Back to School Sale Advice

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 2 2015 2:31 PM

I'm considering updating my NICOT/NICNT commentary set with the Back to School Sale.- https://www.logos.com/product/52382/new-international-commentary-on-the-old-and-new-testament#047

I have 47 volumes but, as far as I understand, two volumes I have are not part of this set now - Philippians and Ephesians - (1955) and Ephesian and Colossians (1957).

My dynamic price is $59.08 for the following two volumes -

1. Psalms - 2014 - The Book of Psalms
  2. Revised 1 Corinthians - 2014 (This is revised from the 1987 version) - The First Epistle to the Corinthians, Revised Edition

Just wondering what people think of these two volumes. Does anyone have any experience with these two new volumes? Are they worth $59?

Edit: One more thing I should add - I really wish they had a "new to me" option on the website for this as it was difficult to determine but that is a whole different discussion. Perhaps some day.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 2:58 PM

I have both Fee volumes, and I haven't found significant difference between them. The new volume uses the updated NIV, but  has been lightly edited that I can see. If you turn to a random page, you're unlikely to spot any significant differences. If you don't have the first edition, then get the second. If you do have the first edition, I'm not sure the second adds much.

The Psalms volume is a different question, of course. I'm not really qualified to know whether it's a great commentary or not. If your library is like mine, you won't have many technical commentaries on the Psalms. IMO the NICNT volume is more helpful than both the WBC and Hermeneia volumes, and certainly than the AYBC volume (which was a terrible disappointment). It's probably pipped by Goldingay's BCOT volumes, however. But when I next preach on the Psalms, I'll certainly be using it.

Posts 161
Reimar Vetne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 3:03 PM

According to my wife Christine Vetne (who did her doctoral dissertation on the Psalter) the NICOT volume on the Psalms is well worth having. Nancy DeClaissé-Walford is one of the leading "shape" scholars today, i.e. the recent trend of looking at the overall shape and structure of the Psalter. So this commentary will discuss how each psalm gets an added meaning when read in the literary context of the psalms that come before and after it. It is one of the more detailed and longer commentaries on the Psalms around, and since it just came out in print last year it is updated on a lot of scholarship.

Gordon Fee is usually well worth consulting, and the NICOT update on Corinthians seems to continue his high standard - but I have only perused the commentary, not really read it.

So go and get both volumes. Smile

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 4:55 PM

Thanks for your responses Mark and Reimar. They are very helpful. I should clarify that I do have Fee's 1987 volume of 1 Corinthians so that is what is making this decision harder. I'm also quite interested in having a good technical volume of Psalms.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 5:48 PM

My sale advice...lower the prices or offer books a student can afford please.

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 6:12 PM

I am a big fan of Gordon Fee (had him for a professor once) so when his revised commentary on I Corinthians came out I got it right away. I do agree with Mark though that other than using the updated NIV it doesn't seem that much different from the original. I have not read thru all of it but that is my opinion so far.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 7:34 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I'm considering updating my NICOT/NICNT commentary set with the Back to School Sale.- https://www.logos.com/product/52382/new-international-commentary-on-the-old-and-new-testament#047

Edit: One more thing I should add - I really wish they had a "new to me" option on the website for this as it was difficult to determine but that is a whole different discussion. Perhaps some day.

Ditto

Posts 194
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 7:55 PM

Lee:

Bruce Dunning:

Ditto

Me three.  Took me awhile to figure out which 3 volume I was missing.  I don't have Psalms, Judges, or the revised Corinthians volumes.

What's everyone's thought on the volume on Judges.  My dynamic pricing for these 3 volumes is $84.  That seems fairly reasonable for NICOT/NICNT volumes, but doesn't hurt to ask for some opinions.

And if it makes any difference, I'm just an average person that's serious about my Bible study. 

Posts 119
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 2 2015 10:04 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I have 47 volumes but, as far as I understand, two volumes I have are not part of this set now - Philippians and Ephesians - (1955) and Ephesian and Colossians (1957).

I am so glad that F. F. Bruce replaced the E. K. Simpson's volume on Colossians.  If you have read that older Colossians volume, you know what I mean. Bruce's three-in-one Ephesians, Colossians, and Philemon is one of my longstanding favorites now.

I am looking forward to picking up the recently released Psalms commentary in this series. I have only heard good things about it.

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 5:55 PM

Well, thanks everyone. After pondering thing more I decided to go for it even though the discount was significantly impacted by the higher American dollar over the increasingly weak Canadian dollar.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS