Excessive Memory Usage with Mac

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 15 2015 7:13 AM

I am  using Logos Bible Software 6.4 SR-3  6.4.0.0065

on a   MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7,  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 with   OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4 (14E46)

My problem is that when I load additional resources onto my desktop, they naturally add to the memory usage.  However when I close a resource, it does not change the memory usage.  Furthermore, if I leave Logos open for an extended time it continually expands the memory usage up to 40 or 50 gigabytes until it eventually freezes Logos and other Software too.  Then I get a notification that I have used up my application memory and I have to force quit.   I have not identified all of the resources I have loaded when that happens, because, I do keep a number of them open while doing extensive research.  Several Bibles, BDAG, HALOT, Note files, searches, history, favorites, Copy Bible Verses, Highlighting, commentaries.  etc.

OK, I just checked my Activity Monitor and while i was typing this message, I did absolutely nothing to Logos.  But I went from 360MB to 415MB and keeps on climbing. I only had History, Favorites, LEB linked to NIV, and copy Bible Verses open.

Thank you for any suggestions

Jac

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Posts 1048
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 8:22 AM

I have the same machine and versions of software, but I do not experience this issue. I probably don't use Logos in the same way, but often have many, many resources simultaneously open. 

Can you enable logging and post your logs?

Posts 10524
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 9:00 AM

William Gabriel:
Can you enable logging and post your logs?

Jac—See the link in my signature. The Logos Logging Utility will do all the heavy lifting for you.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 9:50 AM

I think part of the problem is Indexing... during this period of time Logos uses around 10 GB to do it's thing. This is temporary but even after you shut down the indexer will still work till it reaches 100%. Personally i find the amount of scratch disk Logos uses to create it's indexes a bit obscene but this is the way it's designed and after years of using the software I just realize I have to put up with it.

-Dan

Posts 4
Jonas Spurlock | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 6:50 PM

Hi Mr. Colon!  I'm a huge fan of your work in the Revelation Now series.  Thank you for your service in spreading the Gospel for Christ Jesus our Lord!  I was on here working on some issues and realized ...."that's Jac Colon!"  Anyways, I'm about a 4 year Adventee (i realize that is not a real word), and I have to tell you, those first couple of years prior to being Baptized into the church while studying out the Adventist truths, I spent many a morning starting my day with Revelation Now on 3ABN.  I hope things are going well for you!  Good luck with your Mac issues.  Unfortunately I am no help there.  God Bless!

Posts 17
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:27 PM

I have attached the Log file.  

It did grow over night and is over 1G but did not grow as much as it has previously.

Someone suggest it was an indexing problem.  Don't know.

Thanks for any input

Jac

Posts 17
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:29 PM

Jonas

Thank you for your kind words.  I praise God that He blesses you through our TV program.  Keep following the Lamb!!

Jac Colon

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS