Logos4Mac on Wife's Machine

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Dorsey McIntosh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:02 PM

When we went through Morris Procter's "Camp Logos" a few years ago in Budapest, he said that our Logos license allowed us to "legally" put our Libronix Silver Scholar on both of our laptops since we were in the same household. So, we've been doing this through the years.  

However, I was wondering if the same policy applies with Logos4Mac or even Logos 4 PC?  I've upgraded to a new Silver Scholars Logos 4 and am running in on my WinXP "side" via Parallels 5 plus I am running Logos4Mac, Alpha 12, on my Mac OS X side. 

So, I have two questions:

1. Can I "legally" install the same Logos 4 license on my wife's MacBook (on either the Mac OS X side or the WinXp side)?
  2. If I can install it, how does she have her own separate layout and not get all of my syncs?

Can anyone give me clarification on these two questions?

Thanks! 

Dorsey

Budapest 

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:38 PM

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Here is CEO Bob Pritchett's take on it: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:49 PM

Dorsey McIntosh:

2. If I can install it, how does she have her own separate layout and not get all of my syncs?

You can save as many layouts as you want, via the Layouts menu. Click on the little pencil icon beside the timestamp of current snapshot and you can name it whatever you want. You wife can have one and you can have one, and then you each just need to open your own layout when you start up Logos.

Now, all of the settings that apply globally to the application (under Tools | Program Settings) you will not be able to set independently for each of you. That would include such preferences as fonts, whether to show red letter for words of Christ or not, whether to download updates automatically or not, etc.

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:55 PM

I love sharing with my wife. We follow the same reading plan, so as we take notes, we can read what each of us are learning.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 6:39 PM

Appreciate Bob Pritchett's insights.

Since my wife and I have our own iMac computers and email accounts, we choose one library per user (different base packages).

Dreaming: wish Logos upgrade calculator offered family discounts for multiple library upgrades.

With many virtual machines and several physical laptops, personally fit "You're just one user, albeit with too many computers." description => professional computer geek, using legally licensed software to keep expanding boundaries of ignorance - much more information technology to learn and use than currently know.

Observation: for Microsoft stuff, Technet Direct Plus subscription worthwhile.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Without directly addressing the licensing issue, I thought I would point out that all of the following items (and then some) are synchronized between machines when using a single user account:

1. Documents - Reading Plans, Notes, Clippings, Syntax Searches, Word Find Puzzles, Clippings, Handouts, etc.
  2. Guide Templates
  3. Guide Notes
  4. Resource positions (i.e. if your wife has the ESV open to Proverbs 31, the next time you open the ESV without specifying a location, it will likely open to Proverbs 31)
  5. Program Settings (default resource font, default text size, use red letter, etc.)
  6. Favorites
  7. Bookmarks
  8. Search History
  9. Various assorted other things

So, sharing a Logos 4 license includes, implicitly, sharing those things.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS