Slow Information...Normal?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 41
MajorCedar | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:48 AM

No problems to speak of, this is just an observation.  This morning I'm translating and am noticing two things and want to see if this is on par with everyone else's experience and if they will go away as we get closer to the finished product.  First, the information window is slow to produce detailed results about a (Greek or Hebrew) word when the cursor is placed over the word.  It is much less responsive than the "info" window Logos 3.  Second, if I'm moving and working between programs (e.g., Logos and Pages), the responsive time for Logos program to respond to any command increases.  So, if I've looked up details about a word, and then move to Pages to write more and then come back to Logos for something, it takes Logos some time to respond to whatever command, especially if I'm wanting more 'information' concerning a word in the text.  

Thoughts?

Posts 41
MajorCedar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:18 PM

Surely somebody will respond to my question?  Is the program supposed to or (at least) expected to run slower at this point?

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:27 PM

Yes.  I have the same problem.  Speed improvements should show up once beta releases begin.  Alpha development is all about adding features.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:12 AM

MajorCedar:
First, the information window is slow to produce detailed results about a (Greek or Hebrew) word when the cursor is placed over the word.

I am hopeful that the speed will increase some, but this is also a problem for the PC version. I really hope Logos makes some good improvement in this area, info window should be almost instant.

MajorCedar:
Second... time for Logos program to respond to any command increases.

I've not had this problem, or at least I haven't noticed it.

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:36 PM

MajorCedar:
First, the information window is slow to produce detailed results about a (Greek or Hebrew) word when the cursor is placed over the word.

As someone else noted, this is also a problem on the Windows installation. The current Beta (4.0b Beta 9) allows customization of the Information window which does increase speed a bit. Also it can be set to only look up information after you click on the target word. This is a tremendous performance boost. This should appear in the Mac version before too long.

MajorCedar:
 It is much less responsive than the "info" window Logos 3.

It's doing more.

Posts 40
Joe Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 6:46 PM

THe Logos folks have now given users a forum to vote for their most desirable new feature, or in this case we might view it as a fix.  None the less, be sure and cast a vote for speeding up the info window.

Here's the link:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4

Posts 36
Darin Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 10:06 PM

I am also experiencing slow load times for the information window, and an instant speed information window would be at the top of my list for the final product.  I'm not sure if this is outside of the realm of what is possible from a programming standpoint, but as it is right now using the information window feels, well, cumbersome.  Which is too bad because this is a great feature!

www.darinallen.org

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:49 AM

Darin Allen:
an instant speed information window would be at the top of my list for the final product.

In the Windows Beta (4.0b), I set the Information window as close to minimum info as I could. The first click too 5 seconds, and subsequent clicks took about 2–3 seconds. I don't know if this is optimized yet or not, but it is far from instant. It is still faster than waiting for the lexicon. I am running XP under Parallels 5.

I would expect the Mac version to be similar when the Information window is implemented and optimized.

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:22 AM

The "voting" seems only to apply to the Windows version. For the Mac, I'm sure that text mark up would receive a few votes. It doesn't in Windows because text mark up is currently available in Windows.

Rich+

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:33 AM

Monroe R Miller:

The "voting" seems only to apply to the Windows version. For the Mac, I'm sure that text mark up would receive a few votes. It doesn't in Windows because text mark up is currently available in Windows.

If it is available in Windows, it will be available for the Mac. It just takes time to build the interface.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS