Seeking Recommendation for Resource Explaining How Original Manuscripts were Accurately Copied

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 12 2015 2:50 PM

To strengthen my own belief and as an aid in witnessing to skeptics, I'm looking for a book in Logos which is dedicated entirely to explaining how the original inspired manuscripts were accurately copied, then canonized, and eventually translated into English.  I'm especially interested in learning more about the steps that were taken to ensure the text of the original manuscripts was accurately transmitted to the earliest copies and subsequent efforts taken to ensure the text within the earliest copies was transmitted accurately to later copies.  Could anyone please recommend a book in logos which would meet this description?

I am aware of one book titled, "From God to Us: How We Got Our Bible" by Norman Geisler and William Nix, which based on its description, table of contents, and respected authors, appears to be exactly what I am needing; however, unfortunately I don't think it is available in Logos.  (It's a Moody Publishers item)  With that said, if someone strongly recommends this book as the best resource for my specific need, I may have to go ahead and purchase the hard copy. 

Thank you  

Posts 30112
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 3:07 PM

I would suggest something like The Rise and Fall of the Bible by Timothy Beal as a prelude to any books suggestions that meet your criteria..

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 3:10 PM

Thanks a lot MJ!  I will check this one out.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:11 PM

Geisler and Nix used to have their A General Introduction to the Bible available for Logos, but I am not seeing it now. It has information on it that would match what you are looking for, but seems to be missing in action...

Posts 30112
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:17 PM

The Text of the New Testament: From Manuscript to Modern Edition by J. Harold Greenlee covers how the manuscripts were copied and how little variation there is between manuscripts.

The Making of the New Testament: Origin, Collection, Text & Canon by Arthur G. Patzia has the development of the canon as well as something about copying etc. ....

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1073
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:37 PM

I have not read his books, but Daniel Wallace is an excellent scholar in that field and I've enjoyed his lectures. 

This book of his looks fitting: https://www.logos.com/product/47205/revisiting-the-corruption-of-the-new-testament

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:56 PM

Thanks Matthew

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 4:59 PM

MJ. Smith wrote the following post at Today 4:17 PM:

The Text of the New Testament: From Manuscript to Modern Edition by J. Harold Greenlee covers how the manuscripts were copied and how little variation there is between manuscripts.

The Making of the New Testament: Origin, Collection, Text & Canon by Arthur G. Patzia has the development of the canon as well as something about copying etc. ....  

These resources look very helpful MJ.  Thanks!

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 5:02 PM

I have not read his books, but Daniel Wallace is an excellent scholar in that field and I've enjoyed his lectures. 

This book of his looks fitting: https://www.logos.com/product/47205/revisiting-the-corruption-of-the-new-testament

I agree William.  This one looks helpful. 

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 6:09 PM

This is found in Logos:  

Nestle, Eberhard. Introduction to the Textual Criticism of the Greek New Testament. Edited by Allan Menzies. Translated by William Edie. London; New York; Edinburgh; Oxford: Williams and Norgate, 1901.

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 6:17 PM

Thanks Anon

Posts 33
Dave Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 10:02 PM

You might also consider F.F. Bruce's book "The Canon of Scripture".

https://www.logos.com/product/2979/the-canon-of-scripture

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 12 2015 10:48 PM

Thanks Dave.  I'll consider this one as well.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:28 AM

The very best book for this purpose (in my opinion) is Paul Wegners The Journey from Text to Translation, but unfortunately it's not in Logos  it's academically sound, superbly illustrated, well written, and easy to follow. It covers everything you're looking for and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Journey-Texts-Translations-Development/dp/0801027993 

Wegner has also written "A students guide to textual criticism" which is in Logos, but that's probably a little too technical for your needs and doesn't cover Englis translations.

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:06 AM

Mark Barnes:

The very best book for this purpose (in my opinion) is Paul Wegners The Journey from Text to Translation, but unfortunately it's not in Logos  it's academically sound, superbly illustrated, well written, and easy to follow. It covers everything you're looking for and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

Thanks a lot Mark!  I just finished reading all the reviews and table of contents for Wegner's book and it's impressive.  It seems to utilize a lot more photos and illustrations than other similar resources which of course would help in visualizing what is being described.  All the recommendations I've received in this thread have been good, but I agree this book might meet my needs the best. 

Are you familiar with "How We Got the Bible" by Neil Lightfoot?  It's available in Logos.  https://www.logos.com/product/43264/how-we-got-the-bible  The table of contents seems to cover nearly the same thing as Wegner's book, but in a more concise manner since it's nearly half the size.  I'm wondering if it might be a good strategy to read Lightfoot's first as an overview and then read Wegner's for a deeper dive into the same topics.    

Posts 2401
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:11 AM

I second "How We Got the Bible" by Lightfoot.  I have read this several times.  I didn't know it was available in Logos - somehow I missed it's release.

Posts 1355
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:48 AM

I'll second Mark's recommendation of Wegner.

MJ's recommendations are good too. Note Greenlee's is an excellent and concise basic introduction to this material. If I was teaching a "how we got the NT" class in the context of a local church with laypeople attending, I'd use Greenlee as the text. That's the level it is written to.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 5:06 PM

Ronald Quick:

I second "How We Got the Bible" by Lightfoot.  I have read this several times.  I didn't know it was available in Logos - somehow I missed it's release.

Thanks Ronald.  Your positive review helps.  I received the tip to look for that resource from John Fallahee at LearnLogos.com who always gives great training and advice. 

Posts 9395
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 5:08 PM

Mark Barnes:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Journey-Texts-Translations-Development/dp/0801027993 

This is a Baker Academic title. I wonder why it is not in Logos?

Mark, have you ever make the suggestion that FL publish this? If not, I think it is a good idea.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 152
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 5:51 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

I'll second Mark's recommendation of Wegner.

MJ's recommendations are good too. Note Greenlee's is an excellent and concise basic introduction to this material. If I was teaching a "how we got the NT" class in the context of a local church with laypeople attending, I'd use Greenlee as the text. That's the level it is written to.

Thanks Rick.  Wow!  I didn't expect to get a reply from one of the Faithlife folks!  I was already leaning heavily toward getting Wegner's book but your additional recommendation convinces me it's a must have hard copy purchase (since unfortunately it's not currently available in Logos). 

I strongly considered MJ's great recommendations as well, but I thought I would first get Lightfoot's concise resource in Logos since it covers both OT and NT.  I may still end up getting the Greenlee resource at a later date.

This is awesome.  I've gone from having hardly any options to having so many I have to prioritize my purchases. Smile

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS