Penguin Commentaries - availability in Logos and general reception

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 31 2015 6:35 PM

The time has finally arrived, and I've run out of room on my bookshelves before FL has the books I want in digital form (or I can afford them!).  Consequently, I'm now having to give away books that might be of some use to make room for books that are definitely of some use.

I've four Penguin commentaries on the gospels (St Matthew - JC Fenton, St Mark - DE Nineham, St Luke - GB Caird and St John - John Marsh).  I am thinking of giving them away, but before I do, does anybody who has them in paperback copies rate them?  They don't seem to have good ratings on the best commentaries website, and given my numerous Logos commentaries, I'm wondering if it's time for them to go.  Does anybody know whether Logos has a relationship with Penguin or might be likely to add these at any point?

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 7:15 PM

I have no knowledge of this set. On a different note: We are hopefully moving across town. After 8 years of thinking we were going to "move home," we have decided to settle down where we are. I have had boxes and boxes of books in storage... and I decided it was time to let (most of) them go. 

My wife and I used several websites to look to sell books back. When I found ones that someone wanted, I decided if the "price was right." If so, I sold it to that company. If not, I donated it to a library. In some cases, I decided that even the "good money" was worth passing on for the donation. 

To complicate things slightly: I ended up selling books to 7 different stores, each with their own rules about things. The important thing here was the rules for "free shipping." I put sticky notes on the books I decided to sell, along with the prices for the top three stores willing to buy the book. This allowed me to ensure I had enough books to sell to each store to get the free shipping and to make the most money. I am getting about $200 back... some of which will go to FL. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 7:24 PM

I had them and found them pretty decent critical commentaries. If they came available in Logos for a decent price I would add then in at a snap, but all in all they are nothing too special. I cannot say there is a series in Logos that would be very similar... Possibly the Westminster Bible Companion series (I would rate the WBC higher than the Pelican (Penguin) Gospel Commentaries ). I do remember remembering that the John Gospel seemed to me to be very well done. I have including the links to the WBC so you can contrast and compare the viewable samples with the Penguin ones if you want.

Westminster Bible Companion: Matthew

Westminster Bible Companion: Mark

Westminster Bible Companion: Luke

Westminster Bible Companion: John

-Dan

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 8:10 PM

On second thought they remind me in style (but UTB is more conservative, and perhaps a bit better done) to the Understanding the Bible series:

Understanding the Bible Commentary: Mark

Understanding the Bible Commentary: Luke

-Dan

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:44 AM

Before we moved out to Cambodia, we got rid of most our books by donating them to the local jail for their library. Almost all of the inexpensive paperbacks went there. More expensive hardcovers we put on Amazon, or sold to websites - but we didn't want to bother about 10 Cents per paperback, when there was the chance that some inmates might come to read some good Christian literature through our donation!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 3:27 AM

This is just info for those of you who have or had large paper libraries- buy an inexpensive "FoodSaver" and use it to seal your books before you store them. My paper library was in excess of 10k books have given some large collections to a couple churches, but still have thousands at home.

Sealing them insures that years of storage will not destroy the books, and the cost is minimal 1/1000 what it would cost to replace the volumes destroyed.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 3:55 AM

Dan Francis:

I had them and found them pretty decent critical commentaries. If they came available in Logos for a decent price I would add then in at a snap, but all in all they are nothing too special. 

That's my conclusion too.  They are "pretty decent", but nothing special. I cannot quite bring myself to part with them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Most of the books I'm getting rid of are accidental duplicates or old paperbacks.  They're worth little in monetary value.  They will be given away to charity, which means that they will make small amounts of money for a good cause.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:02 AM

I'm also one of those who strategically gave away most of my paper library although I still have a selection of resources that have not yet become available in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:13 AM

Rayner:
accidental duplicates

I get in trouble with my wife over those. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:04 AM

I would buy that one, want to sell it to me? Best way of transferring money would then be that I send enough one-dollar banknotes in an envelope by postal mail as that's actually much cheaper than a Paypal-transfer:

Rayner:
St John - John Marsh).
I'm specializing in the GJn (among other things). I remember long ago I even bought one book from Finland to be sent to someone in Russia, by mailing a couple of handfuls of all various € coins and no banknotes since I didn't happen to have any in Sweden to the seller (a book store) in Finland by plain ordinary postal mail, I did this since he had sent me an .html -file of a now rare New Testament version (Common English Version New Testament) (which is in the English Bibles Collection on logos.com gathering interest) which had been popular. The book the Russian wanted was mailed to him by insured mail. I know that when mailing certain things such as a key You have to package a certain way.

I've noticed Jack Hairston cites at least the Lk volume by G. B. Caird, in the commentary he is posting/working on and updating on Faithlife.com which You can download and use in parallel with for example Your Bibles in the form of the small yellow note-indications which come up. I bought the volume a while before I knew of and joined Jack's group. I think it's a great volume and it's also a favourite author of mine especially since he worked on the Revised English Bible (REB) team until his untimely death in 1984. That Bible version was completed in 1987 after which it was typed into a computer, typeset and came out in 1989 and was revised in 2002:

Rayner:
I've four Penguin commentaries on the gospels (St Matthew - JC Fenton, St Mark - DE Nineham, St Luke - GB Caird and St John - John Marsh).  I am thinking of giving them away, but before I do, does anybody who has them in paperback copies rate them?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:08 AM

I have got the Penguin commentary for Revelation somewhere!Geeked. It is quite thick and in hardback. Now where did I put it? I think it is quite rare and hard to get hold of.Geeked

P AGeeked

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:14 AM

Revelation John Sweet published SCM/ Pelican  (Penguin) SeriesGeeked

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:17 AM

Rayner:
St John - John Marsh).

Unix:
I would buy that one, want to sell it to me? Best way of transferring money would then be that I send enough one-dollar banknotes in an envelope by postal mail as that's actually much cheaper than a Paypal-transfer:

Erm, not yet.  I've decided to hang on to them all for now and hope that Faithlife might publish them in the future...

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 11:21 AM

Look what I have found!!!!!!!!!!!Big Smile

J H Houlden  Paul's letters from prison Penguin / pelican commentary now published under SCM     Same number of pages as my pelican paper copy

https://www.logos.com/product/47448/scm-pauline-studies

Big Smile

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 11:40 AM

Fenton and Nineham both written chapters in this book

https://www.logos.com/product/30082/resurrection-essays-in-honour-of-leslie-houlden

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 11:45 AM

J L Houlden wrote this book

https://www.logos.com/product/7117/ethics-and-the-new-testament

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2015 12:05 PM

I have the following:

Saint Matthew  J C Fenton       Penguin

Saint Mark        D, E Nineham   Penguin

Saint Luke         G B Caird          Penguin

Saint John          John Marsh       Penguin

Paul's Letter to the Romans    J C' O Neil    Pelican

Paul's Letters from Prison J H Houlden         Pelican

The Pastoral Epistles        J  L  Houlden       Pelican

Revelation                          John Sweet         SCM

The Old Testament Prophets    E W Heaton  Pelican

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 3:34 AM

Bump

Just in case you missed it!

P A

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 4:08 AM

P A:

Bump

Here was me thinking that I'd missed the Penguin commentaries going over to Logos format.  I've searched and I can't see anything...  Anybody heard anything?

Posts 10029
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2016 4:37 AM

Rayner:

P A:

Bump

Here was me thinking that I'd missed the Penguin commentaries going over to Logos format.  I've searched and I can't see anything...  Anybody heard anything?

Maybe it was only one of those Penguin commentaries offered through SCM. However, it seems the book was/books were purged in the recent PrePub cleanup, or there were other issues with producing those.

That's how the product page PA linked above was last saved by archive.org in September 2015: https://web.archive.org/web/20150927063904/https://www.logos.com/es/producto/47448/scm-pauline-studies 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS