Transferring Logos to another drive or just relocating index files?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 25 2015 12:06 PM

A few years ago, I installed Logos 4 with laters updates to 5 > 6 on a SSD drive. Works great!

BUT... I'm running out of room on that SSD drive (and I'll want to put Win10 on that drive, so I need more room), and Logos is using over 32GB of the 226GB total on that drive. I have a rather fast 2TB SCSI drive in the computer as well, so I'm trying to figure out how to move everything to that drive without un/installing.

Even just moving the index files would free up a lot of space, but I can't find anywhere in the program settings which will let me change the path.

Any good ideas? Thanks!

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 12:25 PM

I believe there was a way (and an article) stating how to do this through some kind of redirection. I chose not to do it that way, and used method 2 of this https://wiki.logos.com/quick_installation_onto_multiple_computers . It worked well for me, and I suspect will work well for you as well. I used a portable USB hard drive to copy everything in my Logos folder. It took a little time, but no where near the 1 or 2 days it would have to to do a completely new install.

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 12:53 PM

Thanks, Erwin! Yes, I saw that article (because I recently did use it to install Logos 6 on a new computer), but I'm just trying to move to another drive on the same computer. Actually, I'd be happy just to move the index files.

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 1:34 PM

Mark Hoffman:

Thanks, Erwin! Yes, I saw that article (because I recently did use it to install Logos 6 on a new computer), but I'm just trying to move to another drive on the same computer. Actually, I'd be happy just to move the index files.

Hi Mark; When my C drive was running out of space, I used the same method to install on my data drive. What I did was to make a complete backup of my Logos that was on my C drive (including the installation files) using an external USB drive. I then uninstalled Logos using Windows and removed any remaining files (including the original directory). I reinstalled Logos to my data drive using my installation files from the directory that I copied, then used the remaining instructions of Method 2. I was taking a chance in some ways and some was experimental, but of course I had a complete backup in several places and also another functional Logos on another machine. Smile

Moving the index files is interesting. I may experiment with that in the future when I feel up to it.

For now, let's wait for the more experienced to chime in on moving just the index files. I'm interested in this also. Smile

Posts 24536
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 3:06 PM

The article at https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive shows you how to move Logos to another drive

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 3:10 PM

Excellent! Thanks, Graham. I had not found that one.

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 7:51 PM

Graham Criddle:

The article at https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive shows you how to move Logos to another drive

Thanks Graham. That's the article I was thinking of when I mentioned redirection. I couldn't remember the article name. Smile Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 10:02 PM

Mark Hoffman:
... Logos is using over 32GB of the 226GB total on that drive. I have a rather fast 2TB SCSI drive in the computer as well, so I'm trying to figure out how to move everything to that drive without un/installing.

May want to use a storage benchmark to compare SSD and SCSI drive.  Personally would place Logos on the faster drive because Logos is a resource intensive application that benefits from faster storage.

Curious about amount of RAM in computer ? perhaps page file size could be changed.  On a laptop with 16 GB of Ram, have set page file to 0.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26528
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 2:11 AM

Mark Hoffman:

The index files would be better on the SSD because indexing is a very CPU and disk intensive activity, and you would be moving/re-directing 3 index folders. So I would move the Resources folder as it is the largest part of the installation (13 GB / 18 GB in my case). Also, you don't have to worry about file fragmentation with the indexes on the SSD. With indexes on the hard drive frequent defragging is essential for good performance.

My preference (ignoring performance) is to have the whole installation in one location, and I've used both re-direction and re-installation using Method 2** with great success. Re-directing the Logos folder would be quicker than Method 2, though, and you can just as quickly move it back to the SSD after installing Win 10!

** just rename the Logos folder on the SSD before uninstalling and you have your backup.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS