Adding web articles to library

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 260
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 29 2015 5:57 AM

I regularly come across articles online at sites I respect that would be great additions to my library. They often cover topics or passages that would be of great help when doing my own searches. What I'm not sure about is how to best add web page based articles to Logos. I suspect one or more personal books may be the best method, but I'm not sure this is the case when there may be 1-3 new ones a week. My understanding is a personal book needs quite a bit of formatting and then needs to be recompiled every time a new article would been added to be truly useful in Logos. Is there a better way to do this? Would this be a good feature request to handle these articles more easily in Logos 7? Right now I have been saving these to OneNote, which is easy to save and perform searches on, but I would ultimately like everything in a single location.

Posts 4700
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 6:07 AM

If you want the article to function as a resource within Logos, then a PB is the answer. If you simply want the text of the article in Logos then you could copy and paste into a Logos Note file. If just getting back to the article quickly would suffice then you can copy and paste a link to the article within a not file.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 6:35 AM

Maybe this isn't the best way, but I make a separate personal book for each article. I copy and paste the article into Notepad to strip out the formatting, then copy and paste into Word. After bolding the title and headings and checking Bible reference format, it's ready to make into a personal book. The entire process takes less than five minutes. An article with a lot of footnotes obviously takes a lot more time and effort.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 1645
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 6:43 AM

danwdoo:
Right now I have been saving these to OneNote, which is easy to save and perform searches on, but I would ultimately like everything in a single location.

Hi danwdoo. It's probably just as easy to paste them as a new article into a Notes file in Logos. As you say, this allows you to search them (even off-line) later.

The only time I've used a personal book for this kind of thing is where a blogger has completed a whole series on a specific topic.

Posts 1725
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 6:53 AM

Generally, if it's a brief blog post on a particular passage, I paste it into a note. If it's a longer blog post or series on a broad topic, I'll make a PB. (Tim Challies did a series a year or two ago on false teachers that i thought was PB-worthy.)

Posts 260
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 7:13 AM

I guess one concern I had about notes was reaching a point where there are so many that they become difficult to navigate/find particular note documents. I have a few notes I frequently paste verses into, but I have to find and open them first since only the last opened note appears in the context menu. Has this become an issue with those who have large numbers of note documents?

Posts 27939
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 7:16 AM

For performance reasons, and for functionality reasons, a personal book is the way to go. It isn't much more work than pasting into a note document but is a better practice for the future. The simplest method would be to simply create a "misc" web article book (perhaps one per year?). When you come across a new article, copy and paste it into the .docx file. Make the title "heading one" and the rest "body." You can get fancier than this, but you don't have to. This should only take one minute from copy to finished. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 260
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 9:23 AM

Ok. This gives me some good information to think through.

Thanks!

Posts 4700
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 10:48 AM

alabama24:
create a "misc" web article book (perhaps one per year?). When you come across a new article, copy and paste it into the .docx file. Make the title "heading one" and the rest "body."

That's a good suggestion Bama

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 10:48 AM

danwdoo:
how to best add web page based articles to Logos

I agree with the others...a personal book is the most efficient way if you want to hit it in searches.  If you simply want to reference the page, you can copy the link to your Favorites.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 9078
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 11:09 AM

Fredc:

alabama24:
create a "misc" web article book (perhaps one per year?). When you come across a new article, copy and paste it into the .docx file. Make the title "heading one" and the rest "body."

That's a good suggestion Bama

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 260
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 4:34 AM

alabama24:

For performance reasons, and for functionality reasons, a personal book is the way to go. It isn't much more work than pasting into a note document but is a better practice for the future. The simplest method would be to simply create a "misc" web article book (perhaps one per year?). When you come across a new article, copy and paste it into the .docx file. Make the title "heading one" and the rest "body." You can get fancier than this, but you don't have to. This should only take one minute from copy to finished. 

Do page breaks matter at all? Should I be sure that there is a page break between each article or will Logos ignore this? Also, I do not have a body style but instead a normal style. I assume this will work as well?

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:39 AM

danwdoo:
Do page breaks matter at all?

In terms of the searchability of the PBs, no, page breaks won't matter.

If you tend to read your collected article resources serially, then page breaks will make things look more organized.

You can also insert page numbers with the PB code for that if you want to be able to jump to a certain page, or add a TOC, for example.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 260
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:14 AM

Doc B:

danwdoo:
Do page breaks matter at all?

In terms of the searchability of the PBs, no, page breaks won't matter.

If you tend to read your collected article resources serially, then page breaks will make things look more organized.

You can also insert page numbers with the PB code for that if you want to be able to jump to a certain page, or add a TOC, for example.

Ok. Page Breaks are simple enough to add that it might be nice to do for the long run. I settled on one PB per source. So I have one from The Gospel Coalition, one from Ligonier, etc... and will keep them organized that way. I saw a reference in a post that there is a topic tag that can be used. Would this allow tagged articles in a book to appear in the topic guide list? I searched the Wiki page and could find nothing about it.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS