A13 - Growl

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 41
MajorCedar | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 5:47 AM

Can someone explain Growl?  Should Logos users like myself get it?

Posts 104
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 5:52 AM

Its the sound a leopard makes when it consumes the works of Luther and Calvin.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 5:54 AM

Ha! I read the subject line and thought it was the sound of a Logos Mac user complaining about the new alpha version. Wink

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:01 AM

MajorCedar:

Can someone explain Growl?  Should Logos users like myself get it?

It's lets apps notify you when things happen - eg indexing your library, new tweets have arrived (Ecofon). http://growl.info/ It's a great utility to have

See examples here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11336.aspx?PageIndex=2

Posts 1464
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:02 AM

you know how sometimes programs inform you of something? Download is finished, search is running, DVD is done being ripped, etc. Typically, if you're not looking at the program when it displays the message, you don't see it.

Growl is a system-wide messenger, highly customizable, that displays these messages from every program, so that you always see them regardless of whether it's minimized or whatnot. It's little, and it's free.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:30 AM

Ben:
Growl is a system-wide messenger, highly customizable, that displays these messages from every program, so that you always see them regardless of whether it's minimized or whatnot. It's little, and it's free.

Growl is one of those Mac-type things, that "just work", you can use it as is, or customize it to tell you you when your shirts are dry in the dryer. I would recommend that every Mac user add it to their system. Windows users? There is a growl for windows, but frankly you guys just aren't worthing of it. Stick out tongue

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:25 AM

Rosie Perera:
Ha! I read the subject line and thought it was the sound of a Logos Mac user complaining about the new alpha version. Wink
I hear they are making a version of this for Windows called "Grumble" Stick out tongue 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 453
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:07 PM

I thought the Windows version was called Fumble...Wink At least that is what I could call it on my Windows machine.

all about Christ,

David

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:27 PM

David Buckham:

I thought the Windows version was called Fumble...Wink At least that is what I could call it on my Windows machine.

I thought the Windows version was called Tumble, so I could use it in my washing machine and/or dryer... Smile

Speaking of which, have you ever seen DryerFox (it's Firefix -- fully functional -- running inside a dryer, tumbling around -- very funny -- written by the husband of a friend of mine): http://olddougnewtricks.blogspot.com/2007/04/dryerfox-its-like-firefox-but-inside.html; requires downloading/installing Apollo runtime to get it to work, but it's worth the laugh.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:47 AM

I found I already had Growl on my iMac and I added Logos 4 Mac to the applications it works with yesterday. Today, for reasons best known to itself. Logos embarked on a 500 Mb+ download followed by a 5 hour index (which only lasted about an hour before it presumably completed). I right-clicked on (or did I hover over?) the little Logos icon in the Menu bar and saw it was updating resources. I'm not sure which ones, as I haven't downloaded anything since 13a, which downloaded and re-indexed itself on Tuesday. I hoped for more information via Growl but … nothing!

How do you get Growl to work? I tried hovering over the Growl icon … nothing. I tried right-clicking … little preferences menu opened. There must be something obvious that I'm not doing properly.

Please help.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:57 AM

Growl notifications haven't been added for downloads yet.  Growl should have notified you via pop up when the program began indexing if growl is working correctly.  Did it do this?

Mike Kares

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:04 PM

Now you mention it, something did appear mostly hidden by the right-click drop down– sort of ghostly – but it vanished before I could get rid of the right-click drop-down to read it. Was that it?

Huh?

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:17 PM

Alan Macgregor:
Today, for reasons best known to itself. Logos embarked on a 500 Mb+ download followed by a 5 hour index (which only lasted about an hour before it presumably completed).

This thread might be helpful.  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11573.aspx I'm going to ask Melissa to post resource updates in both Logos 4 and Logos 4 Mac so that the Mac users won't be in the dark.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:25 PM

Alan Macgregor:
Now you mention it, something did appear mostly hidden by the right-click drop down– sort of ghostly – but it vanished before I could get rid of the right-click drop-down to read it. Was that it?

That sounds about right.  Congrats, Growl notifications are working for you!

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:47 PM

Tom

Thanks. Now I know! Big Smile

Posts 152
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 7:56 AM

I found that Growl will only include Logos after you do a "Rebuild Index" and after the Index is complete - you must quit Logos and Restart it. Then you will find Growl has discovered Logos and it will appear in the Application List.

At least that was my experience today when I did the Growl install.

-Mike

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS