Problem with indexing? (VERY SLOOOOOWWWW)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 13 2015 8:31 AM

Last week I installed Logos 6 on a new Win8.1 machine (Dell Venue Pro 11) with an Intel M @ 1.2GHz, 8MB RAM, and a 230GB SSD with a 128GB microSDXC UHS-1 (rated 48 MB/sec).

Between system files, Office 2013, etc., about 2/3 of the SSD was filled, so I installed Logos on the microSD drive. Why? Because I have Logos Gold plus quite a few other resources I've purchased, and it takes up 30GB on my desktop computer. My plan is simply to leave that microSD in their as an expansion drive.

Everything went fine on the installation. Logos starts up fine and seems to run fine.

BUT, indexing is an issue. It started indexing (as expected), but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I checked on this forum and saw that I should expect it to take some time. Since I feared I may have messed something up, I used the "rebuild index" command in Logos. It seemed to be slowly doing its job.

I have kept the tablet plugged in so it doesn't sleep or hibernate. I did not use this machine for anything else. 2.5 day = 60 hours later, and it was 80% complete. Is that typical?

I had to close down the machine, and I didn't want to lose that work, so I paused indexing. Now when I got back on the machine, it appears that indexing is starting all over.

I realize that the microSD isn't as fast as the SSD drive, but is that the problem? Do I just have to leave the machine running for 4 days or so?

Thanks for any insight.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 8:55 AM

Indexing on a micro sd is tough. Logos does not recommend installation on an sd card.  With that said, users have had success using method 2 on this wiki page https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 9:14 AM

Hi Mark, IMHO the 1.2GHz computer is too slow to be happy with. Logos 5 had a minimum of 1.4 GHz, the link to that is contained in this thread which complains about Logos not putting a system requirement for CPU out (which I don't believe they ever have for some reason):

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/100066/691625.aspx

That said, I can't believe the minimum would go down with Logos 6 vs. 5, so assume you will not be happy with a 1.2 GHz computer.

Second, a microSD at 48MB/sec (read?) has 10% of the throughput of current SSD's. My SSD is 500 MB/sec read rate, and has software to boost it further. This is typical of SSDs. Your microSD is less than half the rate of slower hard disks too.

You did not mention the graphics card, which can also have a big impact on Logos performance.

So I don't think the performance you are seeing is surprising, and other than using this computer for emergency use etc. I would not recommend it. As a comparison, I have a very fast laptop but it did a full index recently of 22,000 resources in 4 hours.

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 12:01 PM

Thank you Fred and Don.

It appears I didn't lose all the previous indexing work since it is now at 50% after 4-5 hours.

Don, yes, I'm wondering about the CPU... This is the nex Intel Core M 5Y71 listed at 1.2GHz but with with a "Turbo mode" of 2.9GHz. Once indexing is done, I'll see how satisfactory this works.

Oh, and it is integrated graphics which doesn't help either...

It's appearing to me that the microSD card is the primary issue here. I'll see how many GBs it takes when I'm done and think about moving things to the SSD using Fred's suggestion.

Thanks again.

Posts 26499
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2015 3:52 PM

Mark Hoffman:
It's appearing to me that the microSD card is the primary issue here. I'll see how many GBs it takes when I'm done and think about moving things to the SSD using Fred's suggestion.

Yes, the microSD card is the problem.

You have to uninstall Logos before using Method 2, but first rename the \Logos folder e.g. as oldLogos, as uninstalling will remove it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 11:57 AM

Thanks to all!

After 4.5 days, I was still at 76% indexing, and I gave up.

Using Method 2 advised by Fred (and after renaming the Logos directory as noted by Dave), I uninstalled Logos from the microSD, reinstalled on the SSD, copied over the specified directories, and ran the scan to update locations.

Indexing took about 2.5 hours.

I am also happy to report that Logos 6 functions sufficiently fast on this system. As noted above, it has the new Intel Core M 5Y71 at 1.2GHz (2.9GHz "turbo"), 8GB RAM, and a SSD, so those help a bit. Not quite as speedy as my desktop system, but it does not have an annoying lag to discourage me from using it.

Posts 26499
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 4:25 PM

Mark Hoffman:
Indexing took about 2.5 hours.

That was the discovery process which updates a lot of databases with resource details (if it decided to index the resources it would be much longer!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS