logos 4 not ready

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
MICHAEL H BRANIGIN | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:18 AM

I have been using Logos-4 for about 3 weeks for study and for PowerPoint slide production.  Now, I have had enough.  I have gone back to Logos-3.  Logos-4 is much slower, is user-unfriendly, cannot do some things that I depend on, and does not do some things I depend as well as Logos-3. 

Some examples:

1) start up time -- to load and get to reading a desired Bible verse takes about 2 times as long in Logos-4

2) search time -- time from hitting Return to seeing the verses takes twice as long in Logos-4

3) typing in "book chapter:verse" -- often Logos-4 is doing something else in the background, so the feedback is sluggish

3) copy/paste verses from Logos to PowerPoint -- Logos 4 has a mind of its own.  Sometimes the entry of the verse selection into the copy frame does not update the selected verses; Copy/Paste to PowerPoint always creates a new slide; Copy and then goto PowerPoint and Paste does not pick up the style of the selected paste-to area, i.e. while creating a slide, copy and then paste does replace any selected text, but it changes the formatting -- creating extra work to fix the formatting.

4) copy verse list -- cannot do in Logos 4 (feature remove that worked fine in Logos 3)

I write this with the knowledge that I will be told I need to upgrade to a Quad-Core i7 to run all these features I never knew I needed.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:24 AM

MICHAELHBRANIGIN:
I write this with the knowledge that I will be told I need to upgrade to a Quad-Core i7 to run all these features I never knew I needed.

If you upgraded to a Quad-core i7 Michael, you wouldn't be having these problems. Big Smile (Didn't want to disappoint you.)

L3 is a good product, I am sure you will be happy using it with the new resources you gained when you upgraded. I still have it installed and use it for vocabulary lists. 

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:48 AM

MICHAELHBRANIGIN:

Well Michael, part of the situation relates to what hardware you are using, I occasionally run LOGOS 4 on my netbook (ASUS 100HE w/2GB Ram and N270 ATOM) .  This computer is suitable only for reading a text without searching/passage guide/sophisticated stuff (it bogs down when I have more than 20 or so notes in the text even).  Then again, it gives me 8-10 hours of use on a single charge and is pretty readable.  It is pathetic when using reverse interlinears / multiple passage guides/other study stuff. so its according to your usage.  That said, my quad i7 iMac runs it pretty well but, as with all computers that I have used in my 40 years of using computers, is to slow. 

LOGOS 3 is a well thought out and mature product that is not obsolete in any sense of the word.  If it does your job well, more power to you.  LOGOS 4 is different from LOGOS 3 in many ways, most of which I find to be superior to LOGOS 3. Enough so that I haven't spun up LOGOS 3 in ages.  It appears that your mileage varies from mine.  I  hope that LOGOS keeps V3 available for many years to come to support people with slower/older computers on which LOGOS 4 is won't run fast enough.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:57 AM

MICHAELHBRANIGIN:
have been using Logos-4 for about 3 weeks for study and for PowerPoint slide production.  Now, I have had enough.  I have gone back to Logos-3.  Logos-4 is much slower, is user-unfriendly, cannot do some things that I depend on, and does not do some things I depend as well as Logos-3. 

I hated Logos 3 and never used it, always choosing to use an unnamed product by the competition. Logos 4, however, I love and use constantly. I seldom use that other product anymore either now. To each his own.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS