New Feature: Addressees in Reported Speech (Dataset)

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:57 AM

Graham Criddle:
This is because the speech in verses 3-6 is tagged with God, Moses and Aaron all speaking. I think this is a tagging mistake and it should just be tagged as God speaking.

And the same seems to be true in most of Leviticus 11 as well

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:58 AM

Sascha John:

thanks. Graham Close I like to see every Vers where Aaron talk to Mose

With the exception of the tagging issues discussed here doesn't the search string as suggested give you this?

What is it missing?

Posts 22
LogosEmployee
Jimmy Parks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 9:16 AM

This was not tagged by mistake. This is a case of an embedded speech. God is speaking to Moses and Aaron starting in 12:1-20, but in 12:3 God tells Moses and Aaron that they are to speak to the congregation of Israel. The mistake was stopping the speech of Moses and Aaron at 12:6. It continues all the way through 12:20. So, the speech event where Moses and Aaron are the agents/speakers is couched within the speech event where God is the agent/speaker.

The linguistic features that present 12:3 as an embedded speech are two fold. First, God issues a command to Moses and Aaron that they are to speak. Second, what follows the command to speak is the content introduced by לֵאמֹ֔ר. This infinitive construct introduces reported speech in Hebrew. It is an edge case though. The person of the verbs within the embedded speech does not switch to second person (you) immediately, which is a prototypical indicator of reported speech. It is add to see a reported speech with third person verb forms (they). However, it does switch to second person further down in 12:9. 

I hope that is helpful as an explanation of our tagging. 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS