LEXICONS: What order of priority do you arrange lexicons in Logos and why?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:11 PM

LEXICONS: What order of priority do you arrange lexicons in Logos and why? (Justify your order).

Thanks

P A

Posts 938
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:23 PM

For me it has to do with the info panel which I like a lot. I have BDAG at the top for greek and I have CHALOT at the top for hebrew. The reason is that HALOT is a bit too detailed for the info panel. I also have CHALOT and HALOT grouped so that I can click the link in the info panel and then click the HALOT tab for further reading. I'm not a big fan of the theological lexicons but I have referred to them from time to time. I'm much more in favour of the word study tool which makes them easy to access.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 13114
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:52 PM

Greek:

• BDAG - the most comprehensive and authoritative
  • LSJ - handles words outside the NT, so I want it second to pick up words BDAG misses
  • Louw-Nida - The structure is different to most lexicons, so can give a different perspective.
  • TLNT - the best in-depth theological lexicon IMO
  • Lexham Theological Workbook - I think this is really useful, as it's both brief and theological
  • TDNT - To pick up words not in TLNT or LTW

The logic is that there are three types of lexicons here. In positions (1) and (2) are standard academic lexicons. In (3) is a lexicon organised by sematic field, and in (4) to (6) are theological lexicons. That means I can get to any type of lexicon from the context menu in a couple of clicks.

Hebrew:

• HALOT - the most comprehensive, although can sometimes be confusing
  • DBL Hebrew - much simpler than HALOT, so I use this if I'm in a hurry
  • NIDOTTE - the best theological lexicon (until TDOT comes out)
  • Lexham Theological Workbook - quicker than NIDOTTE
Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 3:58 PM

I really like your list Mark and slightly changed my prioritizing as a result.

Mark Barnes:

• Lexham Theological Workbook

By the way, I think you may have a typo here - Is should be "Wordbook" not "Workbook"

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 5:53 PM

Bruce Dunning:
should be "Wordbook" not "Workbook"

Interesting that he typed it that way in both places on the list. (muscle memory?)

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 13114
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 12:39 AM

James Taylor:

Bruce Dunning:
should be "Wordbook" not "Workbook"

Interesting that he typed it that way in both places on the list. (muscle memory?)

Not muscle memory- auto correct!

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 6:19 AM

Mark Barnes:
Not muscle memory- auto correct!

Auto correct can be such a pain at times. Stick out tongue

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 8:18 AM

Mark Barnes:
auto correct!

ah...it strikes again. It leafs its prince in the strain gist plays is 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS