Is There A Way To Display A Translation Next To The Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Keith Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 20 2015 9:10 AM

I have purchased both the Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database by Lexham and the Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition which is a "sectarian" category of the scrolls.

With the Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition there is a translation that "line up" with the Hebrew text and works like an interlinear.

With the Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database I can not figure out a way to get a translation to line up in the same way.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to get another resource?

Posts 2424
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 9:29 AM

I don't think this is what you are looking for since you want an interlinear, but you can open up one of the resources from the Qumran Biblical DSS database and a bible (ESV is what I tried) and link them.  Then whatever verse you type to go to, the other resource will open up to that passage.  However, if there is not a DSS text, nothing will happen. 

Posts 4
Keith Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 9:57 AM

Thanks. That's very helpful. The only question that I have is...is the ESV accurately translating the DSS or is it just showing me the verse because it is linked up to the DSS (which is a versified book as well). My guess is..it is not an accurate representation of what the DSS says. At least your suggestions gets me in the ballpark of what is being said.

Posts 2424
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 10:59 AM

You're correct.  The ESV isn't translating the DSS, although the translation team may have used the DSS along with other OT manuscripts.

"The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" does translate the DSS texts.  I have a copy in print and in Logos as well.

https://www.logos.com/product/8933/dead-sea-scrolls-bible 

Posts 4
Keith Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 12:53 PM

That could be a winner! Thanks or the lead!

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 2:16 PM

Keith Smith:
Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition which is a "sectarian" category of the scrolls.

The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible that Ron linked is going to be the perfect companion to the Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database.

If you are interested in an even more exhaustive treatment of the Sectarian Dead Sea Scrolls than what the study edition offers, make sure to check out the Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts Database as well https://www.logos.com/product/4242/qumran-sectarian-manuscripts. The great thing about this database is that it links directly to your Bible Word Study guide for Hebrew words and also will link up to the study edition to provide english translations. 

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 4
Keith Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 5:58 AM

Thanks. I have the Sectarian Manuscripts Database. It is a great collection. I needed a translation for the Biblical Manuscripts...and the Dead Sea Scrolls Study Bible is an excellent solution to translate those documents. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS