How Logos 6.5 SR-1 succeeded in Windows 10

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 28 2015 11:46 AM

I posted in the "installation failed" posts how using "run as administrator" enabled Logos 6.5 SR-1 to succeed in installing itself. Windows 10 is very security conscious and this option appears to be a way to overcome any block Win 10 uses when loading Logos 6 normally - even if you are the administrator as I am. It was established when installing the OS.

Right click on the Logos 6 icon, select "run as administrator" and the installation went smoothly. When I needed to restart Logos 6 to complete the install I repeated the "run as administrator" and the installation completed perfectly to SR-1.

Posts 8022
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 12:46 PM

Logos 6 was designed to run as a regular user, and we do not recommend running it as administrator. While it may temporarily work around some file permissions problems, it generally ends up causing more problems long-term.

If the problem is file permissions, it's best to go and fix those directly, which should be a permanent solution. We have a support article that may help: https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/error-writing-to-file 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 1:43 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Logos 6 was designed to run as a regular user, and we do not recommend running it as administrator. While it may temporarily work around some file permissions problems, it generally ends up causing more problems long-term.

Is there any easy way to revert a Windows 10 machine back to Windows 7? The permissions thing is ridiculous.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 24961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 2:37 PM

Super.Tramp:
The permissions thing is ridiculous.

It's not purely a Windows 10 issue, but ...

"Click Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery.  You should see an option to go back to a previous version of Windows.  Click the appropriate button to start the rollback process."

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 8022
LogosEmployee

Super.Tramp:
The permissions thing is ridiculous.

Not sure what you're specifically referring to, here. We have had thousands of customers update to Windows 10 (from 7 and 8.1) so far, and only a tiny handful have experienced problems.

My recommendation would be to fix any permissions problems you encounter, rather than reverting to a six-year-old OS.

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 4:22 PM

Bradley

The link you provided did not help a great deal for Windows 10. I did go into the Logos 4 properties but could not find the same information to which the link referred. I did select myself as "owner" - my name on the laptop, but am not sure it changed anything. I had system, owner and administrator as all who are allowed security (permission) access to the Logos 4 folder (and sub folders I assume).  I don't know if I succeeded in changing anything. Thanks for the link, but it doesn't address Windows 10. Perhaps that would be a good update to the link you provided to address this "installation failed" problem. Your very savvy staff may be able to identify the settings we need to access in Win10 to help us walk through the needed permissions change. It will help those of us less savvy to follow the steps needed to ensure proper security settings are accomplished.

I love Windows 10. It loads Logos 6 much faster than in Win7. Help with the bugs is much appreciated.

Warren

Posts 24961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 5:18 PM

Not sure what you're specifically referring to, here. We have had thousands of customers update to Windows 10 (from 7 and 8.1) so far, and only a tiny handful have experienced problems.

Thanks for the stat, Bradley.

My recommendation would be to fix any permissions problems you encounter, rather than reverting to a six-year-old OS.

Yup - the permissions problem happens on Windows 7/8 as well!!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 7:23 AM

When I followed the link provided by Bradley and did the change in permissions in Windows 10 it resulted in Win 10 creating a second logos.exe (2) and blanking out the icon  for Logos on the Win10 taskbar. It appears that the change I made following the link's guidance was not right for Win10.

I deleted the logos.exe (2) and placed the original logos.exe on the taskbar and all seems to be OK. I guess I'll have to wait for another update from Logos to learn if the permissions issue is resolved in Win10 or I will be caught up in the same unending repeat of Logos 6 trying to update itself and failing until I run logos.exe as administrator. ??

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS