to install this straightway! Would you pass along a direct link?

As always, you can find a link in the announcement thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113235.aspx 

Page 3 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS