Mark up plans

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Quentin Byers | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 26 2015 2:07 PM

I am using Logos 6 and would like to develop a consistent plan for marking up not only the Biblical text but also the other resources. For instance, I have created a Visual Filter that puts a single box around all singular pronouns (especially you) and a double box around plural pronouns (especially you) in my Bibles, Greek and Hebrew text. Very helpful.

But that means I do not want to use those highlights (the boxes) in another way to avoid confusion. Thus, just to use the yellow highlighter on all important, interesting, challenging material is not detailed enough for me.

So, I am wondering if someone has developed a plan/scheme that is consistent and helpful? Would love to hear what people say. Thanks

Posts 27939
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2015 2:15 PM

You should look into precepts ministries. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10232
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2015 2:41 PM

alabama24:

You should look into precepts ministries. 

... which is to be found (except https://www.logos.com/product/43350/kay-arthur-precepts-for-life-pfl-archive-1988-2009 ) on Vyrso, probably best by author: https://vyrso.com/products/search?q=precepts&Author=17196%7CKay+Arthur&start=&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2015 3:11 PM

Quentin Byers:
I am wondering if someone has developed a plan/scheme that is consistent and helpful?

Back when Mo Proctor did his blog post about this, he compared the VF to those old-fashioned clear overlays you used to find in an anatomy book...the base layer was the bones, then one layer was the circulatory system, another the nervous system, etc. I remember being fascinated by those things in my World Book when I was a kid in the late 60s.

Needless to say, I was fascinated by the idea of making such overlays on the bible text using the VF feature. Alas, I was disappointed.

I have not found a way to do a *comprehensive* overlay like I wanted. I figured out how to do very simple stuff, like singular vs plural, active vs passive, etc. I tinkered with the superscript and subscript tools in the VF tool, adding letter abbreviations, so I could see these basic things. But fitting every possibility native to the Greek text wasn't possible.

One of the things the under-documented Logos software has suffered from (beyond the general under-documentation) is a shortage of good worked examples. I was hoping the FL groups would fix this, and they've helped. But there isn't nearly enough participation by creative, artsy people there to give us a broad set of choices in highlighter palettes, VF schemes, and the like.

So the bottom line is, you are probably your best source for a good consistent plan for markups. You'll be re-inventing the wheel a bit, but the rest of us have had to do that as well. I would encourage you to join a few of the FL groups and see what others have posted there...some good ideas exist, even if in short supply.

And if you are the one who comes up with the unified theory of everything (with regard to markups in Logos, not physics), please share it on the FL groups! (If you come up with that theory with regard to physics, I want an autographed picture of you accepting your Nobel prize.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2015 3:59 PM

In case it is useful to someone, there is a Faithlife group that has 34 different highlighting palettes that you may find of interest to use/modify...

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2015 5:34 PM

Quentin Byers:

So, I am wondering if someone has developed a plan/scheme that is consistent and helpful? Would love to hear what people say. Thanks

I found the follow threads helpful. Here people share some of their ideas:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/80182.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/101866.aspx

Posts 14
Preceptgirl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 7:48 PM

Hi! I found this post when I googled "how to mark you singular and you plural in logo" haha and was surprised to see how recently you posted this. So I cant answer your question but can you answer mine? =) How did you mark you and you plural? I learned it in Camp logos but cant remember how to do it!!! Thanks!! Cindy

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 6:47 AM

Maybe this will help (visual filter):

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 3
Curt Nordhielm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 8:57 AM

Cindy,

I found this utube link and even though it is for Logos 5 it worked in my Logos 6. Look at other utube videos. I keep seeing more.

Glad I could be of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwomqDK0hRM

Posts 14
Preceptgirl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 8:04 AM
Thank you so much!!!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS