How to determine how a resource is indexed.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 25 2015 9:09 AM

When considering books to ad to my collection, is there a way to tell if the book is indexed via Bible reference?

For me what makes a Logos book worth more than the same book on my Kindle app is if it is searchable by reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Respectfully,

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 9:17 AM

Yes.

Click on the  icon located in the upper right of any resource pane. (Resource information) Scroll down to indexes. Any and all index types will be listed.

Or...Type in a chapter and verse. If it navigates to the passage, You know it's versified.

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply Paul. Am I correct, that the way you are describing is for books already in my library?

I am trying to find this information before I purchase the book.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 11:05 AM

Yes 

Sorry I misunderstood. The word "collection" threw me off. I thought you were arranging your library into collections.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 12:58 PM

Shannon Martin:

When considering books to ad to my collection, is there a way to tell if the book is indexed via Bible reference?

For me what makes a Logos book worth more than the same book on my Kindle app is if it is searchable by reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Respectfully,

You may be confusing two issues:

1. All books are searchable by reference
  2. Book that have a scripture index are books that are basically in scriptural order and can be linked to automatically scroll with Bibles etc. and you can enter a reference rather than a page number to navigate.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 2:47 PM

Shannon Martin:

The answer is no.

Been through this not that long ago. You can read the thread here- https://community.logos.com/forums/t/106875.aspx

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 4:04 PM

I may be incorrect but while Doc is correct re: other indexing such as topics, I've never seen a book that met the criteria for a scripture index i.e. basically in canonical order with reasonable coverage that did not have a scriptural index (or was quickly amended to have one).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 7:40 PM

MJ, I interpreted the OP's question to be exactly the same question I asked in the thread I cited. I got a call back from customer service verifying that 'no' is the answer to that particular question. If that isn't what the OP meant, then I don't understand the question (not the first time that's ever happened).

FWIW, the particular resource about which I was wondering in my original thread was a versified commentary over a section of scripture, but it was indexed only by page. Now, being old and all, I don't remember what the resource was or I'd link it for you and you would then have seen such a book.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I think Doc is understanding my question. The other thread you linked was pretty clear.

Take the book "Brothers, We Are Not Professionals" By John Piper. The book has many scripture references in it. If I were studying a passage it would be most handy if the places where Mr. Piper uses the verse I am studying would show up in one of the guides.

(I am just using that book as an example, I already own it in paperback)

If not it may make as much sense to buy the paper or Kindle version. What makes a Logos book most valuable is its indexing.

In any event, Logos is a blessing that makes my Bible study far richer.

Thanks again for the replies.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:27 PM

Shannon, I think you still misunderstand. A book like Piper's will show up in the Collection Section of a Passage Guide if you include it. If it were indexed by scripture it would show up in the Commentaries section. Scripture references are always indexed for searches which is what the Passage Guide does in the Collection Section. The post to which Doc refers is about topics - topics behave very differently than scripture references because they are not in the text but are analyzed and added by Logos.

His question relates to Headword indexes. Your question is about scripture references which behave very differently and about search capabilities which do not require a scripture index. His thread relates to what you can enter in the reference box ... you are not asking to enter Gen 2:4 and have Piper open to Gen 2.4 .... you are asking is the reference Gen 2.4 anywhere in Piper's book which a Search or the Passage Guide will find.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:33 PM

Doc B:

MJ, I interpreted the OP's question to be exactly the same question I asked in the thread I cited. I got a call back from customer service verifying that 'no' is the answer to that particular question. If that isn't what the OP meant, then I don't understand the question (not the first time that's ever happened).

FWIW, the particular resource about which I was wondering in my original thread was a versified commentary over a section of scripture, but it was indexed only by page. Now, being old and all, I don't remember what the resource was or I'd link it for you and you would then have seen such a book.

Doc, I interpreted the OP to ask if a Search (or Passage Guide Collection section) would find and report the reference. The thread to which you point asks about Headwords which have very different behavior than scripture references. Without the title of the resource involved in your original thread, I can't speak regarding it's particular indexing.

This thread is confusing two separate functions because of similar terminology:

1. Does the resource have an index on X? This asks if I can put X in the reference box of the resource and have it position to a particular place in the book. That is what you asked on your thread - with regards to headwords on whatever resource you were referencing, the answer was no.
  2. Does the index used for searching include X for this resource? This asks if a search or Collection section will find occurrences of X in this resource. This is what this thread is asking about - with regards to scripture references the answer is always yes.

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 1:44 PM

MJ, I'm sure you are completely correct in all the details, but you are still over-thinking this.

The simple question that Shannon and I both asked (for slightly different reasons) was, "Can I look at a product page on Logos.com and tell how it is indexed?"

The simple answer is "no".

This is something FL needs to address.

Posts 29102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:42 PM

I read the OP as asking specifically about Bible references but you are correct that I am sometimes over-precise.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS