Bookmarks... Can't Believe Anyone Should Need to Suggest This...

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:22 PM

I would like the functionality to add bookmarks to books! I can't believe there isn't just something to click on the top-right hand corner of the logos app for iPhone and iPad to add a bookmark. Sometimes, when I'm studying, I just want to see all the bookmarks I've made. I imagine this would be a simple addition.

I know some of you might suggest I use favorites/notes, but let me just say that they are considerably more unwieldy than what would be created by a bookmark paradigm. It can function similarly, but with unlimited bookmarks, a one tap-to-add solution, and searchable data to return to the information you want to remember later easily.

💻15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) | 2.6 GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD💻
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:45 PM

See https://wiki.logos.com/Bookmarks

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:48 PM

MJ. Smith:

See https://wiki.logos.com/Bookmarks

Not the same. Not syncable to mobile. Not unlimited.  Did you even read my post? I specifically stated my reasons for why favorites are an insufficient solution for what bookmarks would accomplish.

🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:36 PM

Yes, I read your post. I've also read your reaction. Did you read the wiki page to understand that Favorites and Bookmarks although related are not identical? I am of the opinion that while it is always appropriate to ask for improvements, it is also important to make the best of what Logos provides to achieve a function.  There are so many users with differing interests and priorities that waiting for Logos to implement your particular priorities may be a protracted effort. Surviving that period with minimal frustration is critical.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3593
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 12:46 AM

I agree that bookmarks need to be improved and I have asked for this in the past. Good that you bring it up Andrew, perhaps it will get some attention.

Posts 3623
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 12:52 AM

Francis:

I agree that bookmarks need to be improved and I have asked for this in the past. Good that you bring it up Andrew, perhaps it will get some attention.

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 701
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 7:42 AM

I use Layouts to get the effect of bookmarks on steroids. You can have as many as you want, named anything you want.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 7:55 AM

I wish that would work for what I want, but layouts do not sync with mobile. Essentially, a bookmark feature would ONLY be useful if it (1) syncs with mobile, (2) is searchable, and (3) is unlimited in the amount you can have. 

🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 1485
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 8:34 AM

Andrew Zoll:
unlimited bookmarks, a one tap-to-add solution, and searchable data to return to the information you want to remember later easily.

I use Favorites in lieu of Bookmarks. I do so because:

1) Favorites are unlimited, Bookmarks are limited to 10.

2) It's an easy swipe up, one tap-to-add solution on my iPhone/iPad (or Cmd/Ctrl-D on the Desktop Logos)

3) I can move them around and organize them the way I want.

I do, however, wish we could have a search bar for the Favorites list.

Posts 2761
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 8:49 AM

Jack Hairston:

I use Layouts to get the effect of bookmarks on steroids. You can have as many as you want, named anything you want.

I too use Layouts in place of functional bookmarks, but the inability to add folders/levels to Layouts means these can only be temporary...I have to delete them or the Layouts dropdown becomes too unwieldy.

I do use the Bookmarks available in Logos, but having a limit of 10 seems like a limitation from software 30 years ago.

Using Favorites might work if I sat down long enough to come up with an organizational system. I don't want that pane to become clogged up either.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2761
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 8:51 AM

Andrew Zoll:
(2) is searchable

What do you mean by this, Andrew? I'm curious.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:17 AM

Doc B:

Andrew Zoll:
(2) is searchable

What do you mean by this, Andrew? I'm curious.

What I mean is that just like we can search/filter resources in Logos, there needs to be the ability to search bookmarks. Some of the metadata that should be searchable/filterable is: resource title, author, resource type, and words on the page you've bookmarked. This ability needs to translate to the apps as well in order that the bookmarks don't become bloated, overwhelming, and unwieldy.

🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:21 AM

Integ:

Andrew Zoll:
unlimited bookmarks, a one tap-to-add solution, and searchable data to return to the information you want to remember later easily.

I use Favorites in lieu of Bookmarks. I do so because:

1) Favorites are unlimited, Bookmarks are limited to 10.

2) It's an easy swipe up, one tap-to-add solution on my iPhone/iPad (or Cmd/Ctrl-D on the Desktop Logos)

3) I can move them around and organize them the way I want.

I do, however, wish we could have a search bar for the Favorites list.

That has some interesting implications. I'll look into that.

When you say you can organize them any way you want, do you mean that you can organize them anywhere, or does it have to be on the logos desktop app? I can't seem to find a way to move them at all in the Logos iPad app.

🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 1485
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:27 AM

Andrew Zoll:
or does it have to be on the logos desktop app? I can't seem to find a way to move them at all in the Logos iPad app

You are right—I've always moved them on Logos Desktop, never noticed you couldn't move them on the iOS.

Add that to my wish list, along with having searchable favorites.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 9:40 AM

Integ:

Andrew Zoll:
or does it have to be on the logos desktop app? I can't seem to find a way to move them at all in the Logos iPad app

You are right—I've always moved them on Logos Desktop, never noticed you couldn't move them on the iOS.

Add that to my wish list, along with having searchable favorites.

Yeah. I think if they added the ability to organize (move around, and create folders/subfolders) on the mobile edition, this would be an acceptable solution. I would prefer the addition of the filtering/searching options I mentioned above, but this type of solution would also be good.

🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 3
Michael McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 8:43 PM

I agree.  With most reading apps, there is a quick way to create a bookmark with just one click and you can also remove that bookmark with just one click.  Creating and deleting a favorite takes more time.  Plus, just by definition, a favorite is not equivalent to a bookmark.

Posts 7
Jim Firth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 4:24 AM

Three years have gone by and still no bookmark function that syncs to mobile devices.  Logos is an extremely powerful, versatile program. I'm surprised they've overlooked this simple feature that is essential for anyone doing regular devotional reading.

I've been using Favorites, but as Andrew said, is unnecessarily complicated.  

Hoping someone from the development department will see this thread and see the validity of this feature request.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS