PLEASE HELP ME ;I WANT TO STUDY THE WORD OF GOD INDUCTIVELY:

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3206
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:11 AM

i have decided with the grace of God to study the whole book of Romans first for me,then to let the truth be conducted to others.Right now I have started to study 1:1-7.I am marking the key words namely the repeated Words,but I want to be sure of the pronouns wether they represent to Jesus,God ,or the Godpe.is there any means which enables me to identfy the pronouns?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3206
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:14 AM

Tes:

i have decided with the grace of God to study the whole book of Romans first for me,then to let the truth be conducted to others.Right now I have started to study 1:1-7.I am marking the key words namely the repeated Words,but I want to be sure of the pronouns wether they represent to Jesus,God ,or the Godpe.is there any means which enables me to identfy the pronouns?

I have tried to copy the text marked to word ,but the colour was not there ,is it so?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:30 AM

Tes:

I have tried to copy the text marked to word ,but the colour was not there ,is it so?

I'm assuming this means you have discovered the visual filters. In case you haven't set up a visual filter like the picture below to highlight all pronouns. Then you can go one by one and determine who they are pointing to. Funny thing is, I just set something very similar up yesterday as I started going through Romans. To start a visual filter go to File>Visual Filter.

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:44 AM

Tes:
but I want to be sure of the pronouns wether they represent to Jesus,God ,or the Godpe.is there any means which enables me to identfy the pronouns?

Tes,

Identifying what or who a pronoun refers to (the antecedent) is sometimes easy and sometimes very tricky. The main rule (but there are exceptions!) is that a pronoun refers to its closest antecedent. So Romans 1:1-2 (NASB) says, "Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, 1acalled as an apostle, bset apart for cthe gospel of God, 2 which He apromised beforehand through His bprophets in the holy Scriptures." "Which" in vs. 2 points back to "gospel of God." It is the closest noun to the pronoun (the translation also helps because "which" in English means a thing, not a person). This simple rule should help a lot.

Since you are studying inductively (which is awesome! Praise God!). Do your best. What noun is closest? What makes the most sense in the context of the passage? Eventually, even when doing inductive Bible study, you'll want to check your observations and answer your questions using a good commentary(ies). After studying and wrestling with these questions, you will hopefully find godly authors who can help you answer questions you can't answer yourself (such as tricky pronouns). We should be so thankful that we have access to such a wealth of wonderful resrouces to study God's Word with!

Posts 3206
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:57 AM

Thank you Philip, I did as you have mentioned it ,but the problem is in identfying.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3206
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 12:18 PM

David B Phillips:
We should be so thankful that we have access to such a wealth of wonderful resrouces to study God's Word with!
Ä

Yes, you are right ,I can't express it ,the Joy to have such Resources.You know I was using other bible study software.PC study bible and quicvers, but since I have discovered and owned this ,just I can say  1 Kings 10:5 .even they were helpful ,but the Logos software is just the best one.If I have money the first step ,I have to make woule be to enlarge the content of my Library.

OK let'me come to the point ,you have given a very helpful method or way.to use commentary is good ,it has its place ,but I want to be able to identfy them ,in any other way ,I have the Patinum.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:56 PM

Hi Tes,

I would suggest this.  Start by asking the Holy Spirit to be your Teacher.  He will. 

Next, Romans was written as one piece of literature.  So start with the whole.  Don't worry at all (for now) about the pronouns you can't identify.  God reveals truth progressively.  And the main clear things will explain the not so main, not so clear things in God's Own timing.

Go through the whole book marking just one word - first God, the Father.  Don't mark anything else at all, just the Father.  Go through the whole book that way.  Along the way you will notice other words that you will want to mark eventually. 

Once you have gone through the whole book of Romans marking God, the Father, to the best of your ability (and continually asking God what He wrote) then go through once again, looking only for God, the Son, Jesus.  Again, don't worry about, and don't mark, what you are not sure about.  Leave that to God, for now. 

Then go through the third time looking for and marking God, the Holy Spirit.  I believe if you do this you will find some of your pronouns become manifest on their own. 

Although the nearest antecedent is a helpful principle, it does not always reveal the correct noun.  Context, in the end, will always be the thing that will help you most. And very important, don't mark what you don't know.  Let it be.  Once you mark it, it will seem "correct" to you and you will take the chance of believing error and then teaching error.  It is okay to leave things unmarked indefinitely.  Focus on what you know for certain.

These first three main words are only the beginning to studying any book inductively, but fully observing the text is absolutely a joy!

Some of the things you will want to mark will be time phrases, places, people, contrasts, comparisons, terms of conclusions, and the many key words and phrases you find along the way - faith, righteousness, may it never be, etc.  You will want to read through Romans as a whole for each any every thing you mark.  Never try to mark two words at once - you will always learn more to do each step independently of the others.

I would be happy to talk about successive steps, but I'm sure you already more than know how to study inductively.  The process of studying inductively is all too often sped up to the great loss of the studier.  We live in a fast food McDonald's world, but when it comes to the bread of life - we need to slow down and learn how to butcher the cow for ourselves.  The results are a delightful feast!

If I can help in any way, please let me know.  It is such a blessing to hear that you are studying inductively!

And I will pray that God will open your eyes to behold wonderful things from His Word!  He will!

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 3206
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:53 AM

Sharon:
I would suggest this.  Start by asking the Holy Spirit to be your Teacher.  He will.
Sharon:
We live in a fast food McDonald's world, but when it comes to the bread of life - we need to slow down and learn how to butcher the cow for ourselves.  The results are a delightful feast!

Sharon:

If I can help in any way, please let me know.  It is such a blessing to hear that you are studying inductively!

And I will pray that God will open your eyes to behold wonderful things from His Word!  He will!

Thank you Sharon,Absolutly you are right.! Iet me sind you my e-mail address:

God bless you brother!

gtesfai ATweb DOT DE

Blessings in Christ.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS